Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 hours ago, dtel said:

You gotta watch him he's slick. :lol:

Been decades since I've heard that Elden, won't go into details but I've heard it before!

That gorilla logo looks like what's on the tape enough, and heck I've seen bath mats at amazon made by Gorilla too!

10, 15 or 20 feet extended too, looks like different hinges that the ones thirty years ago that would slice and dice your fingers if you didn't take heed of them.

• Haha 1

• Moderators

I think it's 23' extended, but I already have a 20' regular extension so whatever one seems more sturdy. Also have a 12' A type ladder, it's aluminum and old but it's OK. The problem with that one is wherever you put it has to be over 12" and when open the legs are about 6' across so it does not fit many places, like in some places in the building I am going to put together.

Your right you have to be careful, some types will cut off a finger if you have it in the wrong place. I use to have a 6' but it collapsed on me one day and I hit the ground, I remember that every time I am any higher gravity always wins. I think about that whenever up high, buy a good ladder,  because the sudden stop hurts.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yep and it sounds like you know to wobble the feet a little wherever you set it to make sure you have good contact, also level as you can get it. Heavy can be good sometimes. Don't ever loan it... a ladder is the worst most expensive tool to loan and most folks don't care to know how to take care of them.

Ever use a 36 footer after a dummy just dropped it on the ground from being stood up? They warp if abused then you have to adjust yourself for that!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Remember my limited adventure

On a 40 foot ext. ladder. Me and another tech going to the flat roof of our business to check out tweak

our Gilat system. Gave me no encouragement to see him taking a healthy swig of peppermint schnapps first. We lived...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Toasty in Phoenix this week: 115 yesterday, 118 today. Shoot, the sun is down now, and a warm breeze is blowing at 110. Ahhhhhhh, blessed relief. Makes me appreciate spending last week in Colorado Springs fixing my daughters deck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Don't ever loan it... a ladder is the worst most expensive tool to loan and most folks don't care to know how to take care of them.

I don't loan tools anymore, problem is I forget who I loaned them to and they don't always remember to return them. Last time a neighbor who is a nice guy wanted to borrow a gas 2'' trash pump to pump out his swimming pool. He is a nice guy but not to bright so I said I will just come pump it out for you, so I did. I couldn't trust him to not run it dry which burns up the bushing/seal which is a pain to replace.  

6 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Ever use a 36 footer after a dummy just dropped it on the ground from being stood up? They warp if abused then you have to adjust yourself for that!!

I would have lost a grip on him. about 15 years ago I had a 30' or more I can't remember exactly and another neighbor borrowed it to work on his barn, well he fell off of it and broke his arm ribs pretty bad, he was lucky. I never asked for it back and we ended up not talking later, mostly because of his wife, she went off the deep end which was a short trip for her.

6 hours ago, billybob said:

Remember my limited adventure

On a 40 foot ext. ladder. Me and another tech going to the flat roof of our business to check out tweak

our Gilat system. Gave me no encouragement to see him taking a healthy swig of peppermint schnapps first. We lived...

I am not scared of heights, when I did electrical work I climbed towers 500-600 feet. But I would not want to use a 40' extension ladder, NO safety connections to catch you if you fall, at all,  nothing.  And 40' is plenty enough to cause serious damage at any age.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JBCODD said:

Toasty in Phoenix this week: 115 yesterday, 118 today. Shoot, the sun is down now, and a warm breeze is blowing at 110. Ahhhhhhh, blessed relief. Makes me appreciate spending last week in Colorado Springs fixing my daughters deck.

I couldn't take it, it's 80 right now here at 2:35 am and it got to 91 earlier. 

Yes I say up late, bad habit, but no reason to get up early either. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 10:57 AM, RandyH000 said:

, last year , we're out in the woods further out of Quebec City  ,I  heard  thumping in the ground , and you could feel  the earth vibrating , 30 seconds  later , a  Moose came out  of the forest like out of thin air  at full speed  , all I could do was get out of his way before he ran me over ,  all he was doing was having fun plowing   through the woods   I think I would have been less scared if it was a black bear -

A buddy of mine who lives in Edmonton told me about his friend’s encounter with a bear.  He was in the woods, where you often find bears, and was surprised to see a big grizzly only about 30 feet from him.  He thought he was prepared, because he had a bear banger with him.  They make a really loud noise (may have a shot shell inside), which is supposed to scare away the bear.  However, he hadn’t read the Instructions For Use.

