Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I have a router that I keep in a case and have had it for years.  Up till a project a couple months ago I couldn't remember the last time I used it.  The bits for the router (maybe 12 to 15) have always been kept in a bag in the router case.  I've never put them anywhere else as there's a space in the case to store them.  When I needed to use the router for my most recent project there were no bits in the case.  I looked for them for 2 days until I gave up and bought more.  I'm certain I loaned them to someone but can't for the life of me remember who.  In the past when I loaned something out I'd leave a note for myself but this time I didn't for some reason.  My mistake.

Im not sure I ever thanked you for letting me borrow the router bit(s)  - Thanks Carl. They work great —

• Haha 1

It's official:July 2020 is the hottest month ever recorded in the Phoenix area. Overall average temp of 99 degrees.

NOTE: This is not the average high temp, but the average temp, 24/7 for 31 days. Thank goodness for kayaks and the Salt River.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It happened at my church during a spring clean up.  I don't think I was lucky rather was watched over.  It could have been MUCH worse.  I just missed somebody when I hit the ground and the chain saw I jettisoned just missed someone else.

I know exactly how you feel ,  some lose their abilities to walk , from such events , the chainsaw is a very dangerous tool in any case ,  I am trying not to say anything religious , but , why not , there are exceptions to the Rule , yes , you were Watched Over , and I Thank the Lord

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the chainsaw is a very dangerous tool in any case

I had cut the limb and the end of the limb was resting on the ground.  I pushed the cut end of the limb away from the tree so it would fall to the ground but instead it swung around the trunk and swiped the ladder out from under me.

27 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I had cut the limb and the end of the limb was resting on the ground.  I pushed the cut end of the limb away from the tree so it would fall to the ground but instead it swung around the trunk and swiped the ladder out from under me.

right   ,it turned  by pivoting on the ground ,   and like a ricochet , it swung back towards you with all it's weight  knocking  out the ladder  and yourself ,  nothing you could do but get a good wack  , that must have hurt , something unreal ,  I  bet you , they had to give you something for the pain  -

55 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

It's official:July 2020 is the hottest month ever recorded in the Phoenix area. Overall average temp of 99 degrees.

NOTE: This is not the average high temp, but the average temp, 24/7 for 31 days. Thank goodness for kayaks and the Salt River.....

you gotta talk to @billybob,  Lightning took  out his AC  , but he's the Man , he got it up and running again --------👌

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I  bet you , they had to give you something for the pain 

Yes, a broken back hurts, LOL.  I drove myself home from church but before I could make it all the way I had to have my son turn the steering wheel for me as I couldn't lift my arms.  Getting on and off the x-ray table was a beaatch even with pain meds.  X-ray tech asked "have you broken your back in the past"?  Nope.  "Well you have now".  They drilled 2 holes in the vertebrae, inserted surgical balloons and inflated them to expand it somewhat back into shape then filled it with cement.  It's similar to what they do for osteoporosis.   I was jogging after 2 weeks and playing soccer again in 8 weeks.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes, a broken back hurts, LOL.  I drove myself home from church but before I could make it all the way I had to have my son turn the steering wheel for me as I couldn't lift my arms. 

in my case the Doctor was a Beautiful  Blonde ,  absolutely a NO 10-----   5 foot 10-  36-bust 28 waist gorgeous  ---she said , you dont mind if I strip you , I said , no problem , go right ahead ------can I give you a shot to make you feel better , I said ,   it's getting better and better --whatever you do , dont' stop

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

in my case the Doctor was a Beautiful  Blonde ,  absolutely a NO 10-----   5 foot 10-  36-bust 28 waist gorgeous  ---she said , you dont mind if I strip you , I said , no problem , go right ahead ------can I give you a shot to make you feel better , I said ,   it's getting better and better --whatever you do , dont' stop

Always carry a tape measure to a doctor's office, too bad you missed the bottom measurement. Never say no to a shot of booze.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, billybob said:

Always carry a tape measure to a doctor's office, too bad you missed the bottom measurement. Never say no to a shot of booze.

the bottom measurement was just as good as the top

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JBCODD said:

Tucson had 5 days at or below normal... The rest were 5 -15` above average.  Been a hot summer... dry, too.

We have a boat shaped kiddie pool and a hose to fill it. I cleaned the "pool" today. Bleach, scrub and refill. Laid it it afterwards... The tap water was lukewarm and not refreshing. Didn't notice being wet until I got out. Was like sitting in the bathtub.

Internet went down for several hours, after a we suffered a couple of quick brown downs.  Not typical of things. Used to the electricity flickering, then going one way or the other.

