Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

who do you think i am the next food network star?  I bought some eggs in those milk cartoons and poured it in a skillet that was on high.  I read the label and it said serving size was 10 -- although I can’t see how that would feed 10.  I threw some ham in the skillet at the same time.  some of the eggs looked cooked but there was still a lot of liquid in the pan so some eggs turned brown. I was craving a breakfast burrito, so i also bought these hash brown patties and tried to cook them ... until the smoke alarm went off.

I couldn’t even wrap the thing properly -- large tortilla was too full of eggs, ham, hash browns and cheese that i couldn't get a tight seal on my wrap.  tried to pick it up and it came apart. oh yeah, and my non-stick miracle pan that you can burn things in and just wipe it off and nothing will stick ... it stuck to the pan. Lying commercials! And we won’t even talk about the mess!

I’ve just accepted that i’m probably not a very good cook. 

} I had no idea your cooking skills are “limited” to that degree - 👨🏻‍🍳 With that in mind step away, far away, from the stove. And might I suggest Denny’s or IHOP for your next scramble — 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, richieb said:

} Scrambled eggs for one - 3 eggs, 1/3 to 1/2 cup cream or whole milk, dash salt/pepper, a bit of parsley for color - use a large mixing bowl and a whisk (don’t use the typical cereal bowl and fork). Whisk very well to a light foam develops, the air in the scramble will make you an airy egg mixture. Heat one pat of butter in non-stick pan, medium heat at most, turn down as pan heats, use non-stick spatula.

Don't overcook or over heat so eggs do not get brown - enjoy. If you need to add ketchup - start over - 

Add a 1/4-1/2 tsp of baking powder while whisking. Oh so fluffy.

Hot sauce or Salsa later. If you need ketchup - go to McDonalds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richieb said:

} Scrambled eggs for one - 3 eggs, 1/3 to 1/2 cup cream or whole milk, dash salt/pepper, a bit of parsley for color - use a large mixing bowl and a whisk (don’t use the typical cereal bowl and fork). Whisk very well to a light foam develops, the air in the scramble will make you an airy egg mixture. Heat one pat of butter in non-stick pan, medium heat at most, turn down as pan heats, use non-stick spatula.

Don't overcook or over heat so eggs do not get brown - enjoy. If you need to add ketchup - start over - 

No self respecting chef would ever put milk in scrambled eggs.  Tablespoon of water per 3 eggs, then very low heat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Milk makes them tough, from what I hear. Mine get cooked straight up. S&P, in butter. Low heat.

I use cast iron.  And metal utensils.  

That non-stick is a bunch of hoooey. And the plastics spatulas. Those are worthless. If the pan is actually non-stick, you end up chasing the object around, trying to shove a 1/4inch thick spatula under it.

Someone told me that the non-stick cookware needs to be seasoned??? Never had any.  My cast is heirloom.  Some from great-grands.

4 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Glass??? That's a league above us.   

You getting that white stuff?  Seems early.

but

I remember trick or treating in the slush. Thanksgiving was generally snowy. We movd here in '70

Yep, we got about 3 inches today, more tonight and tomorrow.  Gonna get really cold and icy.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

I will send you some ....in a box

You can send him my portion. Cold is beyond my ability to cope with.  Our house is fresh during the winter. The fireplace is quite popular.

funny as

the cats stare at it when they get cold. Come to think... they stare at it when it is lit, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

No self respecting chef would ever put milk in scrambled eggs.  Tablespoon of water per 3 eggs, then very low heat.

& I'm not:rolleyes:

Seriously always had them with some milk added until.... chef at a restaurant I worked at told me how the omelets he made were so good. The same thing you said. It was water and a pinch of baking soda.

