Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I would call  those gals  a "long cool drink of water".... I spose that , especially around here, we could associate them with coffee.

} Im betting that “ long cool drink of water” would have you sweating bullets in no time —🥶🤒

• Like 2

Mornin' all

Back to basics ... Mexican beans

I've been having too much fun. Digging up a septic line. Determined the excess water running to the tank is not coming from a leak in/under the house. What I am finding has my scratching my head. A water line running parallel to the septic line and not feeding the 2 hose bibs near it. This line does not appear to go to anything. ... except, maybe, straight into the septic line.

Was wondering why it might be that way. Only thing I can come up with is, the original owner/builder was not here all of the time, possibly for months at a time and dinna want the tank to dry out????  Can't think of any reason to have clean water dumping into the tank. If it is, we will stop that. Should know where the water [in the septic line] is coming from in the next 4 or 5 feet.

Need to gather some firewood today, too. We'll get wood first. My back is hummin'.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Was wondering why it might be that way.

Only reason I could think of that would be if the tank is leaking, the extra water keeps it full so bacteria can grow to eat up waste ? Being the desert and all, can't think of any other reason. 

Cut off the water and Pee more ?  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Mornin' all

Back to basics ... Mexican beans

I've been having too much fun. Digging up a septic line. Determined the excess water running to the tank is not coming from a leak in/under the house. What I am finding has my scratching my head. A water line running parallel to the septic line and not feeding the 2 hose bibs near it. This line does not appear to go to anything. ... except, maybe, straight into the septic line.

Was wondering why it might be that way. Only thing I can come up with is, the original owner/builder was not here all of the time, possibly for months at a time and dinna want the tank to dry out????  Can't think of any reason to have clean water dumping into the tank. If it is, we will stop that. Should know where the water [in the septic line] is coming from in the next 4 or 5 feet.

Need to gather some firewood today, too. We'll get wood first. My back is hummin'.

Cross connections between potable water and a waste fixture is never good.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Cross connections between potable water and a waste fixture is never good.

True, we used to have to install a backflow preventer just to go to the irrigation system, I would think a septic line would be out of the question. 

• Like 1

Mornin' all

I tend to think this "leak" is deliberate. Didn't do any digging yesterday. How much water is going into the line? About as much as a 1/2in line will give. Why it was done? I dunno. I do know that with the place continuously occupied, the tank will fill in cold/wet times.

Gathering wood may have gotten easy. The wildlife refuge is clearing off dead wood as a fire reduction measure  AND they are giving away. All I have to do is go get it. I plan on getting what I can... green or not, as long as it's not rotten/pithy. If I can't burn it this season, it will be ready after a summer of "seasoning". I may need to split some. The stove will take 10 - 12 inch diameter.

Bought some tickets to a hospital "mega raffle".  Better than 1:20 chance of winning a $100 prize.  Grand prize is $625,000. I bought 3 tickets to the raffle and 15] 50/50 tickets ... so, I have a 1 in 7 chance of getting 1/3 of my money back... lol   My luck, we will win a trip to Mexico. Where these things are concerned, I am usually a donor. I'm not holding my breath for a big win.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

This may be a legitimate "repair" or may be a half-assed attempt at fixing an underlying problem. 

I lean toward the latter.  This whole place was built of reclaimed materials. Most all of the surprises I have found were not happy ones. Finding redwood under the 3/16in panelling has been the only pleasant surprise.

• Like 3

Yesterday I pulled up all the 3 year old carpet and pad in the media room.  Quite the task for a 71 y/o.  The oak strip flooring goes in Saturday and two coats of finish by the end of the day Sunday.  The oak is here acclimating to the house temp/humidity.  Next will be a new equipment cabinet.  I'm liking the Salamander cabinets and plan on hiding most of the gear like folks did in the 80's.  Then an area rug.....put LF in charge of that project.  Then some wall sconces and maybe some Zero Degree chairs that Chris A. turned me onto.  Maybe some new gear too.......