... and the powers that be want us to rely on the internet.

on the news

talking about sanitizing things

I heard that we can sanitize our masks using the car as an autoclave. 150` for a half hour [or something like that] will kill it. And "they" suggested it.  "They" may have changed their mind/s, but....

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Long story but I fell once as well. I was in a tree at the very top of an extension ladder.  Limb swung and took the ladder out from under me.  My heels hit the ground first then my tailbone.  It knocked the wind out of me and I suffered a compression fracture in a vertebrae right below my neck.  Doc said that the energy was transferred up my spine similar to a row of pool balls.  Hit the one in the back and the one in front rolls.

That could have been SO much worse, to the point of being a life-changing injury.  Back in the ‘90s, after decades of riding my motorbike too fast, my luck finally ran out, and I crashed really hard.  I received a compression burst fracture in my lower back (the lower lumbar region), and one vertebra was shifted to one side by roughly half its diameter.  That’s how it looked on the X-ray, but I didn’t have a ruler handy to get a precise measure of the displacement.

The effect was like what happens when some people are sitting on sections of a steel cable fence.  When another person sits on the fence, he pulls it down and everybody else gets pulled up.  With the spinal cord, when one vertebra gets knocked out of position, it tugs on the spinal cord, which is much weaker than a steel cable.  This means that it gets stretched, and the nerve damage can happen a few vertebrae away.

Since we don’t yet have the technology to restore the spinal cord, the orthopedic surgeon just pushes the displaced vertebra back into position and adds support in the form of bolted-on titanium rods, one on each side, in a size very similar in length and width to a ballpoint pen.  It’s like what you do if you have a small plant that gets hit or knocked over, and gets its little stem (its future trunk) broken.  All you do is hold it straight, poke a Pop-Sicle stick into the soil beside it, and tie the stem to it with a twist-tie or two.  Then you hope it will get better.

Humans are much more complex than little plants, so an injured spinal cord does not get better.  That’s contrary to our usual experience with injuries, so it can take a few years for it to sink in that you won’t get any better.  Now, I can walk a short distance with the help of two canes, but I’m on wheels most of the time.  I have ridden small bikes since, off the road in camping areas and a parking lot.  Two years ago, I took my nephew’s 50cc scooter out for a short ride on the local roads.  Both brakes were on the handlebars, and it had a twist-‘n-go transmission, so feet were not required, except to hold up the scoot at a stop.

It was fun, and you could see my grin, even while wearing a full-coverage helmet, an Arai Signet.  However, my time and money now goes into my stereo.  It still has Yamaha power, and it’s much cheaper to run.  Instead of 1000cc, I’ve got 1000 watts of power, times two.  Lots of headroom.  No big insurance premium every year, and no expensive tires to buy.  The bike used two rears and one front tire every season, which adds up.  Of course, there are the upgrades and updates to the stereo every year, which may cost as much as a few tires.  However, the stereo is fun in all weather, and it can please and amaze more than two people at a time.  So I’m doing okay

So that’s my story.  Protect your spinal cord.  Spinal cord injuries (SCI) are forever.  It’s worst at first, due to the swelling that accompanies the injury.  It takes 12-18 months before the swelling is completely gone, and during that period, the improvements come along, week by week and month by month.  Then you reach the final plateau, when the improvements stop.  You keep hoping that there will be more improvements, but nope, that’s it.

So you learn to deal with it.  I’m not grumbling, but I wish I hadn’t ridden that fast that day.  Just think about my injury when you get ready to do something that could be really dangerous. You might really change your life, and not in a good way.

Anyway, no pity needed.  I’m just another Klipsch fan, not to be confused with other fans who use that term as their handle.  I’ve sometimes referred lately to the system as my happiness machine.  I turn it on, and it turns me on.  Happy listening, everyone!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Islander said:

That could have been SO much worse, to the point of being a life-changing injury.  Back in the ‘90s, after decades of riding my motorbike too fast, my luck finally ran out, and I crashed really hard.

what  Yamaha  model was the bike --------like an FJ  or  the R1 ---------

30 minutes ago, Islander said:

That’s contrary to our usual experience with injuries, so it can take a few years for it to sink in that you won’t get any better.

I went to the Dr one time about my back...

he said, "Get used to it".

So, I don't bother complaining about it to him. 

I do as much as I can, the hard way...  part of why the push mower and whip sickle. . If I don't work it, it gets worse faster.

Talked to an old friend today. Been years since I have talked to her. Known her since I was a kid. 

Been thinking about how relationships change. She is a friend's mother.  Since I have known her for over 50 years, she is no longer Bob's mom... she is Pat.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

105 degrees today. Man it was hot. Spent the day helping clear the brush on the perimeter of my property. Getting ready to put up a fence. Tomorrow should finish up the cutting. Still will need to do a lot of chipping the cut brush.

• Like 3