Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

Looks like there were some changes made on the forum today, it wasn't me but I could careless. 

56 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Getting rid of some clutter may help?

Might help, can;t hurt.

57 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I don't wanna have to buy a computer.

the school gets rid of old [3 or 4 years] computers.

Almost any computer can stream music, what's more important is the ability of your internet and if you want to wifi and that contraption.

59 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Might look into snagging one exclusively for streaming music.

I use a little laptop, kind of old and a little slow but streams great and a big plus it has a HDMI out which sounds much better ran into the HT receiver used as a pre amp.

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

If I do pay spotify to upgrade, will that improve the quality? I'm still on the free side. Glad they aren't obnoxious about their commercials.  They could have a squawk siren for 25 seconds and then say "Isn't it worth $10/month to not hear that?"

I was on the free side for years, different company Pandora.  I started years ago with Pandora so i went with that one since i had so many favorites channels/playlist already set up.

It is $9.99 a month and probably similar to Spotify, no commercials, unlimited skips and pick songs you want to hear , that's new on Pandora.

When you subscribe you do get a high bit rate which does sound better, I could easily hear the difference, plus no commercials, to me it's worth it. And from what I read Spotify subscribers get a better bit rate Pandora subscribers. I decided as much as we use it it was worth $10 a month and with nice improvements, well worth it to me.   

5 minutes ago, dtel said:

Looks like there were some changes made on the forum today, it wasn't me but I could careless. 

I saw a couple of threads locked -- is that what you mean?   If you could care less, you should.   Sorry couldn't resist that, it's a slow night after a rough day. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

you can... you don't have the weather to do it there, though  Our R/H is very low. Right now, hanging the sheets on the clothesline is near futile. They are dry before you get them hung up.

I use to hang clothes on a line behind the house, i liked it, i don't know why. In the summer they would dry much faster than in the dryer, one thing the kids complained, the towels would come out like they were ironed, rough and stiff, you could almost fold one and it would stand up.  I think I liked it because it was surprising how fast things would dry.

You dry pretty fast is you sweat, but if you keep working you stay wet, it can't dry fast enough, until I quit which does not take nearly as long the older I get

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, BigStewMan said:
7 minutes ago, dtel said:

I saw a couple of threads locked -- is that what you mean?   If you could care less, you should.   Sorry couldn't resist that, it's a slow night after a rough day. 

Yea one was locked, went to look at it and it might have been the drift to talk about dogs for a minute, don't even remember how dogs came up. OK it probably not about the dogs, I don't even see a name of who locked it so it may have been Chad ? Still don't care, or maby don't want to be bothered is more accurate?

But I say i don't care if some stay or go because I just don't participate much if I'm not interested, or get tired of watching the same horse get beat again. Like the virus thread and then the protest/riot thread, reading it is like watching it nonstop on TV,  I don't need every detail and as far as the second one we can protect ourselves and have no plans to put my self where I might need to on purpose.   So I could careless weather they stay or go, if I want to be confrontational about any of it I am sure there are thousands of places online just for bitching and complaining. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dtel said:

I use to hang clothes on a line behind the house, i liked it, i don't know why. In the summer they would dry much faster than in the dryer, one thing the kids complained, the towels would come out like they were ironed, rough and stiff, you could almost fold one and it would stand up.  I think I liked it because it was surprising how fast things would dry.

You dry pretty fast is you sweat, but if you keep working you stay wet, it can't dry fast enough, until I quit which does not take nearly as long the older I get

when I lived in the desert I worked outside. The morning we'd do the roofing and the afternoon would be inside or underneath the residence. I'd soak my shirt & hat and work until the dried, then go back to the water cooler and wet them again. 

Even been on the aluminum roof of a mobile home when it's 110 degrees outside?  Not only very bright; but very hot.  

