Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

25 minutes ago, babadono said:

Every time I get estimates like that I explain to the contractor that maybe his kid should start looking at a State school instead of Harvard:)

I'm a contractor and with many of the trades, I have a hard time finding sub contractors that will give me reasonable bids.  I received a plumbing bid last week to do the final plumbing drops on a mod that is on a basement.  Keep in mind that we're only talking about hooking up the drain lines that are stubbed through the sub floor to the point of exit so strictly cutting, cleaning and gluing up plastic...........................over $7,000 for what amounts to 1.5 days of easy work with 1 laborer and $700 max worth of materials.  I told him that he either holds a Dr.'s degree in plumbing or is completely inept and is figuring that it will take him a month to complete.  There's not enough skilled tradespeople out there and the problem is only getting worse.   

Hope our planned addition doesn't cost that. Things are cheaper here, but....

Still sputtering rain. Seeing some looking suspiciously like melted snow. Been a good rain. We got 2" over Wed/Thurs.  Was very quiet in town until after 10AM. Road closed.  It was nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

I'm a contractor and with many of the trades, I have a hard time finding sub contractors that will give me reasonable bids.  I received a plumbing bid last week to do the final plumbing drops on a mod that is on a basement.  Keep in mind that we're only talking about hooking up the drain lines that are stubbed through the sub floor to the point of exit so strictly cutting, cleaning and gluing up plastic...........................over $7,000 for what amounts to 1.5 days of easy work with 1 laborer and $700 max worth of materials.  I told him that he either holds a Dr.'s degree in plumbing or is completely inept and is figuring that it will take him a month to complete.  There's not enough skilled tradespeople out there and the problem is only getting worse.   

Sounds like a $2000 job with materials..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Sounds like a $2000 job with materials..

It is.  I have people on my staff and other contractors that are more than qualified to do all of this work in the counties that don't require a specif state license, but my normal "licensed plumber" moved to Texas so now I'm searching for the new guy that has a license and is reasonable.  We're just at a point with most plumbers and HVAC contractors that they feel like $400-$600 a day is peanuts, and that's after considering overhead, insurance and labor.  I keep telling these kids, and my son in law, get into the trades, take some general business and accounting courses, be professional and you can easily earn $100K plus per year and cherry pick your jobs.  You do actually have to want to work also, and there is 90% of the problem. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i had both of my hands blown off in a kiln explosion.  i wish i was needed. 

Teach yourself to use your feet. I went to school with a girl who had no arms. She could use her feet to take notes in class better than the rest of us. Especially me. 😉

Wb

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Smart man.

That's debatable.  We used him on occasion because he had a license (maybe they use to come in cracker jacks), not because he was smart.  Got to the point where my site coordinator would have to hold his hand so he didn't run plumbing across windows/doors as well as other dumb mistakes.  

17 minutes ago, Pete H said:

That's debatable.  We used him on occasion because he had a license (maybe they use to come in cracker jacks), not because he was smart.  Got to the point where my site coordinator would have to hold his hand so he didn't run plumbing across windows/doors as well as other dumb mistakes.  

I saw a licensed electrician do something similar to that...

• Moderators

Finding work as a contractor is easy, just do what you agree to and do it right. You will get more business than you can handle, people are willing to pay a fair price when they know you will do what you say.

We never had a problem finding work, no advertising just business cards and a full page of people to go talk to with addresses, knock on the door and ask them if they are happy with the work. We were working 7 days a week and had to cut it back to 5, we were killing ourselves.

Some say oh the economy is slow, BS, people have the money for what they want, check out restaurant parking lots and shopping centers, there usually full.

• Like 4

Mornin' All.

It is still AM?

Had a rough day yesterday. Productive, but, frustrating Cleaned the oven. Oh, so much fun.  And laundry. Solar drier not working as well as normal. Temp made it to 60` at best. Could only squeeze off 3 loads.  Opposite summer run. In the summer, the slowdown is how fast the machine processes the wash. Stuff dries faster than the machine can run more.

We have a cord of wood coming tomorrow/Monday.  That will keep us for the season.

Need to pull the bird from the freezer soon. We aren't expecting a bunch.A friend and his wife and a SIL. She won't be for the sit down. No sense of time.  Boy is working. It is a dude ranch and the have a full boat. Working service, holidays are not so much fun. The bowling alley wasn't bad. We had to be open so the folks could come and wish us a happy... We didn't do squat for business.. Just visit all day. Restaurant, that a whole different story. It turns into a production line. You are allowed X amt of time at the table. Adios and NEXT!

Wife [me] needs to make a pumpkin pie for the school on Wed. I'll make 2... and I bet most of "our" pie will be gone before T-Day. I likes  da pumpkin pie. There were sugar pie pumpkins at the grocery. I balked at $4ea. Would have taken at least one per pie. Should have bit the bullet to show wife the diff between Jack-O-Lantern and pie pumpkin.

reflecting on Old Folks' Boogie

• Like 4

@WillyBob

Gives us jus' one more chance
To spin one more yarn
And you know that you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill!!

Don't bake too much so I do a "trial run" before this time of year.

Pumpkin pie makes for a great brunch although I did have to make a little more coffee. The cheese balls got a little dark in the dark pan, messed up and got the HOT sausage.....

funny it doesn't taste much hotter than the regular... must be getting immune to the red pepper as I'm gettin older.

IMG-20191123-130429.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1