Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Menudo is traditional fare here.

I'm OK with it ... as long as it's prepared properly. Otherwise, it tastes like what it is.

Chuck, you will appreciate this. Recalling your wrestling match with the tone arm..

I exercised my mechanical prowess on a lockset.  It was sticking and had a wallowed screw hole in the door. Replacing that loose screw was what kicked this off. It would back out and stop the door from latching. OK... Replace the screw and things stop operating ... binding. Whip out the can of Tri-Flow [WD40 w/teflon], spray the striker. Helps that, but the knob is binding. Go to loosen the handle and it has one phillips and one straight screw holding it in      ....... this was a sign I ignored and should have stopped right there....

but I didn't and took the screws out. Pulled it apart. A short screw and a shorter screw. Lubed it. Operating nice and smooth. Do ya think I could get the second screw to line up? Bet it took me a half hour to get the blasted thing back on the door. It does work nice now. So, it wasn't totally wasted effort. I run into a lot of that type of thing here. Everything was cobbed together from the git. Reclaimed materials. The backside of the house is clad in aluminum lithography plates.  The redwood is from an old railroad station. The windows came from that, too. The glass has wrinkles/waves

This English/English spellcheck doesn't like the American spelling of aluminium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I understand grasshopper.  My father wasn't very handy and he passed that gene on to me.  I was forced to learn a little while renovating a 1894 Queen Anne in our historic district but it was learn as you go.  Spent 10 years working on that monster part time and week ends.  It was a thing of beauty though with 12' ceilings, 9 fire places and all natural wood work.  I stole it in 1975 before the crowds returned to the down town area.

• Like 3

On 12/31/2019 at 7:02 PM, grasshopper said:

I've heard of a lot of interesting objects being "dropped" on New Year's

I used to drop acid, but that was half a century ago... I think... maybe it wasn't... no, it really was...

• Haha 3

Just now, Marvel said:

I used to drop acid, but that was half a century ago... I think... maybe it wasn't... no, it really was...

There was a report on 60 minutes just a couple weeks ago where in the USA doctors are using a one time treatment of LSD in a highly controlled environment to help people stop cigarette smoking. And some people with terminal illnesses, helps with their overall mental health.

One good trip and they quit smoking. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Just one?  I'd be a repeat offender!  The highly controlled environment would suck though!  Need some of that 60's San Fran "reggae" cranked in just for giggles n Schiits!   Now I'm having thoughts of Grace and Janis once again.  Stevie never really did much for me.  hahahaha  Yea, time to power up and crank 'em.  Ya just solved my problem on what to play!  This place is evil  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, polizzio said:

There was a report on 60 minutes just a couple weeks ago where in the USA doctors are using a one time treatment of LSD in a highly controlled environment to help people stop cigarette smoking. And some people with terminal illnesses, helps with their overall mental health.

On 12/14/2019 at 10:04 PM, dirtmudd said:
"Magic mushrooms" contain the hallucinogenic compound psilocybin.

"Magic mushrooms" contain the hallucinogenic compound psilocybin.

(CNN)"Magic mushrooms" may have moved one step closer to becoming a treatment for depression.

The active ingredient in psychedelic mushrooms is called psilocybin -- and a new British study suggests it could safely be used to treat depression when other drugs have failed, offering hope to millions of patients worldwide.
The study, conducted by King's College London and mental healthcare company Compass Pathways, administered psilocybin to 89 healthy adult volunteers.
The study compared the effects of 10mg and 25mg doses of psilocybin, and a placebo.

There were "no serious adverse events" and "no negative effects" on cognitive and emotional function among the volunteers that took psilocybin, according to a Compass Pathways press release. Instead, the volunteers experienced "changes in sensory perception and positive mood alteration" -- typical effects of psychedelic drugs.
"The results of the study are clinically reassuring and support further development of psilocybin as a treatment for patients with mental health problems that haven't improved with conventional therapy, such as treatment resistant depression," said James Rucker, one of the lead researchers from King's College London, in the press release.
This is just the first of two phases in their testing -- the second phase trial will involve over 200 patients with depression across Europe and North America

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

Just one?  I'd be a repeat offender!  The highly controlled environment would suck though!  Need some of that 60's San Fran "reggae" cranked in just for giggles n Schiits!   Now I'm having thoughts of Grace and Janis once again.  Stevie never really did much for me.  hahahaha  Yea, time to power up and crank 'em.  Ya just solved my problem on what to play!  This place is evil  :)

Man, let me tell ya. Back when I was about 16 or 17, me and a local padna used to ride his ole dirtbike on the lake levee to Jefferson Downs, a horse racetrack and pastures in Kenner, LA. We'd go pick psylicide mushrooms (purple ring on the stem) out of the cowpies bright and early, especially on foggy mornings. Come home and wash em and either make this terrible tasting "tea" extract from em, or slice em up and eat em on a hamburger. You talk about trip! Best free high I ever experienced. But it made me really nauseous most of the time, def didn't want to eat while tripping. We once made up a gallon of "tea" and took it to an all day concert @ Tad Gormery stadium in New Orleans. (A GF turned me on to mushrooms first time.)

We got chased out of the pasture once by a guy toting a shotgun. Never discharged it but def put the fear in ya!

Good thing I finally grew up, graduated high school and got serious about life. Never touched a shroom again after probably 18 or 19.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, dtel said:

I still love mushrooms,                                                                                     the normal ones.

Me too, nothing better with a nice juicy grilled ribeye. Mushrooms sauted in butter.

• Like 4