Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

54 minutes ago, dtel said:

I don't want to talk with anyone anyway

when i finally got hearing aids i was talking to my boss and he asked why i hadn’t gotten hearing aids sooner. I told him that i had never met anyone that i cared what they had to say. He looked puzzled because we’d known each other for awhile already.

• Haha 6

Hope my CC&C buds have a wonderful Thanksgiving! 

Mine is getting off to a shaky start as LF's MIL (82) had a seizure this afternoon and is now hospitalized.  She was going to be our third for a late lunch (standing rib roast).   She has had brain tumors and surgery twice before and bounced back nicely.  LF just left for the hospital.  Hopefully she will be released tonight.

So I'm polishing off the last of the Elijah Craig Small Batch and chatting with the Jakester.

Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Hope my CC&C buds have a wonderful Thanksgiving! 

Mine is getting off to a shaky start as LF's MIL (82) had a seizure this afternoon and is now hospitalized.  She was going to be our third for a late lunch (standing rib roast).   She has had brain tumors and surgery twice before and bounced back nicely.  LF just left for the hospital.  Hopefully she will be released tonight.

So I'm polishing off the last of the Elijah Craig Small Batch and chatting with the Jakester.

Cheers!

Hope the MIL recovers fully.  Also hope you have a great Thanksgiving. Tip one for me ... it’s still a bit early here on the West Coast. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What I dislike about cell phones the most is that folks think you should answer the damn thing any time/anywhere.

I have to tell folks I only have a land line... no text.

We may be in a similar boat with @Tarheel.. My buddy had to take his wife to the hospital last night. She's home. Whether they make dinner tomorrow???? Told/warned her, she WILL see me with food even if she can't make "the show".

Got my pies made. Need to cube the bread for the stuffing. Then I'm done for the day. Dinner is chicken thighs simmered in green enchilada sauce.

4 minutes ago, babadono said:

I knew I liked you for a reason

I never hear that. It usually "What an odd fellow"

• Like 3

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, babadono said:

Duly noted "don't call Dtel"

True,  I would bet no one has ever heard me on the phone. :huh:

I do it max 9 times a year, talking to the kids if they are not here, fathers day and birthdays.

Tarheel hope your MIL is OK, 82 is pretty good most never make it that long.

Not that it will happen but I would be hard to deal with at 82, I would think my patience and BS acceptance level will be much lower. :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, WillyBob said:
9 minutes ago, babadono said:

I knew I liked you for a reason

I never hear that. It usually "What an odd fellow"

Even if your odd we can still like you, look around it's not like your the only one in the odd group, we are looking for a president to lead us oddballs. Got any recommendations, or want to volunteer ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dtel said:

Even if your odd we can still like you, look around it's not like your the only one in the odd group, we are looking for a president to lead us oddballs. Got any recommendations, or want to volunteer ? 

I won't volunteer. But, if the responsibility is thrust upon me ...

... a gasp from the crowd. One thing he don't need is encouragement.

I'm still laughing about "the guy that invented pot" comment

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

@BigStewMan

You should have seen the kitchen by the time I made 2 pumpkin pies.  After I finally got the crusts rolled out, it looked like someone threw a 5lb bag of flour into the ceiling fan.

} In case we cross paths at a picnic or gathering where you have prepared the food, do you cook in a sarong? Tightly secured with a robe like belt? Or “free and easy” — 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hope things turn for the better with your MIL Tarheel.  Sure throws the damper on an otherwise routine holiday for you all.  Sorry to hear.   

Hope everyone enjoys their dinner tomorrow with family and friends.  Throwing it all down here Sunday with the oldest daughter and her family.  It'll sort it always does!  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

when i finally got hearing aids i was talking to my boss and he asked why i hadn’t gotten hearing aids sooner. I told him that i had never met anyone that i cared what they had to say. He looked puzzled because we’d known each other for awhile already.

Years ago I worked with an ‘old guy’ that had two hearing aids. Old technology compared to what you can get today. He had to adjust the volume on them if he could not hear what you said. One day to bug him we decided that every time we spoke to him we would Just mouth the words, making no sound. Had him adjusting the volume on his hearing aids all day. He could not read lips. Finally we figured he’d turned them up to max volume and we commenced speaking to him really loudly and he’d practically jump in the air. He spent the whole day turning the damn things up, then down, then up in response to our foolishness.

I don’t think he found this to be funny. We did.

Wb

• Haha 5

• Moderators
7 hours ago, WillyBob said:

@BigStewMan

You should have seen the kitchen by the time I made 2 pumpkin pies.  After I finally got the crusts rolled out, it looked like someone threw a 5lb bag of flour into the ceiling fan.

Since I do all the cooking except holidays I keep up with the kitchen so I try to mostly clean as I go leaving as little as I can for later. Not that I don't make a mess at times, I like to cook but don't enjoy the cleaning part and hate looking at a mess. 

3 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Throwing it all down here Sunday with the oldest daughter and her family. 

We use to do Thanksgiving and Christmas here, a couple of years ago my 2 sisters who live about 2 miles from here wanted to start doing Thanksgiving. It is nice to not have to do both since it is alot of work, this year we are bringing a couple things from the list, this years it's baked macaroni and cheese and artichoke dressing, 2 pans of each. There is always probably a dozen different things cooked and average about 15-20 people.

I hope all of you have a good day tomorrow, and try not to pop.

• Like 4

I had everything cleaned up by the time wife got home. She would have never known.  ... except the kitchen was cleaner than before I started. Had to clean  [wash dishes]  before I made mess.  Funny how a clean kitchen gives me the urge to cook. Has to be clean so I know it is all my mess.

Our dinner is in flux. Might just be the two of us. I'm OK with that. Didn't plan on a crowd.  That it began to start sounding like a bunch would show was OK, but  for the need of more side dishes. I would be happy with a quiet day. Sometimes, less is more

Y'all have a great holiday!!!!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, richieb said:

} In case we cross paths at a picnic or gathering where you have prepared the food, do you cook in a sarong? Tightly secured with a robe like belt? Or “free and easy” — 

Yes, I do wear a sarong when cooking. The way I wrap/roll it, prolly more secure than a pair of pants.

OH my!!

Talking of a Christmas tree shortage [here] this year.  Blaming it [partially] on tree farmers switching to annual trees ... marijuana.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Hope things turn for the better with your MIL Tarheel.  Sure throws the damper on an otherwise routine holiday for you all.  Sorry to hear.   

Hope everyone enjoys their dinner tomorrow with family and friends.  Throwing it all down here Sunday with the oldest daughter and her family.  It'll sort it always does!  

Thanks Dave.  Actually it's my LF's MIL.  She is a widow and I a widower.  MIL treats my LF like the daughter she never had. 

She was released from the hospital so plans are back on go.  At her age she sent a text this morning that she is ready when we are.

So the standing rib roast will go in the oven around 11am to serve at 1pm.  One day soon got to get back on a diet.......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1