Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

You'll be moonwalkin in no time I'm sure!  You'd be amazed at what people are seeing in Ohio.  These local kids are insane!  Busts about every other week even with the Judge sending them to prison they're still doing it.  Slowed down a bit because of that but it's still comnig into town on a regular basis.  Crazynuts!

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Gotta run, fifteen feet left of 150 of edging in the front yard, I do it by hand with a straight hoe, a broom and shovel.

No way, that sounds like it's way to hard, I would have to go electric or something that makes fumes, just me.

• Haha 2

It's not bad, been doing it for decades, used to be once a year now it's three times. Used up one spade that had a good handle, have a hand me down semicircle blade hoe that comes straight off the handle.

What's bad is my discovery of rizomes and the other thingy. Been trying to kill crabgrass here for years. If I still had the original bermuda lawn I would not have to edge at all. So those rizomes are the shoots that grow sideways out of the fescue, it's how it spreads to cover well. The pile of trees at the curb from one end to the other ten feet in and six feet tall that sat there for a year after Hugo just ruined the lawn that we had before

Dag-nabbit I'm the one that put the sideways growing fescue in the lawn.

UNCLE!

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

bermuda lawn

that is what all of my gardens end up as.   Turning it under makes it come back thicker. The deeper you turn it under, the deeper its roots get. I cut sod from where I want to plant. I have a love/hate thing with it. The roots break up this hard dirt and I find earthworms in it... Flip side... can't get rid of it.

Pretty amazing stuff. It survives here. Well enough to need to cut it. Won't make a lawn w/o watering... but you still need to cut either way. I  got tif-green. It came with the place. It went several years w/o care. When I saw what it was, I cultivated it... errrr, gave it a running start on the weeds. Early spring weeding is easy. Anything green is a weed. The grass doesn't grow until it gets warm.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

The grass doesn't grow until it gets warm

On 9/9/2019 at 10:26 AM, WillyBob said:

it is almost cold this AM... only gonna make 85`. Better dig out the warm robe.

Something wrong with the big picture or is it me?  Yea, yea I get it BUT

8 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

there has to be a Texas joke in there somewhere

Oh, I'm sure they'll find one when they read this.  Warming up again here for the next few days.  High 80's and I can't find my robe!

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, WillyBob said:
10 hours ago, JohnJ said:

bermuda lawn

that is what all of my gardens end up as.

Spray it to kill it, don't worry about that cancer scare it can't be all that bad. :wacko:

5 hours ago, WillyBob said:

there has to be a Texas joke in there somewhere

There always is, besides California there the next to be picked on, excluding yankees there always fun. :lol:

• Haha 2

Texas pride is fun.

Can't tell that joke

In Australia Queensland and NewSouthWales pride themselves.

especially their state's beer.

In NSW, the beer is Foster's.  QLD, it's Castemaine's XXXX

A gent from NSW asks why they put 4X's on Castlemaine's...  They [Queenslanders] can't spell beer

We appreciate green here... so much that you can get your grass painted green in the winter. 

.... and TucsonTurf is in the artificial turf biz. ... truth

was walking from the doghouse and scared a tarantula back into its burrow. Been waiting to see it. We have several "gopher holes" in the yard. We don't have gophers. There is a little topsoil under the grass. Spose that's enough.  Webs in the top of the hole is a tell that someone is home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

was walking from the doghouse and scared a tarantula back into its burrow. Been waiting to see it. We have several "gopher holes" in the yard. We don't have gophers. There is a little topsoil under the grass. Spose that's enough.  Webs in the top of the hole is a tell that someone is home.

That sucks, couldn't live there or anywhere with tarantulas, not going to happen. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

tarantula

almost put my hand on one while in death valley. was doing some climbing and the guy next to me kicked my hand out of the way, i looked down and I was about to set it on a tarantula.  Not sure if those ones are venomous; but, definitely ugly.

i grew up around black widows ... they were everywhere. Anytime cleaning the garage or patio, had to carefully pick things up in case there was one under it.

Had one in my long hair once. don’t know how long it was there. Happened on a job site, went back to the shop, we’d hang around and drink a few beers, then i had about a 30 minute drive home. Water from the shower rinsed him out of my head and i screamed when i saw it. My roommate said i was acting like a girl. 

• Haha 3