Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Morning folks. So I've decided to move on from the Keurig and go back to a drip brewer. I've always remembered Bunn being a great coffee maker, but recently reading reviews, it doesn't seem that way. Apparently there are cheap Chinese plastic parts giving a funky taste and if that's not the issue, then they seem to have a quality issue. I've also been looking at Braun and Cuisinart. Anybody have one they like and why, any to to stay away from? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Morning folks. So I've decided to move on from the Keurig and go back to a drip brewer. I've always remembered Bunn being a great coffee maker, but recently reading reviews, it doesn't seem that way. Apparently there are cheap Chinese plastic parts giving a funky taste and if that's not the issue, then they seem to have a quality issue. I've also been looking at Braun and Cuisinart. Anybody have one they like and why, any to to stay away from? Thanks.

My Bunns have served me well  :D over the last 3.5 decades and currently have one at the office and one at home that are both well over 10 years old and they still do a fine job brewing coffee, but I have no clue what has or has not happened in the last decade, but I've been looking myself and the Technivorm's seem stellar in every way.  I'm only looking because I want to get away from the warmer plate and go to a carafe.  Besides time, temperature and the right grind, with all coffee makers, if you use bad water, you're going to get bad results.  That's just the one that I've zeroed in on, I'm sure you have 5-10 solid options depending on features and budget.

• Like 2

Whenever I've searched while buzzing on beans the ratio-8 was mesmerizing but the Technivorms were consistantly well regarded everywhere I looked. If Bunn has gone downhill go with those.

My manual one has too much setup & cleanup involved for me to go with it exclusively except for the $$ beans. That is until my Bunn dies. 

* Bonavita is priced better.

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

} In this day and age it would be hard to think that Braun and Cuisinart also use parts or are made in China — 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I've also been looking at Braun and Cuisinart.

I have a Cuisinart. Not being the most sophisticated member here .... I like mine. I have a matching burr mill, too.

4 minutes ago, richieb said:

} In this day and age it would be hard to think that Braun and Cuisinart also use parts or are made in China — 

hard to find much off anything that doesn't have pieces/parts from China. I would say, they produce as good of parts as are paid to.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Anybody have one they like and why, any to to stay away from?

Oldest daughter is a "glitcher" and found this somewhere for $49.99 so I bought it from her when my last one took a dump about a year ago.  Only one overflow so far and it was on me.  Ground things a bit too much.  Ha!  I don't use the K-cup feature but it's there if you go back to them.  Cuisinart Model SS-15P1. 

That girl can find some deals.  The real deal was a few years ago.  Found me a $499.95 Weber gas grill on the Home Depot site for $49.95.  Bought it on line and picked it up at the closest store.  Wanted to buy another one while there so looked and they'd found the glitch, changed the price back to $499.95.  Hahaha  Got a phone call and she and the grands came over and put it together for me.  Said Happy Birthday!  lolol

61FB1fnbbOL._SL1500_.jpg 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Bunn A-10 has been the best machine I've ever owned.

Mine is the ST, the first before warranty replacement was an STX.

Exterior is just more sleek than yours, nothing else. Good, HOT coffee!

• Like 3

I'm on my second Bunn in 30 years.  Their customer service is very good, too.  The thing about reviews online is that there is always a preponderance of negatives because they are the ones who will bother enough to air their beef.  The vast majority of happy customers will not bother.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Mine is the ST, the first before warranty replacement was an STX.

Exterior is just more sleek than yours, nothing else. Good, HOT coffee!

They've always been great, at least the few I've owned, and only a few over 35 years.  I had one fail after about 8 years, but that was the "bad" one. 

• Like 3

We have a Braun as well, but my wife uses it to make hot water for her morning beverages.  I can't comment about how it may make coffee.  It is a lot slower than the Bunn though, and the "clean me" light comes on two months after cleaning.  I clean it about every six months instead.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It's not a bad gambit, but don't let us influence you, we are not being paid....the Bunn will however give you the quickest cup besides those one cup things.

And a fine cup of coffee.  Brews within optimal temp and time.  Oldtimer, if you're having to clean that every couple of months, you need to look at the water you're running through it.  Sounds like you have high mineral content and it will build up quickly and affect the taste of anything you brew.  Try using distilled water for all of it for a couple weeks and I think you'll see what I'm talking about.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pete H said:

And a fine cup of coffee.  Brews within optimal temp and time.  Oldtimer, if you're having to clean that every couple of months, you need to look at the water you're running through it.  Sounds like you have high mineral content and it will build up quickly and affect the taste of anything you brew.  Try using distilled water for all of it for a couple weeks and I think you'll see what I'm talking about.  

I hear ya.  The Honolulu water used to be the greatest.  Awesome right from the tap.  Now, even filtered it just isn't right.  The problem with distilled, in my opinion, is that it is too tasteless and sterile.  Kind of like music on a cd.

• Like 3

Just now, oldtimer said:

I hear ya.  The Honolulu water used to be the greatest.  Awesome right from the tap.  Now, even filtered it just isn't right.  The problem with distilled, in my opinion, is that it is too tasteless and sterile.  Kind of like music on a cd.

It's all what you get use to.  I've been using R.O. or distilled water for so long that when I drink coffee with hard water, I can tell right away.  

• Like 2