• Like 2

you can... you don't have the weather to do it there, though  Our R/H is very low. Right now, hanging the sheets on the clothesline is near futile. They are dry before you get them hung up.

never lived anywhere that hot ,   but it's gotta be great for losing weight

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Did the same thing, when wetting the hat and shirt, I would bend over and hose off my head for a minute, that feels great and it can just about give you chills, then you feel kind of revived to go finish off the heat stroke. We did landscaping, irrigation, and trees, always in the sun it seemed. Probably why I have skin cancer and other damage now, from not protecting myself all those years.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

Like the virus thread and then the protest/riot thread, reading it is like watching it nonstop on TV, 

I hear you on that one. I may take someone's advice about a speaker or an amp's performance from this forum, but political or moral matters -- sorry guys, not looking here for wisdom or direction. 

I know people get spun up about politics; but sadly they don't say why they ensconce themselves in it to the point of ending or damaging friendships. I've asked and not a one has ever answered. 

Sometimes I get sucked into one of those discussions here, but I'd be perfectly happy if those threads didn't exist. I come to the forum as an escape from life, hoping to laugh some and see how you folks are doing -- if I want to see the crappy world, I'll look out my window. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RandyH said:

never lived anywhere that hot ,   but it's gotta be great for losing weight

It can be but you really need to drink alot of water, my wife and I would mix up 3.5 gallons of Gatorade and drink it in a day with one helper. If you don't drink you will not make it, do it enough and your dead, it can happen pretty quickly. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

Probably why I have skin cancer and other damage now, from not protecting myself all those years.

I worry about that because I never wore sun screen and in my younger days, I was outside all the time. I'm fortunate to have an olive complexion and I just get real tan instead of burnt. But, as I age, I see some spots appear. So far the doctor has said none of them are bad and she used to work at a skin cancer clinic in Phoenix so she's seen her share of cancer. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

I hear you on that one.

I may read a little on occasion, mostly to see different opinions or thoughts, but very shortly see more than I want and move on.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

I worry about that because I never wore sun screen and in my younger days, I was outside all the time. I'm fortunate to have an olive complexion and I just get real tan instead of burnt. But, as I age, I see some spots appear. So far the doctor has said none of them are bad and she used to work at a skin cancer clinic in Phoenix so she's seen her share of cancer. 

The Olive skin could have greatly improved your chances, not because of color but just genetically more sun was common, if that's a thing? 

I only have the skin problems on my arms and a little on my back, the dermatologist said it is all sun damage. Had one thing removed and now have another that needs to be remover, like dime size, nothing major. She even said if you have cancer this is the kind you want, we can just remove and that's done unless something else pops up.  

16 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

read my stuff carefully -- it's fascinating!

I know it's amazing, thought about publishing your post to hardcover.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dtel said:

It can be but you really need to drink alot of water, my wife and I would mix up 3.5 gallons of Gatorade and drink it in a day with one helper. If you don't drink you will not make it, do it enough and your dead, it can happen pretty quickly. 

Cairo Egypt  , , we had to lay in water baths at night  just to relax , and everybody drank lot's of  lemon juice with rose water -beautiful , but really hot , and crossing the Sinai desert could only be done at night time ----day time was like an oven

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RandyH said:

Cairo Egypt  , , we had to lay in water baths at night  just to relax , and everybody drank lot's of  lemon juice with rose water -beautiful , but really hot , and crossing the Sinai desert could only be done at night time ----day time was like an oven

sounds like you've travelled a lot -- pleasure trips or was it business?

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, RandyH said:

That's a whole other level of heat, tough place to travel.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

That's a whole other level of heat, tough place to travel.

you would like it ----very nice people ,  delicious peanuts , coffee , tea , all the kinds of fruits -it's a country that comes alive when the heat is down , the night scene is fabulous , night clubs , very mellow atmosphere ,   belly dancers ,  we would sleep in the afternoon for a siesta   , and travel in the desert at night by jeeps playing jazz music ---

• Thanks 1