Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

17 hours ago, dtel said:

Not really mostly simple things, I love to cook.

I don't eat to live, I live to eat.

Cholesterol/triglyceride, have no idea what mine is, had it checked 25 years ago, probably time? :o Could stand to lose some weight, working on it somewhat, 6'3", 260-265 depending. But I only have about 6 months and I will be the oldest male in our family, ever, it's like a goal we'll see.  :lol:

Over the last 62.5 years doing healthy things was not on the list, probably should be dead already ?

Morning Eldon, did you know that grapefruit can practically eat the cholesterol out of your bloodstream? I ravenously read all kinds of medical stuff for a few years when my filter failed. Now I can't eat them except in the middle of the day `cause it could negate my immunosuppressant. The enzymes and stuff is so strong in them lots of Rx's warn against it. 

The ruby reds come out the third week in Jan? (or Feb.)

& I was two blocks away from the inland waterway (Indian River in Rockledge) In ten min I could be back with a knapsack full of them on my bike. Best I've ever had, even the stores in Orlando could not get them that fresh! 

Was thinking about em a couple of days ago but I like them for breakfast and that is impossible for me now. I rarely make brunch food but that would work.

Oh.... I knew you were a Bohemian :emotion-19::emotion-14: first time I read your signature!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dtel said:

Another place we like is Rock n Bowl, on Carrollton ave, cool place. It's a huge metal building, along the back wall is all bowling lanes, the front is a big stage and bars. It's all open so if your bowling your also listening to the band. It's a cheap place to hear live music and always fun, the crowd kind of changes depending on the band. We have brought our kids and grandkids there, kids allowed, they loved it. 

r & b.jpg

Been to both of their locations over the years, the former Mid City Lanes was their first. I lived/grew up 3 blocks from Carrolton and Claiborne intersection, ages 9-18. Streetcar or bus to anywhere in the city, was a dime on my very first ride. Fishing poles and a 5 gallon bucket to the lakefront with my padna, or City Park. I caught a 5lb 4 oz bass in City Park @ age 10, got it mounted and still on my wall today, right next to my desktop. I was pretty big into bank fishing @ a young age.

• Like 2

Amazing condition for 50 years old, and all the moving trips. I prize it to this day. Not the biggest bass in the world by any means, but the memories associated with it. I was age 10 at the time. Caught it on a purple worm fished on the bottom.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Man if I lost 50 lbs I'd blow away🤣🤣

me too.

I'm 6'2" and might weigh a buck and a quarter ... soaking wet. The only way I can gain weight is to let my hair grow. Bulking up for winter means more clothing

Spent yesterday flatback.  [Wife and I discussed this terminology given we do not endeavor to...] I caught a cold/flu..I wasn't trying to catch it.... Coughing and hacking... Don't get too close to your computer. I might still be contagious. 

We know about "Jewish Penicillin"... Wife has one better. "Sick Soup". A broth of hot Hungarian paprika and a lot of parsley. It works. I tried the chicken soup first

Off to a slow start this AM. House was full of smoke when I got up. Wife accidentally damped the fire off, as opposed to down. When I made coffee, it ran all over the place when I was letting the grinds bloom. Something [a coffee grind/ground?] holding the valve open..

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Morning Eldon, did you know that grapefruit can practically eat the cholesterol out of your bloodstream?

I didn't know that, I do like the juice, does that count or does it have to be the fruit ?

5 hours ago, polizzio said:

Been to both of their locations over the years

I had only been to the original location once a long time ago but we have been to the present location a bunch. Our cousin Kathy sings in bands that plays there sometimes.

I was surprised to see they opened a new location in Lafayette La, never been there.

5 hours ago, polizzio said:

I caught a 5lb 4 oz bass in City Park @ age 10, got it mounted and still on my wall today, right next to my desktop.

Back when I did insurance I kept a ultralite pole in the trunk and would stop and fish in City Park, the park and ponds are so old there are some nice bass, nice looking ponds and bridges all through the park.That's about the size of the biggest bass I have ever caught on fished fresh water a little, saltwater every weekend.

35 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I'm 6'2" and might weigh a buck and a quarter ... soaking wet.

Never was thin, about 6'3" 200 pounds in high school.

• Like 1

I have liked Florida's Natural since it came out in the 90s and was the least expensive. Not sure but I drink the ruby red a couple times a year. If I buy the fruit in a couple weeks it would be torture to not have it with first at six!             You know there was nothing derogatory with the bohem remark? Like live, eat, drink, and "make merry" to the fullest!

• Like 3

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

You know there was nothing derogatory with the bohem remark? Like live, eat, drink, and "make merry" to the fullest!

No I never thought that at all, that could be taken a bunch of different ways but I never thought anything of it, I could/have been called much worse. Thought it was a good thing when I read it, sounded like a complement to me. :emotion-21: That's how I took it anyway,  Thanks.

I need to get some grapefruit juice, in a way it reminds me of liquor, the first taste can be a little rough sometimes.

