Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

Take me to school Brian ... I know of salt water brine, how does soaking in apple juice compare?  Just for taste or does it keep the meat moist as well?

Thanks. 

Apple juice gives moisture but I think it also takes some of the saltiness out if it has been injected with a saline solution.  Apples and pork are just a natural.  Papaya is to be used only in short time periods or it can basically digest the meat into mush if you're not careful.  See an Alton Brown episode on that.    So if the meat has already been brined with saline injection, more brine is a bad idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 3/8/2020 at 11:23 AM, oldtimer said:

So anyway, I have a rack of ribs I am going to put in the smoker, and instead of wasting fire I have a big pork loin to go with it.  Does anyone have any tips for the loin such as how long it should take?

If it's a true pork loin and not a different cut 140 degrees max internal temp, any more and it will be white, dry and tough. I stop them at 135 degrees.

Pork butt or shoulder 190-193, this way it melts all of or most of the fat out but not dry it out.

• Moderators

Sometimes I like alot of flavor, so this 1/2 loin has been marinating since yesterday. It was covered with a little olive oil then rubbed with plenty of Sriracha sauce and sprinkled with a South Louisiana seasoning called Nunu's. Also injected with similar mix. Usually do one pork loin a week

Smoking some chicken today, the pork loin will be tomorrow. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Ribs still have a way to go but looking good.  Hate to wrap for fear of steaming but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. 

I tend to foil ribs, when mostly cooked I foil for about an hour and take it off for about another hour or until there done. It does tend to steam but it also seems to help melt some of the fat off, no foil at the end it to try to get that oil off they were sitting in in the foil. 

Some chicken, only on about an hour.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

guess it's my turn ... frozen burrito nuked in the microwave, poured a can of chili on top and covered with ketchup and Brian's Ghost hot sauce.

ahhh, the bachelor life ... really sucks.

No that's your way, not bachelor. You know you can cook if you wanted to, but I do understand it's not easy to cook for one person. And the other side of it is except for some of the chili and most of the ketchup it's probably pretty good. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Most of the time I don't need to, sometimes I do.

It seems it all depends on the type of ribs and how they look as far as fat content. A while back we got some ribs and for some reason they had more fat than any I had ever seen, lazy hog ? Ran across a pork loin like that also a couple weeks ago.

Just now, oldtimer said:

Send them west?  Or were you cruel and sent them east?

I am not sending them anywhere, just cleaning up their crap. I do know for a fact that other cities are sending the problem to our town. If we (the volunteers) can establish that the folks have family where they will be accepted  bus tickets are purchased to send them.

• Sad 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, USNRET said:

Had to have a cocktail. Spent the last two days cleaning out vagrant camps in our part of the world. FRIGGING NASTY; burned my clothes.

It seems out of control, I read that the people in Austin are tired of being overrun with new camps popping up, they think the same, there being shipped from other cities.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

It seems out of control, I read that the people in Austin are tired of being overrun with new camps popping up, they think the same, there being shipped from other cities.

The political climate of Austin (once a very great city) welcomes them in the same manner as California cities. I am not a fan. You need help? It's available. You want a meal and roof but don't want to follow the rules of the host then screw you and no one should EVER slip you money at a red light.