Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

from What About the Morgans?

PETA stand for People Eating Tasty Animals

topless?

I'm for equality...

Unfortunately, most who will take advantage are the ones who really don't have the "physique" for it.

the weather models have come to some form of agreement. Both say we are going to get some rain. How much is a mere matter of magnitude. One calls for 1/2 -3/4in. The other calls for 2 or 3inches. 3 inches of widespread rain will cause some inconveniences. This storm is sposed to go into next week. They say that we might get some rain starting tomorrow... and here ain't Tucson. That 45 miles away. 5 miles makes a difference.

• Like 2

that's one thing I really miss living in the desert.  I can go to the lake and catch 9in bluegill. Those fillet. That's the best I can do. There is another lake. I guess it's about 75 miles and you have to pay to use it... StatePark. You can get catfish and crappie in addition to gills.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hit the ground runnin' this AM.

Had laundry to run, the fluffy cumulus clouds are looking a little heavy.  Went to the dump. I needed to go earlier this week, but we don't like going there when it's sloppy mud.

stopped at the market on my way back. Vine ripened tomatoes! Bought 2. Ate one while I was talking to the gal selling them. Ate a pepper, too. Someone wanted to know if they were hot.  No. She gave me the pepper and another tomato. 

She was here in the early 70's... left and came back

We had some laughs.... the "good ol' days". Before pavement

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

slow news day

sometimes the mundane can be made interesting

.... and some days, not

so... what you been doing?

I'm drinking yesterday's Sumatran coffee and wondering if/when it is gonna rain.

got  8hrs of "sleep" and was up at 3AM. Gave up on trying to find something entertaining and went to bed at 7PM. Wife was working.  I wonder how she is going to act when she retires? She works 60 - 70hrs/week.  I think I am going to be happy for having "the doghouse" and may expand it to include running water.

Still shopping for better speakers [short putt. R15Ms are OK, sorta, but easy to better] for the doghouse...There is a pair of RB81 II for sale locally. Unfortunately, they are attached to a pair of RF7 II and a center @ $2400.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/ele/d/amado-klipsch-rf-7-ii-rc-64-ii-rb81-ii/6972192231.html

I could go crazy and really upgrade the doghouse system... get all of that into the doghouse. No need for the center, tho.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

About ten years ago my neighbor gave me a few crappies he'd caught from his land down in the sandhills.

Hands down the absolute sweetest and best tasting fish I have ever cooked in my life. Just fried with flour and corn meal - a little S&P after a egg/milk bath.

Shouldn't name a fish like that that name!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@WillyBob

These were from his deer hunting property, acreage that was free of chemicals since he bought the land in the mid 60s. Probably before that too. He grew oates to bring in the deer, doesn't have to do that next door here... the greens and veggies then swiss chard in the winter bring them here every day of the year now! Grew stuff by the spring that enriched the pond it fed too. So I've had great catfish from the Catawba, trout from around here and the mountains too, flounder & perch, mahi-mahi and orange roughy in the 90s when it was more cheap than steak. The rainbow trout was always good, but these big crappies that each fillet almost filled the 10.5" cast iron pan I can recall to this day how clean tasting and flaky it was!

The Greeks know about food, every aspect of it! That's why their restaurants are usually good. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
5 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Crappie are OK eating. The ones I have had, had a different taste... kinda like seaweed. 

no complaints... but, I prefer bluegill...

Never had any that tasted like that, but every pond or lake can be different. But also I don't know what seaweed tasted like so there's that, was it recreational or medicinal seaweed, kind of the same anyway ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Never had any that tasted like that, but every pond or lake can be different. But also I don't know what seaweed tasted like so there's that, was it recreational or medicinal seaweed, kind of the same anyway ? 

Not agin seaweed tasting [iodine] fish.  There is a particular fish, Ash colored rudderfish --- nenue in Hawaiian, tasted of seaweed. Good eating. Similar to crappie flavor

I've had crappie from Michigan and from AZ... they have a characteristic flavor. It is a very clean taste. Not muddy at all. There IS a reason crappie and bluegill are called panfish. 

• Like 3