Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

Since we're talking about food and convenience, the wife just got back from the local store. She went to get 2 hot ham and cheese po-boys. She came back with some fried shrimp and catfish, plus the sandwiches great price on the fried stuff.  The catfish was the same price.

4A790516-E541-42F2-AF30-6EC8BA1813FE.jpeg

1FE34D9B-ECD4-4DD9-841A-E297B054BEB0.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

we got wings ... because they were cheap. Necks had to be free  Dad always ate the neck and back. Years later, I found out about the "oysters"

Thinking Oysters? Oh must be talking about the ones on either side of the back bone, nice.

The chicken neck spaghetti sauce was derived from cooking the necks until the meat left the bones with little help. He described it to me as a delicacy, peasant dish that was not well known. Slow cooking of the sauce essential. Sister came close to cooking his recipes.

I have tried over time. Another is his Muscatouli Italian sausage... Going to eat breakfast now.😊

• Like 4

• Moderators

One year when we grew alot of tomatoes I decided to make sauce. I never did it from whole peeled tomatoes only so I thought just cook it down ? Well what I did not know was if you cook it long enough until most of the juce/water is removed to about the consistency of a good sauce it gets really strong. It was good but very strong in flavor, a little more and i would have made tomato paste. It was good but almost concentrated. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dtel said:

One year when we grew alot of tomatoes I decided to make sauce. I never did it from whole peeled tomatoes only so I thought just cook it down ? Well what I did not know was if you cook it long enough until most of the juce/water is removed to about the consistency of a good sauce it gets really strong. It was good but very strong in flavor, a little more and i would have made tomato paste. It was good but almost concentrated. 

Here's a trick my wife the canning guru uses when working with whole tomatoes.....Wash and core the tomatoes, place in freezer bags and freeze thoroughly.  When ready to use, thaw the bags in the sink, and the tomatoes will give up a lot of liquid, and be easy to peel.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Don't know if was right or not but I put them in boiling water for about 10 seconds then on a tray to cool, the peelings just slid off after that. I cooked about 25 and did what you said with the rest in freezer bags to use later.

There was to much liquid with the fresh ones, freezing first could have helped. That was part of why I cooked the sauce so long which made it strong. I never canned any, just froe gallon bags and added to sauce at different times. Even now when making sauce I start with a gallon of sauce and a gallon of whole tomatoes, I like the pieces and thickness of the whole tomatoes.

I need to remember that

• Like 2