Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

I'd need a backhoe!  3 of them about 8' high x 4' in diameter.  Those things just keep spreading.  Nasty!

Wish I lived closer, I made an attachment for the tractor forks which turns them into a large shovel without the work part.

The only drawback is you have to get to it with a tractor, but besides that it works great. In our yard I had a crepe myrtle then 2 azaleas then another crepe  myrtle, this went on for about 1000'  or more along 2 sides of the property . I wanted to change it and put clumping bamboo, so I remover it all digging it up, selling most of it and moving and replanting some of it.

I kept the purple crepe myrtles and planted them around the bar garden, 7 of them and there good size, about 15' tall and 15' wide at the top.

I'm sitting out there now so I took as good a pic as I could with an iPad, but this is a couple of the trees, you can kind of see.

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mornin' All

Been up for too long already

Had several cups of coffee, watered the garden... watched a little tv, scanned the forum...

Oh... somebody bought those CF-2 listed on Phoenix cl... $300 was last listed price.

things should start happening around here ... besides me being up. Boy has to work. Kid is here. Wife is sleeping. Church??? I'm attending my own service. Sunrise with coffee and music. Don't know if wife is going to church or not. She can sleep in and still make it in time.

Wife noticed the cats have been unusually active  in the evening lately and asking why...

Full moon.

Wondering why the swallows are bringing their kids here. We have several more than hatched from this nest roosting there. Do they tend to keep their "family units"? The number trying to nest here is growing. They've been here for 4 or 5 years.. and the cats were here when they set up shop. They commandeered a sparrow nest. Stuccoed it over. Called it theirs.

When I was participating in r/c helicopters... if I flew in the early AM or toward sundown, the swallows would fly around the field too.Good thing they kept out of the way...

I was destined to never be a good pilot. Too slow. Never had good hand/eye... which is why I took up bowling, beekeeping... fishing. Funny thing about me and r/c helis... If I could fly it, it was too easy and I would modify it to make it faster, quicker. On the ragged edge of out of control fast. As a result, I have had some crashes.  Mind you, a "crash" was a landing that resulted in bench time. Landing upside down didn't count as a crash if I could shake things straight and put it back in the air. One day I hit a steel post, filled with cement... to keep cars from driving thru the park "lawn"... Pasted that post a full throttle. Sounded like someone dropped a dozen eggs on the floor.There's a euphemism in r/c.... "re-kit".

frig rambling....

• Like 3

Picked some vitamin packed goodness from the garden this AM: maters and peppers. The onion was purchased. Laid out the fixings for a nice pasta dressing:

-    Queen Creek Olive Mill Extra Virgin olive irl

-         ".         ".         ".       ".   Balsamic & fig reduction

-   Maters and three varieties of chilis

-  onion

-  pot with oregano, irl, garlic powder and balsamic reduction

-  three mostly empty bottles of @oldtimer hot sauce*

*(NOTE: hot sauce not used in this recipe. Placed here to highlight dwindling supply in the hopes of stimulating production)

Ready to begin slicing and dicing

IMG_1046.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grasshopper said:

it's an hour [north/ish] to downtown Tucson from here...don't tempt me [further]....you might have some guy with long white hair and beard [I say gray. Wife sez white] at your door.

sounds like the guy that invented marijuana.

• Haha 3

would give the neighbors something to talk about

... it's the Fuller Bush man

and now for something completely different

listening to StevieWinwood Them Changes.... I have BuddyMiles Them Changes and Band of Gypsy's.  Stevie ... I dunno. Just kinda missed the mark.Maybe if I listen to it more...First version I heard was on  BoG. That will tend to color my opinion.

• Like 4

On 6/6/2020 at 11:48 PM, dtel said:

No way they would grow here either, we have azaleas instead, from the same family. 

& there are only a few flowering anything that I actually like.

We've got a few azalais left around the perimeter "under the pines" before the pines got blown away.

@grasshopper

didn't know just thought they were to look at and block the north wind

• Like 2

Read it in a book.. stupid useless crap I remember

I am familiar with the local honeys. Pulled a hive out of a house in GreenValley. Loaded with eucalyptus honey... Looked like blackstrap... Tasted like tar. Gimme the rhododendron honey please... has to taste better...don't care if it's poison.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Before the woods around here got developed there was honeysuckle everywhere. Still some on the other side of the road from the laboratory / condos that are fragrant when walking or driving by.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Read it in a book.. stupid useless crap I remember

I am familiar with the local honeys. Pulled a hive out of a house in GreenValley. Loaded with eucalyptus honey... Looked like blackstrap... Tasted like tar. Gimme the rhododendron honey please... has to taste better...don't care if it's poison.

I didn't know that about the rhododendron but I should have since azaleas are poisonous and there from the same family. But I had no idea about honey, although since  the whole plant is poisonous it figures.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, JBCODD said:

Now for the slow, agonizing wait for the sauce to mature............

I don't know how that turned out, but I can't possibly see how it could not have been really good, hot probably but good. :emotion-21:

• Like 1