Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

13 minutes ago, Islander said:

Lance Armstrong's defence against sore throat or minor cold, possibly due to overtraining, was to gargle Listerine, then take a good two-hour nap.  I find that is a definite help for me.  I usually find that a nap is good, anyway.

* he always seemed to be defending himself against something -? Having a cold turned out to be the least of his worries —

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I embrace taking a nap.

kinda half keeping an eye on the phone, won't hear it.  Unless it interrupts a quiet passage.

I'm running the vacuum, too. Trying to catch up with domestics.  House has been upside down for 2 weeks. Wife was home the week previous to her trip to IL. And she was home for "Founders/Colombus" Day of whatever it's called now.... Worked Tue and Weds.

Indigenous Peoples Day. So says my iPhones Calendar. And as we know Mother Apple knows best!

Wb

1 minute ago, richieb said:

* he always seemed to be defending himself against something -? Having a cold turned out to be the least of his worries —

I believe he made good money both riding and dismounted. Whether he is right that everyone cheats to win, that I know to be untrue.

Wb

17 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Most of the time he is misunderstood or misinterpreted.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/what-doesnt-kill-you-makes-you-stronger/

Thanks for the clarification, oldtimer.  Anyway, as JohnJ commented, it may be true for some emotional near-killer experiences, but in the area of bodily health, it's almost always wrong.  Most serious injuries, especially the ones that nearly kill you, almost always change your life in a negative way, not a positive one.

This is  bit of a pet peeve for me, since it's kind of personal.  A bit over twenty years ago, I was seriously injured and spent six months in hospital.  I recovered to some degree, but my life was certainly changed, and I definitely didn't feel stronger.  I'd be very happy to get back to the strength I had before the injuries, but there's no chance of that.

While I'm on the subject of pet peeves, another one is people who say someone is lucky, after they survive some kind of terrible incident.  For instance, someone could lose a leg in a building collapse, or a serious highway crash.  There will almost certainly be someone who thinks they're being helpful by commenting how lucky the victim is, because he could have been killed.  Believe me, someone who's lying there in intensive care with life-changing injuries does not feel lucky in any way.

Okay, end of rant.  Please try to avoid both of those very unhelpful comments.  Just be kind and caring.  That will help your unlucky friend much more than some witless comment.

Sorry to turn the discussion in a dark direction.  Weren't we talking about food, fun, and beer?  Le's get back on topic!

• Like 2

Good points westie.  One of my pet peeves is people who misquote, misconstrue, or misinterpret philosophers based on little more than sophomoric bathroom wall scribblings...

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying some Guatemalan coffee and football, ManU v Liverpool---a rare occasion of hoping for a United win, or rather a Liverpool loss.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

One of my pet peeves is people who misquote, misconstrue, or misinterpret philosophers based on little more than sophomoric bathroom wall scribblings...

your bathrooms had walls?  Luxury!  There were 27 of us living in a shoe box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

your bathrooms had walls?  Luxury!  There were 27 of us living in a shoe box.

Then there were the seven little brothers who were so poor that they all had to sleep in the same bed, some at one end, some at the other.  Making things worse, three of them were bedwetters.  

One night, two of the "dry" brothers were talking, and one asked the other, 'Which end are you sleeping in tonight?"

He replied, "The shallow end!"

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Islander said:

Thanks for the clarification, oldtimer.  Anyway, as JohnJ commented, it may be true for some emotional near-killer experiences, but in the area of bodily health, it's almost always wrong.  Most serious injuries, especially the ones that nearly kill you, almost always change your life in a negative way, not a positive one.

This is  bit of a pet peeve for me, since it's kind of personal.  A bit over twenty years ago, I was seriously injured and spent six months in hospital.  I recovered to some degree, but my life was certainly changed, and I definitely didn't feel stronger.  I'd be very happy to get back to the strength I had before the injuries, but there's no chance of that.

While I'm on the subject of pet peeves, another one is people who say someone is lucky, after they survive some kind of terrible incident.  For instance, someone could lose a leg in a building collapse, or a serious highway crash.  There will almost certainly be someone who thinks they're being helpful by commenting how lucky the victim is, because he could have been killed.  Believe me, someone who's lying there in intensive care with life-changing injuries does not feel lucky in any way.

Okay, end of rant.  Please try to avoid both of those very unhelpful comments.  Just be kind and caring.  That will help your unlucky friend much more than some witless comment.

Sorry to turn the discussion in a dark direction.  Weren't we talking about food, fun, and beer?  Le's get back on topic!

And then the old - "In serious condition with non life threatening injuries".  Been and am there. Ouch!

Thumbs up to the 'food, fun and beer'- getting old, didn't we forget something? Oh, under 'Fun'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

It's the natural vitamin C.

And it beats the heck out of getting your ascorbic acid Cartier Style. He boiled pine needles to cure his crews scurvy. The French had the Iroquois to thank for that.

I raked up enough pine needles today to keep the Old Red Army free of C deficiency for a thousand years.

Wb

• Haha 2

I find it curious/interesting that citrus fruits come in season at the height of cold/flu season.

Darn near cold this AM. Low 40's/high 30's.

Overdid it yesterday. Not moving very well this AM. Have things I would like to do.

May need to realign my agenda.  Turning myself to medicated goo sounds like a plan.

• Haha 1