Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

33 minutes ago, NADman said:

What did you call yourself before you were a christian man?

A man that didn't feel accountable to anyone and lived to do whatever he wanted and to please himself. 

oh, I still had a lot of friends and was basically a nice guy; but there was only one person on the throne of my life and it was me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

quick question ,  how are these stored in the winter ----------------

They are all hauled out of the water with large hydraulically actuated trailers, parked in large lots (parking lots in the summer).

Every water line, water heater etc has to be drained. They have to be heated-to some degree- because of the high humidity. It doesn't

get very cold but Sicamous BC has a huge snowfall in winter so a lot of kids-etc get hired to keep the heavy, wet snow off of them.

24+ inches of snow in a day is not uncommon.

4 minutes ago, NADman said:

They are all hauled out of the water with large hydraulically actuated trailers, parked in large lots (parking lots in the summer).

Every water line, water heater etc has to be drained. They have to be heated-to some degree- because of the high humidity. It doesn't

get very cold but Sicamous BC has a huge snowfall in winter so a lot of kids-etc get hired to keep the heavy, wet snow off of them.

24+ inches of snow in a day is not uncommon.

Beautiful house-boats  ------

Boat is an acronym for Bust Out Another Thousand [$]

Finally got spot to run, for a moment. See spot run...

until it finds a fire hydrant

Had to reload firefox... in the process I lost my email... Wrestled it back to function

I hate computers!!!!!!  I am happy for music

I honestly think we were better off/happier w/o everyone online and being a little less informed, if you call all the bs "informed".

I'll stop my rant right there

If we get any precip, it gonna be later in the day. Clouds burned off and it got warm. Wife succumbed and dipped in the "pool". She's doing OK. A little out of sorts...I am biting my tongue every now and then...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NADman said:

BC has a huge snowfall in winter so a lot of kids-etc get hired to keep the heavy, wet snow off of them.

I worked at an RV factory in Elkhart for a while. I had to drag units into the paint shop to work in the winter.  Would need to clear snow off the roofs before bringing them in.  On day, had most of one cleaned up, just a film of water left.... and I started sliding toward the edge. Very very slowly.... Couldn't stop and was afraid to make much of a move because it was so slick.... Ever get the feeling you are going to get hurt in the next 30 seconds... see it coming... and can't stop it from happening?

I did get off that roof safer as opposed to sooner.... the death in slow motion is still with me.

• Like 2

oh

when I was headed out to pick the wife up, Firefighters camped all over the place. The park was full. The parking lot on the wildlife refuge was full, too. These folk actually camp. Self contained.  Fine way to spend the night after bustin' yer butt in a fire all day. They're working the Fresnal Fire about 8 miles from town. I kinda suspect many of them got reassigned from the Bighorn Fire on the mts north of Tucson. That one is winding up. 80% contained... 120,000 acres.

had given thought to tagging up with wife's secretary [her alter-ego cheffed  several restaurants] and feeding a bunch, using the big/ger kitchen at The Old Schoolhouse/Park.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

There are BUCKS and BOATS of dollars flowing with the firefighting efforts, year after year after year.  The firefighting budget threatens to wipe out the rest of public forestry funding...oh what to do? It is a good thing the public officials have a handle on it all (HA!).

From your sig, if you get down this way, you must give Arivaca Lake a try. Don't need a fancy bass rig... a row boat works fine... It's a small "lake". It's more of a cattle tank that holds some big bass.  I've pulled a couple  6lb+ out, while fishing for bluegill [on 4lb test].

Pima County is one of the largest counties in the nation, and it got pared down. Used to be [pretty much] all of the land from the GadsdenPurchase in AZ... and I think it has one fishable non-urban lake.  Ours.

No rain last night. Barely a sprinkle... got one helluva light show. Trying to get some outdoor stuff done before it get hot.   That's a pretty narrow window. Between the time it is light enough to see and when the sun makes its appearance. Y'all are prolly gonna get tired of hearing me yammer on about rain... but that is our excitement during the summer. Actual weather. Even clouds are a welcome change from oppressively sunny. We hit the magic 54` dew point. Still under 20% r/h.

• Like 1

the Bighorn fire pretty much burned itself out. In spite the firefighters efforts, there are but a few places [transmitters and homes] in the SantaCatalinaMts that didn't burn. It turned from a forest fire to a brush fire  as the mountains all burned.  I stretch it a little... but, more truth than fiction.

Was laughing at our one kitten. Not really kittens any more... Was emptying and refilling the kiddie pool. While filling it with the garden hose, she was biting the stream of water, like a dog does...

Nothing wrong with my cats... they're just crazy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Ours fell off after years being held by liquid nails.  This time I used good old construction adhesive.

On this one I took off the hurricane straps and hinges and put the insulation behind them. No tape or glue. I did all separate panels on mine, this turned into more pia. We have a refrigerator and freezer in this one pumping out heat.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Ours fell off after years being held by liquid nails.  This time I used good old construction adhesive.

we insulate for the cold , you insulate for the heat - is there a middle ground , northern California maybe

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, USNRET said:

Sipping a rum and o.j. after working to insulate the wife’s garage door.

That insulation works well, it was developed by NASA.

Used in the workshop on the roof and anywhere the sun could hit the metal exterior. It's very low in R value but very high in reflective value.

https://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/technologies/silver_insulation.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyH 000 said:

we insulate for the cold , you insulate for the heat - is there a middle ground , northern California maybe

NEVER used my heater in Huntington Beach. Did turn on the A/C occasionally just to break the heat in the house some. But, one can easily live there and never use either. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

NEVER used my heater in Huntington Beach. Did turn on the A/C occasionally just to break the heat in the house some. But, one can easily live there and never use either. 

thank you , I will make a point of checking it next time I hit LA --------tx Steve

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

NEVER

Well this is for you, the cooking master. :o

Wife used huge roasting pot to make a beef roast, potatoes, carrots and onions and whatever else she put in it ? It's good 

image.jpeg

• Like 8