Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

6 hours ago, dtel said:

Dang hippies...........well I do have some affiliation, but not with that picture.

RandyH000, better be careful up there on that ladder.

Thanks   -------I've got trees to trim , at our office , they are over 6 stories high --I will be renting one of these

Asplundh Tree Expert Co. Taps Freightliner Trucks for Business ...

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Thanks   -------I've got trees to trim , at our office , they are over 6 stories high --I will be renting one of these

That picture made me laugh, last time we went by Jim Hunters house he showed me a old bucket truck he bought to fix up to keep around just to trim trees, it was about that size almost exactly, large.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dtel said:

That picture made me laugh, last time we went by Jim Hunters house he showed me a old bucket truck he bought to fix up to keep around just to trim trees, it was about that size almost exactly, large.  

renting these trucks is unreally expensive  ----Jim did a good thing --------I am waiting for a government auction in September -they come up from  time to time ----

• Moderators

I think he did buy it at a auction, it needs alot of work but they are built to last and very heavy duty. Looking at his tools/workshop and some of the things he has done I have no doubt it will be working. I don't remember what he paid for it but i would guess not more than a week or two in rental ?

Jim was the historian for Kilpsch and now for the museum, he is also a collector of stuff, all kinds of stuff, from small to large and especially anything old.

He's quite the character, the old hippie.

• Like 3

Right out of college (1972) I went to California with everything I owned in the trunk of my 68' Mustang.  Stayed with two buddies from my home town who had relocated to Anaheim and gotten radicalized.  One was waiting to go to court on a marijuana bust.  Seems the neighbors had complained about trash in their back yard and the cops came by to check it out.  They walked right through a nice little plot of weed and didn't say a word.  A week or so later a helicopter spotted the "crop" from the air and called it in😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Slept in until 8am today, my second visit every day is to turn out the back porch light then onto the coffee pot. Was getting stuff together had the water, ground the beans, dumped the hot out of the preheated pot. The whole house creaked and popped like it was alive, breathing and stretching, looked outside no 50mph wind coming through here. Neighbor texted and asked if she had lost it or did her house just move! It was a 5.1 at 8:07 up towards the Appalachians. Uncle that lives over a hundred miles closer said it was like his home was under a train trestle and one just went over it.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?currentFeatureId=se60324281&extent=20.38583,-125.06836&extent=52.82932,-64.90723

• Like 5

Over in Manitoba, a really big tornado went through a farming area near the town of Virden yesterday.  It blew over some big silos, and tragically picked up a couple of vehicles.  One flew about a kilometre before it landed, and the 18-year-old young man and young woman in it were ejected from the pickup truck and killed.  The truck was kind of folded up, so seatbelts might not have helped in this case.

A 54-year-old man made out somewhat better.  His Jeep Grand Cherokee was picked up and flown for an unspecified distance, then landed upside down in another field.  A rescuer passing by thought he should see if there might be anyone inside, and sure enough, he heard a call for help.  The man is now in hospital with serious injuries, but at least he’s alive.

There were a number of storm chasers following the big cloud to see if it would touch down, and it sure did.  Not for long, but long enough to hit three families hard.  The storm chasers, plus some locals, got good video of the storm, and it was scary big.

Here's some national news coverage:  https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/two-dead-one-injured-after-tornado-rips-by-virden-man-friday-evening-1.5056553

BTW, 190 km/hr is 118 mph, so that's a twister with a fair bit of energy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

• Moderators

I'm glad we have hurricanes at least we have a warning, with a tornado you have little or no time. 

118 mph is not that bad, the problem is it's in a very tight space all the way to the ground and leaves almost nothing left where it passes.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Right out of college (1972) I went to California with everything I owned in the trunk of my 68' Mustang.  Stayed with two buddies from my home town who had relocated to Anaheim and gotten radicalized.  One was waiting to go to court on a marijuana bust.  Seems the neighbors had complained about trash in their back yard and the cops came by to check it out.  They walked right through a nice little plot of weed and didn't say a word.  A week or so later a helicopter spotted the "crop" from the air and called it in😐

I guess they read you your Rights -----------

• Haha 1

Back around 1985, a severe tornado hit Barrie, a town about 50 miles/80 km north of Toronto.  From a hilltop, you could see the winding path it had taken.  It went through a subdivision under construction, and there was pink Fiberglas everywhere:  on the ground, stuck to the branches of trees, and so on.  The width of the path of destruction was about 30 feet.  The look was as if 3 big bulldozers running elbow-to-elbow had gone for a drunken drive, wandering this way and that.  Along that path, there was almost nothing left that was taller than grass.  Outside the path of destruction, everything looked normal.  This was especially strange when a corner of a house had been torn away, but the rest of the house was fine.

The sight was amazing, but it looked scary when I spotted 2' x 6' sections of corrugated steel wrapped around the trunks of some evergreen tress.  Thos flying sections of steel would have been deadly if they had hit anyone.  Nature has so much power that it's sometimes hard to believe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Seen that on the news, hope everything is OK, areas with natural gas lines are a little more dangerous if any leaks were caused. That will wake you up quicker than coffee.

in SF  when they had the last big 6.9  earthquake in 89 ,  gas lines  were severed and the section close to the Marina was destroyed by fire ----    one was safer living on a house boat -

e What Happened on October 17th – The San Francisco Earthquake | IF ...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

in SF  when they had the last big 6.9  earthquake in 89 ,  gas lines  were severed and the section close to the Marina was destroyed by fire ----    one was safer living on a house boat -

e What Happened on October 17th – The San Francisco Earthquake | IF ...

the World Series quake.  I remember that because a gal at work got transferred to our SF location and she was deathly afraid of earthquakes. I kept telling her there was nothing to worry about and this 1989 quake hit the very day that she reported for her first day at work.  This poor gal, I lost all credibility in her eyes. Before this, there was a military court proceeding and I was required to be at all of them due to my position. This gal was interested and I told her that eventually as she was promoted she may hold a position where she had to attend these hearings, so I told her to come with me. She said, "Am I allowed?"  I told her, "what are they going to do, stop the proceeding and ask who you are and why are you there and then kick you out."  Well, the defendant asked who she was and why she was there and since she was just an observer, the judge asked her to leave. exactly what I said wouldn't happen -- happened ... twice!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

the World Series quake.  I remember that because a gal at work got transferred to our SF location and she was deathly afraid of earthquakes. I kept telling her there was nothing to worry about and this 1989 quake hit the very day that she reported for her first day at work.  This poor gal, I lost all credibility in her eyes. Before this, there was a military court proceeding and I was required to be at all of them due to my position. This gal was interested and I told her that eventually as she was promoted she may hold a position where she had to attend these hearings, so I told her to come with me. She said, "Am I allowed?"  I told her, "what are they going to do, stop the proceeding and ask who you are and why are you there and then kick you out."  Well, the defendant asked who she was and why she was there and since she was just an observer, the judge asked her to leave. exactly what I said wouldn't happen -- happened ... twice!

,  let me avoid you a 3rd   --------  the next quake will start in Mexico and then travel  the fault into LA County ---------then all the way  up California Highway 1 -------- up to SF-----Huntington beach  should be ok -  here is an exaggeration scenario

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

That's life, in a nutshell.  Never ask, "what are the odds?"

• Like 1