Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
3 hours ago, KROCK said:

To bad this is OUTLAWED; image.jpeg.aaeed1160bd66d38cfe8657aba5eee53.jpeg 1 oz per 50 gal of water.

I looked online to find out what to spray the first few times, this was one of them, the other was Biffin.  The local feed store had this one, it killed them if under a minute , I have sprayed 13 gallons in walls around the outside and all through the attic. We will get on one of those termite programs where they set out bait stations and spray everything.

s-l1000 (1).jpg

• Like 2

i’d be just as ascared of that stuff as i am of the corona virus. 

I’m not a fan of chemicals. 

used to hear this commercial on the radio and this place was touting how safe & effective something called Orange Oil was in ridding your house of termites.  No idea if that is the pesticide equivalent of snake oil and have never heard from anyone that used it to know if it really works. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i’d be just as ascared of that stuff as i am of the corona virus. 

I’m not a fan of chemicals. 

used to hear this commercial on the radio and this place was touting how safe & effective something called Orange Oil was in ridding your house of termites.  No idea if that is the pesticide equivalent of snake oil and have never heard from anyone that used it to know if it really works. 

It seems most of the natural organic chemicals are at very best not so good at what they are supposed to do. Anyway none of this chemical was sprayed on the inside of the house, in walls and the attic plus in walls from the outside. You could barley smell it the day it was sprayed and not at all the next day, but that doesn't mean we were not breathing it ?

But smelling it a little the first day was much safer then a ceiling or wall falling on you, it does get that bad. 2x8 ceiling joist were gone, 2 layers of 3/4" plywood almost completely gone, they ate between the two layers of plywood, you could not see it from either side.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

It seems most of the natural organic chemicals are at very best not so good at what they are supposed to do. Anyway none of this chemical was sprayed on the inside of the house, in walls and the attic plus in walls from the outside. You could barley smell it the day it was sprayed and not at all the next day, but that doesn't mean we were not breathing it ?

But smelling it a little the first day was much safer then a ceiling or wall falling on you, it does get that bad. 2x8 ceiling joist were gone, 2 layers of 3/4" plywood almost completely gone, they ate between the two layers of plywood, you could not see it from either side.

i guess if the vapors were that strong, Christy would have felt it fairly soon -- i know my lungs let me know quick enough. 

Spent a hour or so on the internet looking for a dentist. Didn’t go last year with the move and brother’s surgery, recovery, complications, etc... Got a problem molar, well not the molar the gums around tooth are swollen and bleeds quite a bit when flossing/brushing. Geez. you’d think dentists belong to a cartel -- it was hard to find much information about them. Think i found one though.  Took information from a few that looked okay -- this one place is an IN-Network provider so that helps reduce the cost. Last place i went to didn’t tell me that they were out of network and then send me a bill for what the insurance didn’t pay. I told them, cleanings are free and they said, “Well, we’re not in the network yet, so..."

This new place asked if i wanted an appointment and i told them that I’d call them ... still too nervous with this virus to have a stranger inches away from my face.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

I told my wife I need to find some recipes for different things using coffee, I know there are thousands but I need to get off my butt and try some. 

Bet that was good.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, dtel said:

I told my wife I need to find some recipes for different things using coffee, I know there are thousands but I need to get off my butt and try some. 

Bet that was good.

If this was 20 years ago... Alcohol would be the main ingredient

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

that's iced coffee... substituting ice cream for ice    Looks good

I filled the "pool" today. sat in it for a few minutes..  Sarong is still damp .... and cool 4 hour later. The material is pretty heavy/thick.   Evaporative cooling at its best. Need to make a shirt/coat/jacket from similar material.  Be careful not to get chilled in this 100`+. You can.

didn't do anything exciting today. Loafed ...after I moved  a stove and raked.... some more.

Wife went in for her "last day", this session. She's now on summer break. Still gets to go in once a week or so, as admin stuff needs.