• Like 3

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Had a friend I nicknamed that years ago. Excess was something that came easy for him, in everything.

I guess I have been lucky, always tended to stay on the verge of excess but avoided the problems, or I was just lucky, not sure which. 

Plus I have slowed down alot from how I used to be, getting old can do that to you.

6 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I landed an 8lb bass on 4lb test and size 10 hook . Funny thing... it wasn't hooked. It inhaled the 1/4inch plastic maggot and blew it out thru its gill,  it wound around the main line, essentially, I lassoed the fish

I like ultralight poles, everything seems to fight more, one of the biggest bass I have ever caught was when I was perch fishing with a tiny hook.  I have never caught a bass as big as that but never fished freshwater alot compared to saltwater.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I landed an 8lb bass on 4lb test and size 10 hook . Funny thing... it wasn't hooked. It inhaled the 1/4inch plastic maggot and blew it out thru its gill,  it wound around the main line, essentially, I lassoed the fish

That had to be one heck of a moment, 8lb on ultralight. #10 is a tiny hook. First fly rod I purchased @ a local sporting goods store, first trip I landed a 4 lb 15 oz bass on a small top water plug. She inhaled it and I watched. This was fishing out of my lake skiff with a troll motor.

• Like 2

I don't fish for bass. Don't care for them as table fare. Bluegill/brim are my target species. Red-ear/shell crackers, no. They tend to taste muddy

I used a lightweight freshwater rig for surf fishing in HI. 6lb test line. That drew some looks. Not that I dinna have a 12ft surf pole... all I ever caught on it was frig green sea turtles.

I went blue water [deep sea] once a week.  100 - 150lb line.  We only had to go 11 miles out to get to 1500 fathom [9000ft deep].  I'd give my eye teeth for a good piece of ahi now ... at the time, I near got tired of it.

Honestly, I like skipjack tuna. The big ones [25 -30lb] are super good.  Most folks would use the small ones for bait.

If you can get wahoo, here's a good recipe. Egg wash and roll in Ritz cracker crumbs ... Fry in butter.

27 minutes ago, polizzio said:

First fly rod I purchased @ a local sporting goods store, first trip I landed a 4 lb 15 oz bass on a small top water plug. She inhaled it and I watched.

that's about as exciting as freshwater gets.

I've landed a few big bass on my ultralight. All of them started out as ,"Damn, I snagged a tree"... until it started swimming away.

• Like 2

One time out, fishing for 'gill, I hooked a little bass, maybe a pound. Got it up to the surface and saw this big swirl. Opened the bail.  Line went bye bye. Reeling it in, found that I was wrapped in trees. Gave a generous amt of line and let it sit while I had a smoke.... Once in a while, they will untangle themselves.... Not this time. Cut the line. While I was rigging back up, I see something one the surface. Row over... Two bass. My little one and a slightly bigger one choking on the small one.

Nice, Mookie.

I have a 15lb flathead on my list of improbable catches. It dragged me all over the lake before I got it in. I've only caught a couple smallmouth. They are good fighters. Pull as hard as any freshwater I've encountered.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

full of shit, eh...

sorry.   that was too easy, Elden

Ha, said something similar. A while back I told the wife the scale was lying to me..it wasn't.  

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

Caught this bad boy on an ultralight as well!

(made that last part up)

They put up a big fight also it would be unbelievable on ultralight, maby if no snags around and all to to fight it, maby.

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

OK, This one on ultralight! Not huge but smallmouth can really fight (especially on light weight gear)

Striped bass are also tough fighters.

• Like 2

@MookieStl

First one looks like you've been to the Belmont Hot Hole. Catfish is one of the best!

Where the hot water from the hydroelectric plant dumps into a cove to go to the Catawba has probably fed hundred of thousands around here over the decades. In the late 70s once they had Navy divers go down there because of the depth and an issue with the release valve/pipes or something. They came up quickly and were quoted in the paper as having said "There were catfish down there with a bit radius large enough to take arms or legs off a full grown man." The article implied that they did not finish the job.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@MookieStl

First one looks like you've been to the Belmont Hot Hole. Catfish is one of the best!

Where the hot water from the hydroelectric plant dumps into a cove to go to the Catawba has probably fed hundred of thousands around here over the decades. In the late 70s once they had Navy divers go down there because of the depth and an issue with the release valve/pipes or something. They came up quickly and were quoted in the paper as having said "There were catfish down there with a bit radius large enough to take arms or legs off a full grown man." The article implied that they did not finish the job.

This was the Lake of the Ozarks in central Missouri. I caught several close to this size. I estimated that I caught over 100 pounds of catfish in an hour. As fast as they started to bite, they stopped. Not sure why, just know it was a lot of fun. Many stories similar to yours circle around that lake as well, especially below the dam where they eat the shad that get ground up in the turbins for the hydro electric plant there. They shot an episode of River Monsters there a few years back. They didn't come up with any big catches.

I used to fish on the Missouri river below a power plant during the winter near their hot water outlet. Caught some nice fish, nothing newsworthy though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1