Washed the bubble this morning even though there was frost on the roof of the house.  Bubble is going in for new spark plugs today.  $215 for six plugs installed.  When I was a teenager (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) plugs were about $1.50 each.  I did kick it with a Porsche Boxster yesterday morning and pulled away from his silly butt😊

So now you're all up to date..........

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Washed the bubble this morning even though there was frost on the roof of the house.  Bubble is going in for new spark plugs today.  $215 for six plugs installed.  When I was a teenager (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) plugs were about $1.50 each.  I did kick it with a Porsche Boxster yesterday morning and pulled away from his silly butt😊

So what is a "bubble"? 6 cyl no doubt. Was that a hand wash in the cold? $215 is mostly prob 65% labor. My 2012 camaro plugs are good for 96k miles, still in there - platinum tips, like $7 each @ amazon. I'll be replacing em myself when its time (very easy to access, hemi head, dohc). Fixing to do the auto tranny fluid and filter in a couple weeks myself. 67k mileage.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

How DO you survive all of that excitement???  I'm having trouble wondering when I'm going to find time to fuel up and save 60 cents a gallon using my Kroger fuel points.  2 days left so I better suit up and git er done.   Right after I dive on some chicken & noodles I cranked out yesterday.  :)

• Haha 4

y'all might wanna mark this date on your calendar

I have an "on topic" post

Got HDMI to RCA cables.  No audio out...The computer is outsmarting me. Trying to follow direction and "open a terminal"... No go

So, put the headphone to RCA back.

Test run.... my intermittent is back. Lasted long enough to find the source.  Swapped channel [L/R] wires and it followed. Popped the plugged in/out at the  headphone jack... problem solved.

mechanical connection. I hate intermittents

Hey Dave.

my excitement is fetching some free firewood.  I'll pay for it tomorrow .... when I try to get out of bed. That's if it waits that long

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Hey Dave.

my excitement is fetching some free firewood.  I'll pay for it tomorrow .... when I try to get out of bed. That's if it waits that long

Load up on the aspirin now to avoid the rush later.  lol  FREE is ALWAYS good.  Especially if you have free wood you can burn.  PITA loading it up but at least the FREE makes it a bit lighter or does it?  lol  Better you than me!  Jeans today?  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry I missed the talk about septic yesterday. I was outside building a wall. So you have a half inch water pipe that is ALWAYS on going into your septic tank. And no trap between the line and tank? WTF? How much is your water bill? How big is your leach field? This makes no sense to me.

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

So, put the headphone to RCA back.

I tried that before trying HDMI, the input signal to the receiver was low. I tried on the CD input and any other rca inputs and it was all the same. Had to run the laptop at 99% volume and crank it up on the other end, the sound was OK but not great, just OK. Hdmi from laptop to receiver HDMI is 100% better, but the receiver has to have HDMI also.

What kind of receiver you trying to connect to ? There is a way to do it, just need to figure it out.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Yesterday I pulled up all the 3 year old carpet and pad in the media room.  Quite the task for a 71 y/o.

Or anyone, no fun, I would say wish I could have helped but glad I was not around for this. :lol:

When I was a teenager (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) plugs were about $1.50 each. 

That was before they found different "fancy" materials to make plugs out of. But what is better changing them out 5 times or one set of the fancy ones ? 

If there easy to get to anyway, if not like on some cars it's worth paying for them to be made out of something much better like moon dust, it seems they go out of there way to make things hard to get to, engineers sitting at a desk who would never do it for themselves I guess ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

$215 for six plugs installed.  When I was a teenager (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) plugs were about $1.50 each.  I did kick it with a Porsche Boxster yesterday morning and pulled away from his silly butt😊

:lol: Alright so you've got more testo.... in ya today than me!

Mine's got a six... well when it goes over 4K rpms the right bank of the V opens up and it's six. Otherwise it's like a vw with 3 cylinders.

Cars are just too darn delicate now days, I baby them or is that back to the coreg zapping my... uhum  energy.

Keep that hot rod clean & keep rockin' :wink: HWY 74 does have some long flat straight stretches of road west of New Hanover Co.

this song ain't for daises, careful now! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1