Because we are a little slow here .... we got our got our girl scout cookies....finally. I bet the thin mints are a block of chocolate with cookie layers.

spot is buffering bad, again. turned the volume down so it wouldn't startle me when it does play. It's background noise. Can't "listen"...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Older guy down the street passed a couple years ago so the kids had a "tag sale."  Just put a price on things and opened up the house so people could buy what they wanted.  One of their friends was an auctioneer's helper from Cbus who came up to help them price things and make sales, etc.  They used a local auctioneer to sell what's left so they don't have to pay him as much.  Saw a shelf in the garage w/quarts and half-gallon cans of ALL" the good stuff.  Asked the woman if all that was for sale and she said sure how bout $5.  Gave her the $5 and she gave me a plastic tub for everything.  I have an entire tub full now.  Half-gallon jug of malathion, chlordane and stuff I haven't even looked at.  Bring on those man killin hornets  or whatever they are!  :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, KROCK said:

Just make sure you replace all the infested wood, & keep the moisture off your house if possable. 

Everything was removed that had any sign of termite damage at all, but with all the spraying we have not seen any living anywhere and removed the dead. We did find where there was a possible leak from an old wooden frame window upstairs. Couldn't find any other possible leaks, have a new window to replace it upstairs, once I get a floor put back to stand on to get to it.

• Like 3

`Mornin

Gal next door to us is great! Helped her get a desk inside and put together the other day. Yesterday she brings me some pastries from Amelies.

Coconut Macroons go well with my preferred breakfast!

@grasshopper we won't see 100 until August or September usually unless there's a heatwave. No telling this year but glad that I can swim, rained like crazy last night, it woke me up it was so hard. Sun is scheduled to maybe come out this Sunday.

IMG-20200529-082121.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Is it the internet or where your trying to pick up the wifi from?

a little of both.   Mostly the internet, itself.  One bar is enough, if there is anything to pass on it.

Mornin' All

Better get outside and enjoy it now. In a few hours, it will be time to hide from the sun. It's somewhere around 60`. It will be 102` or so. 107` in Tucson. Drank that one cup of leftover coffee this AM. ... and it was good. Into fresh now.  Fire season is in full swing. A 10 - 20% chance of rain Sunday thru Wed. Those are very good chances. That's when we will get bombed. If it doesn't rain, I expect a flush of lightning caused fires. It is still dry as ... Our dew point is still in the low to mid 20's.... single digit r/h. Fun weather to try gardening in. I water at sundown. It might have a chance to soak in. I'll be chasing wilting plants with the hose.  Yes, I have used drip irrigation. Two years with it resulted in two crop failures. Back to what I know.

Listening to some SteveWinwood. They were saying that he and Hendrix wanted to gig but were locked in a Mexican stand-off. Both were afraid to ask.... thought the other was "too cool"  to want to play.

• Like 1

John

that looks good.

We get high temps, yes. It will be near 100 until July. Then it cools down. Trade some temp for humidity. Our r/h is always low. 30% is considered high for here. June is a hot nasty month. This rain that is predicted is unusual. Late June is when it normally tries to rain.

• Like 1

Those little macrons are sticky and heavy and fluffy at the same time, not too sweet and seems like there's two eggs in each one they are so rich!

70 - 90% is the norm here for summertime when all the fronts bring air from the gulf up here! H pressure systems make it feel good here and zapp the rain away!

• Like 1

I bet our heat index is lower than your most of the summer.  i'll take the heat and low r/h. All you need to do to cool off is get wet or into the shade. I love to swim. I do not participate down here. I get too chilled when I get out. I'm coming out of the water because I'm cold, and then to air dry in two minutes is more than I care for. When I go fishing in this weather, I usually keep cool by putting my foot in the water. Dressing for the occasion helps. Don't wear a black t-shirt.

The cookies must have been good. Only a piece/part of one left in the pic....