Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Anyone else having trouble finding food staples currently?

I've been wanting to resupply flour and yeast. Yeast has been especially hard to find here but I did find some today, along with  sugar, Hydrogen Peroxide, Lysol spray and Antibacterial Hand Wipes. None of the large grocers have had any of the above in stock so I went to a tiny independent grocer that has been around for 75 years and they had a limited supply of all of the above. They even had a stock of disposable surgical masks which are not as effective as N95's, but a lot better than nothing - especially if you double up by wearing two at the same time.

Nothing with a price on it but I was not leaving feeling I was ripped off.

Wb

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Anyone else having trouble finding food staples currently?

I've been wanting to resupply flour and yeast.

I read something about a lot of people in quarantine wanting to bake their own bread, so the associated supplies to do that are running low in stores. 

I got that from the news so not sure how accurate it is.😃

1 hour ago, Wolfbane said:

I've been wanting to resupply flour and yeast.

was looking into sourdough.  take 4 - 5 days to get a starter going. Then, just feed it equal flour/water mix.  ... yeah, I know. Ya still need flour to do that.

We have been able too get staples from the little store in town. Supermarkets seem to be iffy.  Instructed wife to get a big bag of flour and beans from her folks in Mexico. One has a tortilla factory. I bet they have flour.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

I read something about a lot of people in quarantine wanting to bake their own bread, so the associated supplies to do that are running low in stores. 

I got that from the news so not sure how accurate it is.😃

Pretty accurate, our daughter was looking for bread flour and yeast, after 2 weeks she was able to get some. Yesterday she borrowed our bread maker and started making it last night. 

I was avoiding doing that because between the smell and how good it is. If I made it everyday I would blow up like a hog, well even bigger, so it was easy to let her take the machine home.

The yeast is just as hard to find as the bread flour.

• Like 5

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

The smell of fresh bread!!! I will down a half of a 2lb loaf before it gets cool... and then wonder why I'm bloated.

no worries if I put on 20 or 50lb. My weight prob is lack of.

It does smell great, yes it usually disappears pretty fast especially if you have not made it in a good while.

I do not need any more weight, 265 now and what you said about bloated is very true. It seems at times when I eat alot of bread or junk carbs I blow up, after a couple days I'm thinking I gained a bunch of weight and weigh myself and it's the same as before, just bloated.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtel said:

t's not for everyone, but if it's mostly all you have ever had it's good, other coffee now taste like it's missing something to me, kind of flat. 

I get it

When you're away from it, you can't wait to get home for a good cup of coffee. Just like the rest of us when we're out of the house.

Elden,

I could take 65 of those lbs and still wouldn't break 200. I'm around a buck and a quarter.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

It does smell great, yes it usually disappears pretty fast especially if you have not made it in a good while.

I do not need any more weight, 265 now and what you said about bloated is very true. It seems at times when I eat alot of bread or junk carbs I blow up, after a couple days I'm thinking I gained a bunch of weight and weigh myself and it's the same as before, just bloated.

IF I lived as close to NO as you do; French Bread would’ve added 50 lbs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Elden,

I could take 65 of those lbs and still wouldn't break 200. I'm around a buck and a quarter.

I would be more happy than you to give it to you. A few years ago I lost 50 pounds and felt great, slowly got way from eating like that and gained it back, I NEED to do something again.

38 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

IF I lived as close to NO as you do; French Bread would’ve added 50 lbs.

I try to avoid it, the local stores get it from N.O. and some bake there own which is pretty close, it makes great sandwiches. I just hate that rubbery sub type of bread.

36 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

there's a lot of other good food stuff to distract you from the bread.

There's the big problem, I love to eat so I love to cook.  

• Like 3