Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I simulate perspiration by jumping in the shower

But there is a big difference on how they smell. :huh:

For days I have been working in the garage building a bed frame for the grandson. I get hot, come in and cool off and repeat all day. In between my shirt somewhat drys, after a bunch of times with that happening I begin to smell like a wet dog, a stinky wet dog. It feels great to take a shower at the end of the day and cool off.     

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, billybob said:

Yes that is weird but you can tell at certain times of the day or night what the propane level in a tank by the condensation near the volume level is without a meter.

We rented a cabin in the NC mountains, it was the week of Superbowl when there was that bad winter storm which almost canceled the game. The cabin was about out of firewood and the ice on the roads stopped the delivery of wood so we tried to run the gas heater which was connected to a large propane bottle on the side of the cabin. Problem is when you use a good bit of propane from a tank the valve tends to freeze up which is what happened. Being like 15 degrees it would freeze up in 10 minutes so it did little good, it was a cold couple days until the roads were cleared and we could get wood. 

It was so cold when I had to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom you did not want to get from under the covers or even move, then you would go as fast as possible. I think the high for the first 3 days was like 20, but overall it was kind of funny since we go when it is expected to snow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

I think the high for the first 3 days was like 20, but overall it was kind of funny since we go when it is expected to snow.

While living in Madison, Wisconsin, we had a winter where we went 10 days when it didn't get above -10.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It was cold. Definitely can see and not totally have experience with that freezing except for the freezing of water pipes. There are always exceptions here in Florida. when things get dangerous besides. Yet to be aware of the info that y'all are telling me now.

Thanks and behoove me to know.

Lol, btw, @dtel was that the freeze of around 92 thanks

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Marvel said:

While living in Madison, Wisconsin, we had a winter where we went 10 days when it didn't get above -10.

I have never seen minus anything, about 6-7 is as cold as I have been in. It was skiing in Beckley WV. The place was almost empty, I asked why and they said it's to cold, the locals will be back in a few days when it's a little warmer. But I don't get to ski much so I did, had it almost all to myself, which is not good I almost killed myself getting brave/stupid. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
Just now, billybob said:

Lol, btw, @dtel was that the freeze of around 92 thanks

It could have been it seems like a long time ago, it was a crazy cold front right before the Superbowl is about all I remember as far as the date goes. 

Being from where it very rarely snows we tend to take off to the North East when alot of snow is expected, not always a smart thing to do. Once it took us 12 hours to get from Fort Payne  Alabama to Chattanooga, it was either sit in a truck stop and wait until the AM for the roads to be plowed or drive, so we drove. The interstate had ruts in the ice from the few trucks on the roads, so we stayed in the ruts and went really slow. The scary part was when you got to a good sized downhill slope you knew if the tires broke loose there was no stopping going downhill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Heading into a snow storm is not always a great idea, but this one was fun. We wanted to go to the mountains for Christmas and they expected a little snow. So we rented a cabin for 10 days and headed up to E Tennessee. Well we got there and went to the grocery and got stuff to cook for days so we would not have to go out to eat everyday. We get there everything is great, it's Christmas eve and there expecting snow that night just what we were hoping for. We had a friend with us from Indy, grand kids, and our daughter.  When it started to snow that night he said it's just going to be a dusting, OK good enough for us. It looked like this when we got there.

christmas snow 2010 (604).JPG

• Like 4

• Moderators

It snowed all night, and in the morning the friend from Indy who is use to snow said that's was a pretty good snow. Well it snowed all day until the next morning and we woke up and it looked like this. He was surprised, and we were for sure. It turned out the road to get out and everything around was covered and no way to get off the mountain for 3 days, we were snowed in, a first for us Southerners. This was the next day and the other pic is the driveway to get out the next morning.

We did have a great time, the grand kids sledded down the driveway it was plenty deep enough, couldn't drive on it for sure.

