Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I can believe that. I picked up a guy walking down I-10. He was carrying a gas can. Could not understand one word he spoke. Kinda sounded like French with a NY accent.

That would probably be it.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I stopped and looked at that pineapple cake as I scrolled down, I needed to say something, it tasted WAY better than it looked, it was actually wet more than halfway through but not terribly sweet. I ate as much as I could, but wish I had some now. :sad:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dtel said:

I stopped and looked at that pineapple cake as I scrolled down, I needed to say something, it tasted WAY better than it looked, it was actually wet more than halfway through but not terribly sweet. I ate as much as I could, but wish I had some now. :sad:

make another one.  I just pushed the limit of my kitchen skills and made a pot of coffee (Hazelnut Creme) in honor of Shirley Booth.  I bought a new coffee pot too -- the other one got dirty.  I also ate at McDonalds while i was on my way to the store. My left hand is killing me (arthritis), it’s getting so bad that i’ve put off the purchase of my next guitar.  I just wonder if it’s wise to get another one when i don’t know how bad this hand is going to get. But then, maybe a new guitar will help it feel better?  So now you’re all caught up with my life. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

What type of arthritis?

And, I am so proud of you for making coffee without setting fire to the house.

Run of the mill Osteoarthritis. 

Thank you for the kind words ... my kitchen skills are definitely rivaling that of those little brats with their easy bake ovens. Look out Chef Boyardee!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

it’s getting so bad that i’ve put off the purchase of my next guitar.  I just wonder if it’s wise to get another one when i don’t know how bad this hand is going to get. But then, maybe a new guitar will help it feel better?

push it, Steve

Do as much as you can.  The exercise is more important than the quality of the results. As long as you enjoy it. eff anybody else's opinion. It's art!!! Exactly the way I wrote/composed it.

We ain't gittin any younger.  I went to hellinahandbasket when I was laid up so long that I couldn't load my boat on the car. The rowing was very good for my back. I'm afraid atrophy has pretty well shot many stupid ideas of doing it now.  Looking for a truck. 4 or 6 banger is fine. I'm only planning on using it on weekend -- to pull stumps.  Nah nah... for woodcutting and trips to the lake.  Only has to run good for 10 miles at a time. lol

pineapple upside down cake..... yummmmmm

now I want one.

Have you ever had a Mandarin Orange Cake? Don't be fooled by the mention of citrus. Not a hint other than the name. You do use them in it. W/o zest, they are just sweet and juicy... no twang. Like caramel cake of some sort

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I also ate at McDonalds while i was on my way to the store. My left hand is killing me (arthritis), it’s getting so bad that i’ve put off the purchase of my next guitar.

It's the McDonalds and alot of ketchup, it will get you every time. :huh:

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

Have you ever had a Mandarin Orange Cake?

Don't think I did.

5 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

(Hazelnut Creme)

I love Hazelnut flavor, especially Frangelico liqueur over ice.

'

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Run of the mill Osteoarthritis. 

Have you tried glucosamine? We take Glucosamine and MSM every day. Kinda like vitamins, I can't tell I'm taking it but certainly know if I stop.

I would hate to know you weren't able to play guitar. I've been putting in at least 30 minutes a day, which has helped tremendously. I had stopped for about six months and was goind to play for a party and almost could do anything. Amazing what a small amount of practice can do.

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

YES

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/health/red-meat-heart-cancer.html

Public health officials for years have urged Americans to limit consumption of red meat and processed meats because of concerns that these foods are linked to heart disease, cancer and other ills.

But on Monday, in a remarkable turnabout, an international collaboration of researchers produced a series of analyses concluding that the advice, a bedrock of almost all dietary guidelines, is not backed by good scientific evidence.

If there are health benefits from eating less beef and pork, they are small, the researchers concluded. Indeed, the advantages are so faint that they can be discerned only when looking at large populations, the scientists said, and are not sufficient to tell individuals to change their meat-eating habits.

“The certainty of evidence for these risk reductions was low to very low,” said Bradley Johnston, an epidemiologist at Dalhousie University in Canada and leader of the group publishing the new research in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

The new analyses are among the largest such evaluations ever attempted and may influence future dietary recommendations. In many ways, they raise uncomfortable questions about dietary advice and nutritional research, and what sort of standards these studies should be held to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another substance to look at that is indeed sulfur like what used to be in root vegetables. It hasn't been since cultures have moved away from "natural" fertilizers for farms. It tastes nasty but I put OJ in the back of my mouth like I'm going to take a BC Powder throw it in then chase it. You would have to plan on cutting your nails more often and getting haircuts more often too, but it helps with joint inflammation among other things. Look for OptiMSM and research it to see if it might be worth it for you. With a family history of arthritis and broken bones, hyper extended knees long ago, when they started acting up five or six years ago (@ 50) I started utilizing it and won't quit it now.

https://www.amazon.com/Kala-Health-Crystals-Supplement-Inflammation/dp/B07GDT5ZD8

@dtel

Pineapple upside down cake is one of my faves too, haven't had it homemade in too long now. Right up there with pecan pie done right!

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

. You would have to plan on cutting your nails more often and getting haircuts more often too, but it helps with joint inflammation among other things.

If my nails or hair grew any faster I would have to deal with them twice a week. But my joints do tend to get inflamed, but that's a totally different subject. 

• Like 1

Hope all of you guys get better, fighting low platelets induced by one of my life-sustaining Rx's (the dr said) funny it started after six weeks of radiation and a half week of 5F___ __U that got unplugged real quick back in `07

Yea all my stuff, just the above and vitamins & minerals plus omega-3 and a beef liver supplement cleared the two docs looking into it. Can't force enough eggs, can't force beef liver either... that's what the www says would help.

Then the purple group of medicine in town here saying that mom had pneumonia again go to the er NOW yesterday at 5pm. Her epiglottis quit working this June and it's been difficult here.  Will not go to a "purple" hosp never-ever again. So went to the teal group they took another xray said it was just a touch, caught it early and two more pills daily for a week.

Switching all of her docs from purple to teal now.  

The teal folks take the Hippocratic Oath more seriously it seems lately! 

Should be doing the lawn and yard work now but I'm taking a respite from all of this and will do half of it later then the rest tomorrow.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, dtel said:

If my nails or hair grew any faster I would have to deal with them twice a week. But my joints do tend to get inflamed, but that's a totally different subject. 

Ya know something? When I moved to FL in late `92 my hair and nails instantly begin growing and needing maintenance way more often.

Not sure if it was the beachside tropical humidity `cause it's humid here in NC way too often, maybe it was the salt air from the ocean??? 

18 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Ya know something? When I moved to FL in late `92 my hair and nails instantly begin growing and needing maintenance way more often.

Not sure if it was the beachside tropical humidity `cause it's humid here in NC way too often, maybe it was the salt air from the ocean??? 

Probably the calcium in the water.

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

Good thinking @CECAA850 but the water was nasty and I hooked up my countertop silver impregnated charcoal filter real quick!

Where my parents lived there was a lot of the sulfur in the water.  They had an RO filter installed just to be able to drink it.  Being on well water with galvanized piping didn't help matters.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Love the idea of RO but the percentage of waste is an issue

That would be a concern with a whole house system, but most homes use a small Reverse Osmosis water filter system that just sends water to a dispenser tap at the kitchen sink, and a line to the ice maker, so the amount of water used to flush the membrane is low.