The right way to use a bear banger is to aim it straight up.  It will explode above you, and hopefully scare the bear away.  This guy, not knowing any better, thought it would be most effective if he aimed it at the bear.  Big mistake!  The bear banger flew past the bear and went off behind it with a mighty BANG!  That scared the bear all right. It came charging toward the guy, and he had to leap out of the way to avoid being trampled.  Then he was about as scared as the bear had been.

That was years ago, but I heard on the TV news about something very similar happening last week.  Read the directions, guys!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, JBCODD said:

We're not bragging on our weather right now... it a little uncomfortable

we do not have an A/C or even a swamp box.... which won't work with what humidity we have. It's not real high. Doesn't take high r/h to stop a swamp box from doing anything appreciable.

5 hours ago, dtel said:

I don't loan tools anymore,

I don't borrow tools. Seems that every time I borrow something, it breaks and I end up buying one for the person I borrowed it from. I skip the middleman, now, and just buy what I need. Get a warrantee too. 

.... and, if I needed it once, I'll need it again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dtel said:

I don't loan tools anymore

I have a router that I keep in a case and have had it for years.  Up till a project a couple months ago I couldn't remember the last time I used it.  The bits for the router (maybe 12 to 15) have always been kept in a bag in the router case.  I've never put them anywhere else as there's a space in the case to store them.  When I needed to use the router for my most recent project there were no bits in the case.  I looked for them for 2 days until I gave up and bought more.  I'm certain I loaned them to someone but can't for the life of me remember who.  In the past when I loaned something out I'd leave a note for myself but this time I didn't for some reason.  My mistake.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Router bits can get expensive fast, what you did with your router I have done many times with tools and I can never remember who had them.

The last bit I bought was $40, after buying my first one a long time ago I realized do not buy the cheap ones it's a waste of money. My routers are really old both of them, no plunge design, set them and that's it, maby I will get a better one one day, when I need it for something. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dtel said:

higher gravity always wins. I think about that whenever up high, buy a good ladder,  because the sudden stop hurts.

if you fall from a high ladder ----first lesson is always kick the ladder away from your falling trajectory  ---2) never , never hook up to a ladder  3)  make sure there is grass underneath -----🙃

• Haha 2

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

-first lesson is always kick the ladder away from your falling trajectory 

When that 6' ladder broke under me, I felt it going, looked down and fell right on it, nothing happened I was lucky. One of the smaller opposite side legs folded up which broke the other and it was gone, small fiberglass legs just splintered it was old. It was not high but it does wake you up in a hurry. It was grass you don't think of it a cushion but it really helps. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

When that 6' ladder broke under me, I felt it going, looked down and fell right on it, nothing happened I was lucky. One of the smaller opposite side legs folded up which broke the other and it was gone, small fiberglass legs just splintered it was old. It was not high but it does wake you up in a hurry. It was grass you don't think of it a cushion but it really helps. 

I took a fall from a 30+ feet  ladder  at about 30  feet of height  while cutting trees ------she wobbled  at the top - I kicked it  away and landed on 2 legs , on uneven grass ,  a very heavy squat ,   the energy is so strong , you hear every vertebrae lock  , the last one locks up your teeth --   the lesson ,  power lifting helps-

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I took a fall from a 30+ feet  ladder  at about 30  feet of height

Long story but I fell once as well. I was in a tree at the very top of an extension ladder.  Limb swung and took the ladder out from under me.  My heels hit the ground first then my tailbone.  It knocked the wind out of me and I suffered a compression fracture in a vertebrae right below my neck.  Doc said that the energy was transferred up my spine similar to a row of pool balls.  Hit the one in the back and the one in front rolls.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I suffered a compression fracture in a vertebrae right below my neck.  Doc said that the energy was transferred up my spine similar to a row of pool balls.  Hit the one in the back and the one in front rolls.

-lucky man ----Godspeed ---

18 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

-lucky man ----Godspeed ---

It happened at my church during a spring clean up.  I don't think I was lucky rather was watched over.  It could have been MUCH worse.  I just missed somebody when I hit the ground and the chain saw I jettisoned just missed someone else.

• Like 3