And the view from the porch.

christmas snow 2010 (75).JPG

christmas snow 2010 (64).JPG

christmas snow 2010 (221).JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Yes that could have been awhile back. So cold when we moved into our place, we slept on the floor , such was she. A litter of unweaned kittens , 4 of them starving kits. Did not see that coming.

Well, couldn't hope them much, she, on the other hand introduced

them to milk from dairy. Between the scratch and toss out, they settled in and beyond warm.

In 92 people were all about refill propane to survive. Blew mind and neighbor across street died. Told that one before.

Loved the 2 previous vacations to

the south Appalachians about the elevations and the mild, cool weather in July.

Water pump busted between  pump and tank awhile ago in Tallahassee. More than once.

Lol, cheers to you.... Edit: no insulation. Had forgotten my

lesson s on

• Sad 1

@Dave1290

Hey Dave,

Just want to say I took a note from you.  You invited me and my brother-in-law to stop over for a rest when we went to pick up the KPT-904's in Erie, PA. 

Well,  a forum member is coming down from Minneapolis to me, just south of Chicago to pick up my Chorus II speakers.  He wants a pair to restore and make "his own" and mine are the perfect pair for the right price.  I'm actually losing a little money on them.  I just don't have time to restore them myself with all that's going on with my wife, but at least they're going to a forum member who will apprecite them.

Anyway, he's not spending the night but I'm cooking him a FAT RIBEYE that he'll be talking about for years!  Figured I'll fill his belly up before the 8 hour journey back home.

Thank you for the proposed hospitality (though we didn't take it) and wanted to let you know I'm passing it on.  Treat guests like Kings right?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I learnt that one too ... had a rough day, was driving home and telling my brother about all the crap that happened that day. Then I said, "what next?"  well, a moment later I'm pulling into my parking space and a cop is stopping right behind me.  He gives me a ticket saying that I didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign. 

That was day I stopped referring to the police as police. I now call them Revenue Generators because they hide in alleys just waiting to catch someone. once upon a time, they wanted to visible in the community to deter crime ... now they just want to hide and catch people. I used to watch them from my house, they'd back into the alley and just wait for someone to come to a "California stop" then give them a ticket. 

That reminds me of the speed cops who habitually set up at the bottom of a hill or at the exit of a tunnel.  We’d call those locations fishing holes, because the cops would hang around there and reel in as many suckers as they could.  On the bright side, it made them predictable, which is good.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Snow's fun IF you're sitting around a fireplace!  Stompin around in it's fun then it's back in to the fireplace!   :)

I call horse pucky. You're rationalizing. 

I don't care to have it as long as we do.

... and it's gone in a matter of an hour or three. 

I might not mind it as much, if it wasn't cold

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I might not mind it as much, if it wasn't cold

It looks perfectly comfortable looking at it on my computer screen.

I love ski bibs and jackets, you can lay in the snow and be warm and dry.

• Haha 2

On 8/9/2020 at 8:19 AM, JohnJ said:

Slept in until 8am today, my second visit every day is to turn out the back porch light then onto the coffee pot. Was getting stuff together had the water, ground the beans, dumped the hot out of the preheated pot. The whole house creaked and popped like it was alive, breathing and stretching, looked outside no 50mph wind coming through here. Neighbor texted and asked if she had lost it or did her house just move! It was a 5.1 at 8:07 up towards the Appalachians. Uncle that lives over a hundred miles closer said it was like his home was under a train trestle and one just went over it.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?currentFeatureId=se60324281&extent=20.38583,-125.06836&extent=52.82932,-64.90723

Welcome to California.....no wait...that's not right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, babadono said:

Welcome to California.....no wait...that's not right.

Thanks @babadono `cept the last one that was a point bigger was in the 19 teens here.

Had an acquaintance from San Fran back in the 80s that was here before Hugo hit us then back at home when that big one hit, His house had cracks in the walls from it.

Not for me definitely! 

• Like 1