Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

17 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Nice air show P-51 can still fly fast enough for the F-22 at slow speeds. P-38 Lightning was one of my favorite models. RAF, a Phantom, F-35, & a Saber that still flies!

The F-22 flew 2 days at our local airshow in Hammond, and i watched both days. I actually viewed it while flying its practice runs on Friday before the shows. Its flying circuit took it over my house several times. I have been doing airshows off and on for 45 years and the F-22 is the most agile and amazing aircraft in the air I have ever seen fly. It has all the bells and whistles, plus thrust vectoring.

There is a reason the US will not sell the F-22 to even our allies. Its stealth technology and classified tech.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, polizzio said:

the F-22 is the most agile and amazing aircraft in the air I have ever seen fly.

I almost crashed my car watching the wing nuts. I don't know what plane they were flying [they all look alike now] ... they had the plane in a flat spin ... hovering. Not a Harrier, either

The only modern jet that doesn't struggle to stay in the air with the prop planes is the A-10. Big mistake phasing them out.

What impresses me is how small the WWII fighters are. 

... and Chinook helicopters. You think they are big... A Blackhawk is bigger.

• Like 2

Yes, can't believe that I didn't mention the tank-killers up above. Those and the B-52, the DC-3 some of the best ever made!! Was that a Saber or a Starfighter. Not sure, but there was one brought to the park when I was about five... it still had the seat, gauges and wiring for a couple weeks afterwards. Took it away a decade ago. That was after the dimwits took over. Veterans are murders to them and war relics encite bad thoughts or something like that.

33 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

and Chinook helicopters. You think they are big... A Blackhawk is bigger.

Ummmm nope...  The schiithook is 98' and the Blackhawk 64'10".  I watched a 105mm Howitzer break a strap during a Blackhawk airlift once.  Sad yet funny.  When it hit the ground it bounced and was in one piece.  I thought wow and then it hit the second time and went into a million pieces.  hahaha  Sling broke.  

• Like 1

The Chinook gives the impression of being much larger in photos.

Is that measurement rotor tip to rotor tip?

By helicopter standards, that is big. Remember the goldfish bowl with an erector set tail boom from the Korea. It could barely get itself off the ground w/o any extra loading ...

I assume what I saw dropping water on the fires was Chinooks. They looked about the same size as the Blackhawks.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:31 PM, DizRotus said:

What a pleasant and unexpected surprise.  It called for a TGIF Griffin Claw Default Pilsner.

Thank you very much Mike @MookieStl for the Speakerlab badge.  It’ll go well with the framed business card from my DJ days.  I painted the Speakerlab logo on the fronts of the four black SKhorns in large white letters and made their catalogs available to my subjects.  In exchange, Speakerlab paid for Seattle to Detroit shipping, which in 1975 saved me ~$180.

9DEB1B6F-855B-4CC7-8D73-2338719DE94D.jpeg

Glad you liked it and glad I gave you an excuse to have a beer.

It's a nice badge, and you're just about the only person I know that would have  shared that sentiment, so I sent you one of them.

It was a good company for broke dudes like me that wanted good sound and liked to build chit. 

• Thanks 1

That rc plane moves and sounds kinda like a bumblebee!

The Sikorsky Sky Crane is something to see and to feel maneuvering around. In the 90s staining/painting the Polynesian at Disney they replaced the rooves of all the buildings. We'd have to take long lunches the days the helicopter was bringing the large raised ridge roofing from an island to the setup place on each building for the roofers to use. Yea, remember how you could feel the 60s cars coming? That copter was powerful and built back then too, shook the ground better than a 426 Hemi-Bird did! Over a dozen per side it was that they used.

polynesian.jpg

Sikorsky-Skycrane.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I assume what I saw dropping water on the fires was Chinooks. They looked about the same size as the Blackhawks.

That is nose to tail.  Seemed funny when I read your post cause I've been in both so I googled them.  Each serves their purpose well but that Blackhawk is a great ride.  Slipped up in one again last summer a couple of the pilots were getting their flight time in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunburnwilly said:

Well , he's Canadian , so there's that .

if I wasn't mostly Portuguese (well, Azorean if we want to be snobbish) and then American, I'd want to be Canadian (or British as long as I wouldn't have to bow to the queen -- nothing against her, she's fine gal, just that I'm not all that proper). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MookieStl said:

It was a good company for broke dudes like me that wanted good sound and liked to build chit. 

Thank goodness for friends.  Another old friend gave me the framed business card, but only after he made sure to keep one for himself.  At 26 years old, I was too shortsighted to keep any cards or photos of that endeavor when I sold the business for $4,000 in 1976.  Thanks to good friends I now have tangible tokens of the memories, not to mention high frequency hearing loss.

I didn’t build the four SKhorns, they were factory built.  I did build a pair of 7s for my friend and mentor regarding Jazz, Blues, and R & B.  I also pointed many others to their own Speakerlab experiences.

Thanks again, and my wife thanks you too.

BC5B0868-4C31-44B3-937A-C90A4BC27C45.jpeg

• Like 1