Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

okie dokey

that'll cure ya ... or kill ya

a subtle thrill seeker. Some folks need near death experience to appreciate life?

I remember some German guests at a campground where I worked a long time ago.... We were sitting around the pool [unheated] in coats, it was winter.... These folks wandered up and jumped it. Water temp was 50` or so.

"oh, isn't this is lovely"

In HI, we didn't swim in the winter. The water was too cold... 70`

Had a hankering for home fries and eggs for breakfast. The potatoes were almost perfect. Golden, some crisp/crunchy.  Forgot how long it takes to do them proper.

I about died of hunger waiting.  I was hungry NOW!

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Shiva said:

Well, time for something a bit more feminine.  Anyone for an ice bath.

Looks great but I would not want to deal with that level of crazy.

Something wrong there, you would think the cold would have visible effects. 

• Haha 3

So, i met with a surgeon at the hospital today to discuss whether i should get surgery on my ears. After watching the tv screen and watching her peel layers of skin out of my ear canal and off the eardrum (it only hurt once), we decided against surgery ... well, i decided that and she agreed. She said even with a “perfect” surgery, there is no way that i can get my hearing back to normal, so I had to weigh the risks of surgery against the limited benefits. 

I have both mechanical hearing loss and loss from nerve damage. She did order a CT scan to see if there is Otosceloris on the Cochlea.  But even if that is confirmed, it won’t change anything we decided today. i’m stuck with hearing aids for the rest of my life and when the hearing gets to the point that the hearing aids aren’t cutting it, then we can revisit the surgery. 

i do find it amusing that the doctors take out my hearing aids and then talk to me. I just give them a blank stare and then say, “i can’t hear a thing.” It’s funny because they get this look on their face like “ok, that was dumb of me."

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I love my annual eye checkup.  Dialate my eyes, play the this-way or that-way, first way or second way test for 15 minutes then take me out and want me to pick out new frames.  Seriously?  I can't even SEE the frames.  I'll be back later!  Then I can read the small tag with the price on them and go back home.  Such a scam.  They jacked me around over 1/4 diopter for years just to get me to buy new lenses.    Amazed at that when I picked up my file and looked at it while I was waiting.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I get an exam when my old glasses are too scratched to see from. I buy 2 pairs at a time. It is several, 5 or 6 or 10, years between exams. 

being nearsighted, I should have bifocals... I do it the old fashioned way... Look under my glasses or if really needed, take them off to do close work.

Wife called a rain day, today.  Water is ponding. Won't take much to make a flow. Raining now. If the washes aren't running, they will. Glad I have a nice little stack of wood. Makes me feel "secure", like having a full pantry.

these rains will do some good. A soaking.   Things are/were quite dry. The lack of summer rain left a lot of normally wet places dry/

idiot light on the coffee machine came on. Time to flush it.

• Like 4

Yesterday we had a second meeting with a contractor about adding room onto the media/music room.  The room is 14'x13.5' now with thoughts of making it 24'x13.5'.  I had been figuring no more than $250 per square foot for the additional 135 sq.ft. 

He on the other hand said a ball park figure was $50,000!  Brick or stone is expensive he says.

Damn that's $375/sq.ft.  May have to get another price........

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Yesterday we had a second meeting with a contractor about adding room onto the media/music room.  The room is 14'x13.5' now with thoughts of making it 24'x13.5'.  I had been figuring no more than $250 per square foot for the additional 135 sq.ft. 

He on the other hand said a ball park figure was $50,000!  Brick or stone is expensive he says.

https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/additions-and-remodels/build-an-addition/

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

7 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

https://homeguide.com/costs/home-addition-cost

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

thoughts of making it 24'x13.5'

that's about the size of our living room.... 12 X 25

Only prob with my space, I have to put everything on the long wall.

Speakers are ~12' apart, pretty well centered, toed in a lot. 60` or so. Lines cross a foot in front of MLP  Otherwise, you have a LaScala right in your face. I'd love to set up on the short wall. Doorways don't allow.

I have to question my wife's sensibility [that foregone conclusion. she married me].  She put a bunch of oldT shirts on the clothesline to get "washed" in the rain. So far, so good.

Except [knew that was coming], they were all on hangers and the wind was blowing 30MPH. I picked them off the ground twice. The second time to bring them inside. Wife was "But,  but, but"

asked her if she was wanting to make "mud duds".

if the wind had been a little stronger, they would have made it to the JujubeTrees and I would not needed to pick 'em up.

• Haha 3

@TarheelDamn that's $375/sq.ft.  May have to get another price........   Shop!  He either doesn't want to lay it up or can't and is gonna sub it out and make some easy cash.  Find the brick dudes and tell them what you want to do.  Get a quote from them.  Let him frame it then they come in and do the job.  Don't tell them who the contractor is either or they might both work it against you.  Perhaps ask them who they're comfy working with and good then get another quote.  Go into stupid mode with them ALL.  Or even ask if they know someone who's good and does it as a side job.  Lots of good experienced people out there wanting to make money it's just finding them.  Ask at the lumber yard or a good old boy who looks like he knows what he's doing @ Lowe's .  Or take a drive and nose then stop and ask them on site.  Pretend you're buying a new amp!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Tarheel said:

And I was thinking $250/sq.ft was really high.

2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

He either doesn't want to lay it up or can't and is gonna sub it out and make some easy cash. 

Years ago when we quoted prices for jobs if it was someone we did not want to work for we would give a crazy price. Thinking they would not accept that price, well many did, and for that price we were glad to do it.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3