Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Got into a discussion with a friend over our position in the food chain.

He maintains that we are top predator. My opinion is that we are more scavenger than hunter.  Take all the thing out of our hands and we are defenseless.

I take that back. A bite from a human is very dangerous. Untreated,you are liable to get quite dead

Our mouths aren't much more sanitary than a KomodoDragon's. serious

I subsisted on protein from the local lakes for a summer. Not like HI, where you can eat your bait, if you strike out. Don't feel too TopPredator when you get smoked by a critter whose brain is half the size of a pea ... bluegill

• Like 3

wife had to come into the doghouse. I couldn't hear her knocking [I want to replace these R15Ms, not because they don't make enough loud]. Think she tried to hold her breath the whole time she was in here...the ceiling is "a little low", shall we say.   lol

• Haha 2

On 11/1/2019 at 5:56 PM, BigStewMan said:

RIP Gary Richrath -- that dude could play the guitar, albeit a Les Paul.

When I knew Gary has was always nice. It's too bad he and Kevin Cronin didn't get along. This pic is The Alliance, a band Gary was in before he moved from Peoria to Champaign-Urbana to hook up with REO. Gary is 3rd from the left. On the far right is Barry Brenner, who also played electric guitar. He now plays blues guitar, often on a National Steel guitar, under the name Bary Big B Brenner. I can't remember the other two on the left, but I believe my older son has shared emails with the bass player.

The Alliance.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing that Bruce. Gary was a talent for sure and a great songwriter. I’m sorry that he had to battle what he did. I wish he and Kevin could have worked things out. The band sure suffered after he left. 

You still playing?  I’m about to pull the trigger on that Godin A12. i need to do it because several Telecasters have been catching my eye lately.  1976 Telecaster Thinline semi-hollowbody was my first guitar and i stupidly got rid of it. I’ve long wanted it back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Always wanted a tele... and yes, trying to play more... more for my own amusement. Other than occasional lap steel, it's either my '91 Taylor 812c or my '74 Guild jf30r.

BandC-party.jpg

as I’ve told you before, I’m a huge Taylor fan. I have a Taylor 324ce that is gorgeous -- tasmanian blackwood. I hear you on the personal amusement.  Got a good friend that has been playing the bass for about 40 years and is incredible. He loves to perform and is one of those guys that gigs as much as he can. He is constantly telling me to join a band and that is the furthest thing from my mind.  Guitar is therapy for me. To sit and create something soothes me -- hard to describe, but i can’t imagine applause from an audience being better. In a previous life, I had a job that was mostly writing. The big guy would be in front of an audience and they’d be listening to him speak and i’d be in the back of the room thinking “they’re listening to him; but he’s speaking MY words.” And that was all the fulfillment that i ever needed. There is really only three guitars left on my guitar bucket list ... I want to replace my Tele, I want a Rickenbacker, and I want a Duesenberg (not super common but i love them). First one i saw was the one that Nancy Wilson (Heart) plays. I’ve talked to her guitar tech and it’s actually his guitar (unless she’s got her own by now) but, i want to say that  the guitar was gifted to him by Elvis Costello.  They’re a bit pricey; but that’s what the bucket list is for.   Nobody else in the family plays guitar, so when i’m gone, I have no idea what my kids will do with all these guitars; but then i suppose I won’t be worrying about that. Nice photo of you and your bride. 

• Like 2

the arts are therapeutic.  I "play", too. I seriously doubt my neighbors would consider it music and would much rather hear the stereo.

playing is more for the performer than the audience .... or should be. Otherwise it has turned into that dreaded 4 letter word --- work

We're getting our "Indian summer"... 85`. ya won't be hearing any complaints from me. It's even kinda warm this AM. 50ish. No fire, even if a had cut wood. Being lazy, I do enjoy the fire  simply because I don't have to go to the kitchen for a coffee refill.

Still working on Peruvian beans. Not quite as upifting as their white counterpart, but pretty darn good.

• Like 1

We just finished watching the PBS Ken Burns Country Music documentary and enjoyed it immensely, way more than expected.  The wife (who was reluctant at first) described the episodes as “compelling.”

It was a reminder of the all too often link between artistic genius and excesses regarding alcohol, drugs, sex, etc. The world would be a poorer place without the suffering of artists from van Gogh to Van Halen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

these electronic keyboards can be fun.  

My toy is a RadioShack model. I particularly enjoy the percussion "tones".  If all you can do is tap your fingers, you're in business. Get a rhythm groove going. Then switch to a more note oriented instrument.

there are folks that believe drumming itself is healing. A sort of meditation, I guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

We just finished watching the PBS Ken Burns Country Music documentary and enjoyed it immensely, way more than expected.  The wife (who was reluctant at first) described the episodes as “compelling.”

It was a reminder of the all too often link between artistic genius and excesses regarding alcohol, drugs, sex, etc. The world would be a poorer place without the suffering of artists from van Gogh to Van Halen.

Van Morrison, Van Gelder, Van Helsing, Van Wilder....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

all too often link between artistic genius and excesses regarding alcohol, drugs, sex, etc.

creative geniuses seem to be out of sync and struggle to cope with us....

I worked around a few artists at the lithography shop.  They are nuts.

I'll save you the trouble

... and that is coming from a guy that wears a sarong. Some of these folks are WAY out there.

• Haha 2