Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I double screwed myself with my back. Got some sunburn while I was playing plumber.

ADVIL  ------worked for me , I am remodeling  the basement   with a   new shower-toilet-sink and new washer/dryer --

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Seems we were talking Bloody Mary's and Minermark's gifts a while back.

that's gonna be a very special Bloody Mary  ---or a few I should say -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyH 000 said:

ADVIL  ------worked for me , I am remodeling  the basement   with a   new shower-toilet-sink and new washer/dryer --

when you finish yours...

Advil....

my back.... it pretty messed up. One vert is visibly moved.... never had an Xray to see for sure what is what..... went to the Dr one time for it... he said, "Get used to it". There are times when my back and hips don't seem to be attached to each other properly. or attached, period.

thanks though

Why I haven't done anything serious about it... back surgery is a very imprecise science. I know folks that ended up with their back totally fused and a titanium rod and still hurt.

was told the success rate on this is a 50% chance of a 25% improvement.... and I will know when I want to take those odds.

for a kicker...

How I wrecked my back

I was flying a frig kite. A regular ol' kite. not one for kite surfing

• Sad 3

20 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Isn't that where he fell off that ladder???  Oh yea, I see what you're doin there.   You sly dawg you!  😂

uh huh... off the top of the left eye socket. it was just waiting for me...

oh... this job was full of learning opportunities.

cold [looking] welds still sizzle when you grab one.

when I look at the jobs I did, there was always an element of danger. Never had a desk job. First problem with that, I hate paperwork.

I did have one desk job and it didn't involve paperwork. I worked for Bell Aerospace. Stop laughing.... "We" were [in hindsight] testing digital com..  They needed some monkeys that could read to punch a button if they could guess the word with various interferences... That was my job.

I learned that you can daydream in less than 4 seconds... They were shooting words at us on 2 sec intervals... then switched to 4 sec. You can respond and think about after work before the 4 secs is up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I worked for Bell Aerospace

Scared me for a second. :o

Don't feel bad we live about 5 miles from Steins Space center, not once have they called me, I have some good ideas about what they can shoot up in space or blow up, either way I got it covered.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, dtel said:

Don't feel bad we live about 5 miles from Steins Space center, not once have they called me, I have some good ideas about what they can shoot up in space or blow up, either way I got it covered.

you're better off not going into such a facility ,when the plant systems are down , the entire process becomes very unstable

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, grasshopper said:

when you finish yours...

Advil....

my back.... it pretty messed up. One vert is visibly moved.... never had an Xray to see for sure what is what..... went to the Dr one time for it... he said, "Get used to it". There are times when my back and hips don't seem to be attached to each other properly. or attached, period.

thanks though

Why I haven't done anything serious about it... back surgery is a very imprecise science. I know folks that ended up with their back totally fused and a titanium rod and still hurt.

was told the success rate on this is a 50% chance of a 25% improvement.... and I will know when I want to take those odds.

All the doctors can do is line up the bones and add metal splints to hopefully keep them in line.  You know, like when you have a small plant with a broken stem and you place a popsicle stick into the soil beside it, secure it with twist-ties and hope for the best.

Doctors and scientists have not yet learned how to repair the spinal cord.  I think the solution will not be a mechanical repair, but instead something that will cause regrowth to occur.  There’s also the concept of installing a tiny bridge/scaffold that will support the spinal cord as it somehow grows across the gap between the side that still connects to the brain and the side that does not.

As for orthopedic surgeons, I know mechanics and carpenters who work to finer tolerances.  Ask anyone who’s had a broken femur if the legs are both the same length after the surgery.  It’s very unlikely.  Frank Zappa even mentioned that about the repairs to the leg that he broke when a “fan” pushed him off the stage, causing him to fall 20 feet onto the concrete floor of the orchestra pit of the music hall where the Mothers were playing.  In the song DancinFool, Frank sang that:

”I don’t know much about dancin’, 

That’s why I got this song,

One of my legs is is shorter than the other, 

And both my feets too long!”

I don’t know about Frank’s shoe size, but the leg complaint was genuine.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, dtel said:

What could go wrong, rednecks and rocket engines. :unsure:

rocket scientists ---------when internet is down  , their brains go blank   ,and I hate babysitting -

The Incomparable | Science Is Never Frightening! (Episode 294)

• Haha 3

Mornin' All

Had my chuckle for the AM. Bouncy [Beyonce] is a deep state operative. 

Finished the leftovers and into fresh coffee.

the day is starting nice. mid 60's. Gonna be another warm  one. Prospects of rain are slim and 100`+ good. The humidity bumped enough to notice. Thanks?!?

Wife goes in for her other eye this week...Wed. She sailed thru the first one and doing well.   We hope #2 is as easy. 

Saw news from the ol' stomping grounds made national news. Big party at DiamondLake in Cass Co, MI on the 4th. My BIL has a house on that lake... Not far from Elkhart...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dtel said:

I have gotten 2 "Sorry, wrong number" calls from Raytheon... That scares me. Next time, I am going to ask what I can do for them.  Believe it or don't, I have some knowledge of robotics in aerial craft.  I know they pay good and I don't need to know what I'm building is for. Don't wanna.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Had a bad idea for the 4th... there's a surprise

Back when I was a kid... carbide cannons

The thought of slapping a couple 55gal drums end to end...one open on both ends... for a barrel.  a little gasoline....

Hold my beer

My favorite was Oxygen, and acetylene or just as good Propane. Plenty of noise in a small package.

37 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Wife goes in for her other eye this week...Wed. She sailed thru the first one and doing well.   We hope #2 is as easy. 

Tell her good luck, ask her to try to get a patch this time, no patch took all the fun out of it for us.

So can she see better out of that one eye ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dtel said:

So can she see better out of that one eye ?

Way better. She said that before was like wearing sunglasses indoors. She drove herself to Tucson and back Fri/Sat.

...yeah, oxy and acetylene in a grocery bag will make a helluva pop. Calcium carbide give off acetylene when you add water. We used it to launch coffee cans into "space"... Can't do that anymore. Coffee cans don't open with a key.

• Haha 2

• Moderators

Well she is going to love both eyes better, plus she can keep a better watch on you. 

Might want to trim your beard and look a little better when she comes back next time. :unsure: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1