Honest to God I tried it and have never quit doing it that way. Cast iron does work better than even the stainless I've used especially when you put in in the oven to cook the top of the omelet. Forcing eggs the last couple of months and don't add anything anymore except cook them after the meat, drain the extra grease in the jar under the sink prior to the eggs going in.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, richieb said:

} I had no idea your cooking skills are “limited” to that degree - 👨🏻‍🍳 With that in mind step away, far away, from the stove. And might I suggest Denny’s or IHOP for your next scramble — 

Dont discourage him.  His stories are too funny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

you really know how to compliment a woman about her cooking don’t you?  Lucky she didn’t throw the pan at you!

i attempted to make scrambled eggs last night for dinner. It was a world-class disaster. I have no idea how i can screw up scrambled eggs.  whatever it was that came out of the pan, i too, tossed it into a tortilla and poured ketchup and hot sauce all over it. 

wonder if that’s why i woke up feeling like i’m just coming out of anesthesia. 

I bought the wife a Lodge Frying Pan and Hibachi BBQ. Made in the USA and the wife can't throw either without hitting her own foot first. She has a baker's rolling-pin but I can move pretty quickly still.

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

When in doubt; follow August Escoffier or Julia Childs recipes. Like falling off a log, unless you go to great lengths to burn everything you cook.

Just now, BigStewMan said:

i can’t go to IHOP -- I don’t speak a foreign language. 

Point at something on the menu. They have pictures in the IHOP I was last at. Also, while pointing; rub your stomach. The server will figure it out.

Failing that, if desperation sets in,  I'd go for a military meal... ready to eat. Pretty difficult to screw that up.

Wb

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Point at something on the menu. They have pictures in the IHOP I was last at. Also, while pointing; rub your stomach. The server will figure it out.

i used to get the best burritos at this joint where all the employees spoke Spanish.  I was able to order and was given a number (i was ordering to go).  I was hoping for a number 1 -10 because i know those in Spanish; but i ended up something 147.  So, the very next number that they called, i walked up and gave the lady my ticket. She looks at it and laughs, shaking her head “no.”  My ex thought i was stupid; but i told her that when our order was ready they’d tell us instead of calling a number. Sure enough, when my order was ready, she just pointed at me. That worked every time.  Used to get the best Birria there. 

• Like 3

that's too funny, Steve

normality has returned

Wife is gone to work. Kid is off to school and boy has gone to work.

Was telling boy that he should have worn his fatigues to work yesterday.  He suggested his ClassA. 

He still pulled a 10hr day.  

Have half a mind to crank up some music. 7AM is a bit early to rattle the neighbors, though. 8 - 9AM is OK. I let the AirForce break the quiet before I start making noise. They usually start around then.

Weather has "cooled down" to average temp.  We get a bonus... 25mph breeze.  Still needing to gather some fuelwood.  Fired up the saw a couple days ago. The fuel is getting a wee off smelling. Saw lit up in spite of it. Not that we need a fire right now. There will be a few weeks of wet cold, I want to be ahead of that.  Cold and rain make for a spirited cutting session.  Lots of incentive.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

I bought the wife a Lodge Frying Pan and Hibachi BBQ. Made in the USA and the wife can't throw either without hitting her own foot first. She has a baker's rolling-pin but I can move pretty quickly still.

mine used to have a non-stick aluminum wok. I found a cast iron one for her.  It takes two hands to lift.

these worth anything.? Sez they are CW cabs refitted with different drivers?

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/d/scottsdale-klipsch-cornwall-copies/7018040361.html

48 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

mine used to have a non-stick aluminum wok. I found a cast iron one for her.  It takes two hands to lift.

these worth anything.? Sez they are CW cabs refitted with different drivers?

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/d/scottsdale-klipsch-cornwall-copies/7018040361.html

Heavy cast iron frying pan $29.99.

Baker's rolling Pin $25.99.

Tillamook Yogurt $0.92

The look on the little woman's face if you brought these 'Cornwall copies modified with other components' home - Priceless!

I'd say they look like you'll have to commence a running if you were to haul them home. Bobbing and weaving so she can't get in a good shot with both that frying pan and her adrenaline up!

Wb

• Like 1
  • Haha 1