Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

24 minutes ago, Edgar said:

You'll notice that I no longer live in northern New England. 

Yes I noticed MO. I have lived my entire life down south. I don't know how people live and work in those extreme lows, but they do. Like Canada and northern US. My career was in oil refinery operations and when I retired our Ops Manager asked me if I was interested in working part time @ our Detroit refinery. I asked him if he was f**kin nuts! He is from MI originally. I heard enough stories and experiences from my fellow supervisors who went north for strike duty, or extended turnarounds. They came back with oversized, HD insulated coveralls and head and face coverings, boots, and gloves. Talk of catching a couple of samples in the AM before dawn and having to go back and warm up for the next couple.

Not for me, no thanks. Christmas Eve 1989 we lost the entire refinery (Garyville, LA) due to low atmos temps in the wee hours and had a few fires (but nobody was injured). When I walked out from the control room @ 0600 it was earily quiet. Got to 16F that morning. We fought hard but lost that morning. Down for 3 or 4 days, probably cost our employer 3 to 5 million dollars. Can't imagine doing it @  zero degrees F or lower.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

We've got permanently moldy `round here I think.

I will have to find a way to get a pressure washer here this spring or earlier, can't replace all the cement for $9.99 like that plastic tank above!

Supposed to get a cold front?? tomorrow. Winter - like weather for 24 hours instead of four months. 60 - 70s rain, rain, rain.

Insert LZ's The Rain Song or LL's Wicked Rain or whatever you want.

Got good coffee, I'll live through it.

nod.gif

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Yes I noticed MO. I have lived my entire life down south.

I grew up in St. Louis, but after college my job(s) took me all over the US, mostly in the northern tier -- Syracuse NY, Madison WI, Chicago IL, Hanover NH, Minneapolis MN, Burlington VT, etc. The coldest I've ever felt was that first Winter in Hanover. The locals just shrugged-off the cold while I suffered, but when it hit 85°F in the Summer they wilted while it felt like Springtime in St. Louis to me. Your body acclimates.

• Like 4

I'm entertaining thoughts of drowning some worms this afternoon.... after things warm up 65` is what's called for. Frost hasn't melted off yet.... it 32 -33`right now.

Neighbors got an earful of BlackSabbath while I was vacuuming. I'm "chawmpin' at the bit" to get out.

...maybe a few too many coffees?

nah

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Edgar said:

-30°C is only -22°F. Not so bad. When I lived in northern New England, I got to the point where I could tell the difference between -20°F and -25°F by the crunch of the snow when I stepped on it.

That's the way I was in Wisconsin after living there a while. My parents retired up in the NW corner of the state, close to Hayward, where it would get to -40. I lived in Madison and then out in Waterloo (home of Trek bicycles).

I now live about as far north as I want to get here in north Georgia. Farther south would be fine...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

It was an accident, I didn't realize until it was done, can't take credit accidents happen. :blush:

Take credit, we'll never know it was an accident.

I was talking once with these super smart philosophy dudes. Most of what they said was way over my head, but I made a comment and one of them said, "You have a good point there" and began to explain my alleged point.  I have no idea what he was talking about ... it was one of those "did I say that?" moments, but it sure sounded smart, so I kept my mouth shut from then on.  As long as people don't expert you to follow it up with something equally as impressive -- you'll be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Take credit, we'll never know it was an accident.

Your right, that's a funny story, had something similar happen before. Only because some try to analyze and overthink things, it does not have to be that confusing, be honest and to the point usually does it.

Unless your trying to answer a female type person,  then sometimes you have to word things differently or not say somethings, truth does not always need to be involved. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, polizzio said:

Yes I noticed MO. I have lived my entire life down south. I don't know how people live and work in those extreme lows, but they do. Like Canada and northern US. My career was in oil refinery operations and when I retired our Ops Manager asked me if I was interested in working part time @ our Detroit refinery. I asked him if he was f**kin nuts! He is from MI originally. I heard enough stories and experiences from my fellow supervisors who went north for strike duty, or extended turnarounds. They came back with oversized, HD insulated coveralls and head and face coverings, boots, and gloves. Talk of catching a couple of samples in the AM before dawn and having to go back and warm up for the next couple.

Not for me, no thanks. Christmas Eve 1989 we lost the entire refinery (Garyville, LA) due to low atmos temps in the wee hours and had a few fires (but nobody was injured). When I walked out from the control room @ 0600 it was earily quiet. Got to 16F that morning. We fought hard but lost that morning. Down for 3 or 4 days, probably cost our employer 3 to 5 million dollars. Can't imagine doing it @  zero degrees F or lower.

Back in late 60's-early 70's I was working for a company in the oil field industry  (National Tank) in Calgary, Alberta. 'They' (oil companies from Tulsa to Texas), sent truckers to pick up

oil field equipment in Calgary in winter, sometimes in the worst of weather. Quite a few times the drivers and their trucks showed up frozen! No antifreeze or heaters in their tractors, wearing shorts,T shirts, flip flops etc. Many begged a ride to the airport and abandoned their rigs. We laughed our asses off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NADman said:

Quite a few times the drivers and their trucks showed up frozen! No antifreeze or heaters in their tractors, wearing shorts,T shirts, flip flops etc. Many begged a ride to the airport and abandoned their rigs. We laughed our asses off.

Growing up in Los Angeles, when i joined the military, i was sent to a ship on the Great Lakes. I was to meet the ship in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It was the end of October. 

I didn’t even own a coat. Day One, after work, i hightailed it downtown to buy a coat. 

• Like 1

The Boy Scout's motto is something that's common knowledge for us old farts, in the north.

Even on the warmest day's, even in the Okanagan  we would never go out on a boat without gear.

Biggest 'ship' I was ever on was 'The Maid of the Mist' when I was 3 yrs old. Everyone was wearing those ugly yellow slickers and I lost my Mom and Dad.

Scared me forever. Ha

"Be Prepared"

• Like 5

11 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

When I was In high school I was a member of an Explorer group.  Think boy scouts with girls also.  We cabin camped one long weekend in the winter where the warmest it got during the day was -10.  It was memorable but not entirely enjoyable.  Sure we had fun as you would expect a group of teenagers would but you had to be careful outside.  We didn't have the type of clothing or sleeping bags that are available now to combat the cold either.  It was the coldest weekend I can ever remember being in during my time in upstate New York.

My Boy Scout troop was based on Long Island.  The first camping trip most we were on was to a local camp but the February temps went to -2 F. at night and we all froze.  I had a sleeping bag bought with Green Stamps.  The leaders should have brought us all home.

A year later we had somehow learned a lot.  E.g. use two sleeping bag, one stuffed inside the other.  Sleep in a sweat suit with  a knit hat, gloves, and two pair of socks.  That was Operation Igloo in upstate New York.

Girls?  There were girls?  Way before my time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Poster hanging at some coffee shop in Texas (can’t remember which town).  If you’re at the counter when a Queen song plays, your drink is free. Think i saw this on Hunter Pence’s instagram or Twitter ... but, i did email with the establishment to get the story so i could pass it on to Brian May.  Turns out the owner was just a big fan of Queen.

Update:  The coffee house is called Blacksmith and it’s in Houston.

IMG_0093.jpg

• Like 3