Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

23 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Retired from the military then from the county government.  

i play the guitar and make interesting comments on the klipsch forum.

I SEVERELY edited my post to you, please back up and check it out again...thanks!  I'm also a military retiree, but I retired from the reserve side of the house at age 60...did an ungodly amount of active duty in those 36 years though!  But, on the civilian workforce side of things, I learned many skills in a number of different jobs.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I SEVERELY edited my post to you, please back up and check it out again...thanks!

if we lived in the same area, i’d be hitting you up to teach me some wood-working.  I have an interest and am pretty creative; but, everything gets lost between the brain and fingers. Love guitars and have badly wanted to build one; but, i just know that i haven’t the skill and would frustrate myself.  Since my divorce, i’ve been living in an apartment so I don’t have a workspace per se.  

not sure if i’ll buy another place since i can’t seem to even be able to figure out where i want to live. All my family is back in California; but the last place i bought there cost me half a million and that was in 2004.  Lost that one in the divorce. 

• Sad 1

hey @jimjimbo what's the normal mark-up for a bottle of wine?  I was visiting my cousin and stopped to buy her a bottle of wine at a place called Total Wine & More or something like that ... it was like a liquor warehouse.  I don’t know anything about wine, so i see one that was 2014 called Chateau la tour de bessa and sold for $44.  I figured that it should be okay. She said it tasted  good; but, i googled it and the review suggested a price of $26.  That’s a pretty good markup in my opinion.  is that normal or was that store just a rip off?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

if we lived in the same area, i’d be hitting you up to teach me some wood-working.  I have an interest and am pretty creative; but, everything gets lost between the brain and fingers. Love guitars and have badly wanted to build one; but, i just know that i haven’t the skill and would frustrate myself.  Since my divorce, i’ve been living in an apartment so I don’t have a workspace per se.  

not sure if i’ll buy another place since i can’t seem to even be able to figure out where i want to live. All my family is back in California; but the last place i bought there cost me half a million and that was in 2004.  Lost that one in the divorce. 

There actually ARE workshops that teach you how to build musical instruments like guitars, which culminate in building your own guitar...dulcimer, etc...whatever you have been wanting to build for yourself.  I just googled:  build your own guitar workshop  and lots of different ones in different places all over the country popped up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

blasphemy.  it’s the greatest place on earth ... it’s the disneyland of fast food joints and most of them already know my order. 

Ah yea...was trying to play off the MAGA, America never was great, thing. In other words

image.png.989018d41f2924eccc06ced3adc29506.png

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

blasphemy.  it’s the greatest place on earth ... it’s the disneyland of fast food joints and most of them already know my order. 

So, how does that work with Del Taco?  You walk into one you have never visited and they ask for your phone number and up pops your favorite order??  COOL!!🤣

So, do they wear costumes of Disneyland characters with food industry gloves on their hands?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

So, how does that work with Del Taco?  You walk into one you have never visited and they ask for your phone number and up pops your favorite order??  COOL!!🤣

So, do they wear costumes of Disneyland characters with food industry gloves on their hands?

with all the money that i’ve spent there since 1970, my picture is probably hanging on the wall in all of them. 

7 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

and have a plan for how to use your time.  i quit working at a young age and found it exceptionally boring when all of my friends still had jobs. a lot of time -- nobody to spend it with.

I was expecting to die with my bowling/work shoes on. Wrench in hand... I ended up doing a "death watch" on the place. Talk about depressing. I could do whatever I wanted... so I went home. Lots of work to be done. No parts. Didn't matter. They ran all the business off. Only 15 mins to Tucson from there... And they went. I worked there when the place was new and saw it die. 25years later.

the phone call

"Bill, if you have things you want... you best get them NOW. They are boarding up the place"...  Should have brought some things that weren't mine... like a drill press.  Someone snagged the lane machine. It was a $25,000 item [new].  My air compressor disappeared. not my style paybacks are a ....

enough about that...

I ended up househusbanding. Domestic engineer. I'm good at it. Like it is a different story.  Spent half my life cleaning up other people's mess. Custodian deluxe.  Still trying to retire. Wife keeps finding things for me to do. I have a list of my own.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Love guitars and have badly wanted to build one; but, i just know that i haven’t the skill and would frustrate myself.

Always wanted to do that too. I also don't have a workshop... Actually would love to build a reproduction of a Gibson ES140. I used to own one, paid $100 for it in original brown case with the pink lining. The body is about the size of an LP, but hollow with about a three to four inch depth. Very cool guitar. Mine was a sunburst like the one in the pic (not mine). The other is one next to an LP, so you can see the size (except it is a thin body).

Bruce

LP_ES-140T.jpg

s-l500.jpg

• Like 4

Steve - you asked about the humidity. It hasn't bothered me and my skin likes the moisture. The drier climates are starting to do me in. While in the Philippines at Christmas, we were with family in Palawan. It was about 75 at night and 85 during the day with a nice breeze off the ocean. Yes, got a little warm in the sun, but it was nice. Manila would suck... hot, crowded, too many people and dirty air.

Culion_Palawan.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1