Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

5 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

is that -40` C or  F?

it's the same ---------both fahrenheit and celcius intersect at  minus 40  degrees ----on trips to the Northern parts of Quebec , I've seen -50 celcius or lower -

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KROCK said:

Nothing like Brooklyn, N.Y water!!!!

5 hours ago, dtel said:

Didn't someone bottle it at one time ? I know they did from somewhere you not think would be good.

5 hours ago, RandyH said:

You would need a filter station ,  not a big deal --------

not without filters

5 hours ago, KROCK said:

No SH*T, When I go back there, all I do is drink water from the tap.🤪

Right ------ miles and miles of dirty pipes -like these --------image.jpeg.f01be7b3bc9c70d1bf0cbbaf38dbe869.jpeg

5 hours ago, KROCK said:

Can't fool me, that's a waste pipe.

ok -------there are a lot of lead pipes still out there in NYC ------

https://www.napolilaw.com/article/lead-discovered-in-nyc-housing-authority-buildings/

5 hours ago, Shiva said:

Having lived in upstate New York for a time, they have many lake sized reservoirs of rain water catchments.    Water was great out of the tap there as well.  

🥳  , you can get your water tested  it's relatively inexpensive --

double on that -

ok -2017 article  --NYC 

Map reveals most lead contaminated water fountains at NYC schools

https://www.6sqft.com/map-reveals-most-lead-contaminated-water-fountains-at-nyc-schools/

lead pipe

5 hours ago, KROCK said:

So much for tourism!

then you drink the water

Trout Found in Adirondack Lake Once Soured by Acid Rain

Brook trout have been discovered in a high-elevation Adirondack Mountain lake for the first time since the lake was declared fishless due to acid rain 32 years ago.

By Associated Press, Wire Service ContentOct. 8, 2019

U.S. News & World Report

The Associated Press

This September 2019 photo provided by the New York Department of Environmental Conservation shows a brook trout caught by biologists from a tributary to Lake Colden near Keene, N.Y. In 2019, biologists confirmed a healthy population of brook trout were reproducing in the high altitude lake for the first time since acid rain rendered it unable to support fish 32 years earlier.(NY Department of Environmental Conservation via AP) THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BY MARY ESCH, Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — A reproducing population of brook trout has been discovered in a tiny lake in the Adirondack High Peaks Wilderness for the first time since the lake was declared fishless because of acid rain 32 years ago, New York state officials said.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

then you drink the water

Trout Found in Adirondack Lake Once Soured by Acid Rain

Brook trout have been discovered in a high-elevation Adirondack Mountain lake for the first time since the lake was declared fishless due to acid rain 32 years ago.

By Associated Press, Wire Service ContentOct. 8, 2019

U.S. News & World Report

The Associated Press

This September 2019 photo provided by the New York Department of Environmental Conservation shows a brook trout caught by biologists from a tributary to Lake Colden near Keene, N.Y. In 2019, biologists confirmed a healthy population of brook trout were reproducing in the high altitude lake for the first time since acid rain rendered it unable to support fish 32 years earlier.(NY Department of Environmental Conservation via AP) THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BY MARY ESCH, Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — A reproducing population of brook trout has been discovered in a tiny lake in the Adirondack High Peaks Wilderness for the first time since the lake was declared fishless because of acid rain 32 years ago, New York state officials said.

Thank you -----NY State is recovering from Acid Rain -------great news

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Trout?

Last time I had it it just about filled my plate:lol:

Hope they threw it back!

the fish in the Northern part of NY State are bigger -----Lake Champlain

-IMG_3298.jpg

• Like 4

Nothing like 5 pages of scroll to read.  Whew!  At least I got a haircut last week, scrubs, rain water, lead pipes and a darn rhododendron bush to get rid of here.  Any ideas?  I'm thinking a flame thrower at this point...  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

depends on if you want anything to grow there after the rhododendron...

I have some things growing , I wish I could rid myself of.  Some stuff called Graythorn. Lovely plant/bush.  Every growing end has a hard point. Thorn like a hawthorn. Stout and long. Has another endearing trait... When it blooms, the pollinators it attracts are wasps and flies. Thanks.

it does give edible berries, if you don't mind losing a pint of blood to get them. And they aren't that good to start with.

Anyway.... Cutting it down doesn't work. Can't dig it up.... So, I pruned it into a tree form and sent it up out harms way

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

a darn rhododendron bush to get rid of here.  Any ideas?  I'm thinking a flame thrower at this point...  :)

dig it out and give  it as a gift to someone who like flowers

Moving a Large Rhododendron

• Haha 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

depends on if you want anything to grow there after the rhododendron...

I have some things growing , I wish I could rid myself of.  Some stuff called Graythorn. Lovely plant/bush.  Every growing end has a hard point. Thorn like a hawthorn. Stout and long. Has another endearing trait... When it blooms, the pollinators it attracts are wasps and flies. Thanks.

it does give edible berries, if you don't mind losing a pint of blood to get them. And they aren't that good to start with.

Anyway.... Cutting it down doesn't work. Can't dig it up.... So, I pruned it into a tree form and sent it up out harms way

Easy,  it's summer, wrap them with black plastic and walk away, nothing could live through that heat. In the fall light up the crispy brush.

• Like 4

Too Bad you're not closer @Dave1290 Tried to get them to grow here thirty years ago. Invested in a half dozen white flowered Rhododendrons, figured if they sold them here it would work in this climate zone. Nope, they grow wild in the mountains but not down this far into the foothills. It's too hot here in the summer. I've go to replace the stuff in front of the house now and don't want to spend another dime on this darn yard. 

Acid Rain is very real and what it did up at Mt. Mitchell that I took pictures of in the early 90s was awful as far as I could see towards each of the four or five states you can see from the top. I'll see if I can get a couple from the printer to the pc tomorrow, got to find them first.

• Like 1