Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, billybob said:

Sunstroke and Heat prostration are always a risk, regardless of age.

Plan work outside 

with caution.

Got bearcaught in Atlanta when 18 y/o just watching a rock festival.

Salt tablets and shade with fluids.

True, done it many times, mostly just slightly, it feels worse then the flu, you feel like your dying and can.

Stop and cool off, and drink plenty water or 'some sports" drinks, some are not so good for you they say. When we did landscaping we mixed 3 gallons of gator aid or something similar and would finish it in a day, just 2 of us. 

Low humidity can fool you, it's just as bad to get dehydrated.  

40 years ago when I was a ship fitter we would sweat so much working in ships when you come out for a break they had salt tablet dispensers by the water cooler. Take a couple tablets cool off and go again, the tablets revived you it felt like. You clothes would be white from the salt from sweating. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, billybob said:

Sunstroke and Heat prostration are always a risk, regardless of age.

Plan work outside 

with caution.

Spent most of the day yesterday working on the outside of my garage.  Heat index hit 121 and actual hit about 104.  I took regular water and cooling off breaks maybe one every hour to hour and a half in the afternoon.  Gotta be careful.

• Like 2

Yes whatever works in temps some are seeing. Just about over did it a couple of times recently.

Got to know when you say when.

Mom would prewash my dad's work clothes. Salt was definitely

visible. Gatorade does seem to replace and quenches thirst. Hot places y'all mention, for sure.

A couple years ago a storm blew through leaving large limbs to cut down and haul away, two truck loads. 90 degrees and humidity was stifling, working my azz off for 4-5 hours and it took its toll. By the time we got to the drop point and waited to drop the limbs I was chilling and dizzy, literally having to hold on to the side of the truck so not to fall. Dizzy and didn’t feel right for 2-3 days after. I do think I had heat stroke and my Practitioner daughter confirmed it, said it could have killed me. Sixty five Y O at the time and trying to work like I was 35. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, richieb said:

Dizzy and didn’t feel right for 2-3 days after.

Yes it last a while, it does not end because you hydrate again,  it takes days. It's really much worse than what people realize, but if you have ever did it or came close you can imagine how bad it is.

• Like 1

I got it bad once. It was the hottest day ever recorded in Tucson. I was on the lake and still got cooked. Drank a bunch of room temp water when I got home....then took a nap.... woke with the worst "hangover" ever. All the classic symptoms. Sick to my stomach and a monster headache ....

• Like 2

One of the worst heat issues I ever had was when I was building a roof for an addition I built.  I drank water constantly throughout the day, so much that I had my wife bringing me refills hourly.  That evening I hit the couch and could barely move.  I can never remember being so drained and weak.  I had drank so much water and sweated so much that my sodium must have bottomed out.  Once I started eating salty foods (chips, ramen noodles, etc) I started feeling better.  Prior to that I was wondering if this is what dieing feels like.  It was horrible.

When we were building that cow skull, we spent as much time indoors drinking  as working. 

---------------------------

was listening to Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Alan Parsons....

Either my memory is toast or they changed a bunch of solos ... I have it on vinyl and presume it has been remastered on spot.  Like watching different cut of a movie... "Hold it. I don't remember that"

• Like 2

I've done roofing in the summer. We did a dome. Worked in the shade as much as possible, until the ladders started scarring the shingles.  That was a "fun" job trying to keep the courses level when you couldn't really snap a chalk line... before laser levels.

Done a lot of fun things in the summer... like sandblasting a couple swimming pools. That was just more fun that you can imagine. Kinda amazing my lungs aren't worse...

Fixing a sewage processor at a campground. I hesitate to call it a sewage plant. Took a bunch of sand and the sludge pump couldn't pick it up... so, we baled it out. The poor bugger filling the buckets at the bottom of the 8ft deep tank....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I've done roofing in the summer. We did a dome. Worked in the shade as much as possible, until the ladders started scarring the shingles.  That was a "fun" job trying to keep the courses level when you couldn't really snap a chalk line... before laser levels.

I been on roofs when it was so hot the asphalt shingles were melting under our feet. Also been on those old aluminum roofs that were on mobile homes years ago ... so darn hot you couldn't touch them -- and forgot about going up there without sunglasses -- bright!!!!

• Like 1

I have to go up the roof regularly thru the winter to clean the chimney. It's plenty bright. Even with sunglasses , I can't see when I get down.

You don't see motorcycles parked on asphalt here. I made that mistake. The kickstand sinks into the black goo.

Sun finally came out. Wonder if it will stir some storms? We already got rain this AM. That negates our chance for rain. Forecast said 20% and it's done that...

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, hootriks said:

I'm not a coffee expert by any means but I do enjoy a good cup of Joe. I generally have a 16oz mug every morning, 8oz. on the way to the gym at 6am, and the other 8oz. when I hit my desk around 8am. I probably drink more most weekend mornings.

Welcome to the forum and to CC&C in particular.  No specific subjects here so talk about whatever is on your mind.

• Like 2

Dieting......again.  Saturday weigh in I was at a 9 year high of 200.5.  I'm 6'2" tall.   Jeans were too tight to be comfortable.  Went into Atkins mode and weigh in this morning was 195 even.  188 would be okay so plugging away with very little carbs for a week or so more.

Think it has to do with being quarantined and too many Old Fashions and Slushies.  Limiting myself to one drink at cocktail hour.  Skipped alcohol yesterday.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hootriks said:

I'm not a coffee expert by any means but I do enjoy a good cup of Joe. I generally have a 16oz mug every morning, 8oz. on the way to the gym at 6am, and the other 8oz. when I hit my desk around 8am. I probably drink more most weekend mornings.

You may fit right in. Experts here are few and far between - opinions flourish — 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1