Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 hours ago, Islander said:

American bears like people. too.  Sometimes they will follow a man walking..

Thankfully, I've only had one encounter with a Bear in the wild and it was in Idaho during an Elk hunting trip. The Bear wasn't at all happy with the encounter, but it only huffed, puffed, and growled and then went away. I was glad I didn't have to test the Bear killing capability of my 30-06 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight!!!!!!! 😳

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I'm not sure if that is the exact spot of that CHP officer's death; but I know what you're talking about.  This was the Sylmar (San Fernando) quake of 1971.  Northridge is close and they had a big one 1994 (I was there for that one too).  I think they were nearly identical in magnitude. 6.6 and 6.7 if I recall correctly.

We were living in Lancaster when the Northridge quake hit. My office was in Moorpark and since I was always in my office before any of my organization arrived, my getup time was O-Dark-Thirty. I was sitting on the edge of the bed putting on my shoes when the quake hit (about 4:30am) and it rattled our house pretty good, but no damage, just scared the crap out of my wife and daughter. Three of us in the Palmdale/Lancaster area carpooled together and that was my week to drive. Since the quake had just occurred, we didn’t have much information, so we started the drive down Highway 14 towards our offices, which would have taken us down through the I-5/Hwy 14 and then I-5/I-405 Interchange on our way to take the Semi Valley freeway to Moorpark. We were listening to the news all the way down and when we got to Canyon Country there were fires everywhere from broken gas lines; it was still dark and looked like a war zone. That’s when we heard about the interchange collapsing and the death of the CHP Officer, so we turned around and headed back to the Antelope Valley. We had one heck of a commute until the interchange was rebuilt!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I know this isn't the joke thread; but sometimes a good laugh will get you guys off your caffeine high.

so a blind man accidentally walks into a women's bar and says to the girl bartender, '' you wanna hear a blonde joke?" and the bartender says " well sir the lady next to you is a blonde weight lifter, the two waitresses are both blonde and in a girls wrestling team the other bartender is blonde as well as me are both body builders. Now sir are you sure you wanna tell that joke still?" and the man says "no. not if I'm gonna have to explain it five times

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

You guys need to ride a snowmobile!

Never rode one, they do look like fun.

Since we woke up the Canadian members one question, Canadian bacon is this what people eat instead of bacon or both ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Never rode one, they do look like fun.

Since we woke up the Canadian members one question, Canadian bacon is this what people eat instead of bacon or both ?

both ------but , I would say ,  bacon is the bacon on both sides of the border -Canadian Bacon is leaner and  , more like ham -

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buck115 said:

We were living in Lancaster when the Northridge quake hit. My office was in Moorpark and since I was always in my office before any of my organization arrived, my getup time was O-Dark-Thirty. I was sitting on the edge of the bed putting on my shoes when the quake hit (about 4:30am) and it rattled our house pretty good, but no damage, just scared the crap out of my wife and daughter. Three of us in the Palmdale/Lancaster area carpooled together and that was my week to drive. Since the quake had just occurred, we didn’t have much information, so we started the drive down Highway 14 towards our offices, which would have taken us down through the I-5/Hwy 14 and then I-5/I-405 Interchange on our way to take the Semi Valley freeway to Moorpark. We were listening to the news all the way down and when we got to Canyon Country there were fires everywhere from broken gas lines; it was still dark and looked like a war zone. That’s when we heard about the interchange collapsing and the death of the CHP Officer, so we turned around and headed back to the Antelope Valley. We had one heck of a commute until the interchange was rebuilt!!!!!!!

My brother was living in Westlake Village, in the same general district as Thousand Oaks and Moorpark, at that time, and his house got quite a shake.  The ground moved severely enough that about one foot of water got sloshed out of his swimming pool.  Yes, that’s a trivial thing in light of all the tragedies the earthquake caused, but it gives you some idea of the force and reach of the event

9 hours ago, JBCODD said:

The next two weeks will be warm.

IMG_1092.JPG

Well, that’s pretty extreme.  We really do need a WOW! emoji.  Up here in the Great White North, southern Ontario is having its usual sweaty late summer, with temps of 90F and a bit more.  Meanwhile, we’re having another cool summer out here on the Southwest Coast.  Highs are a slightly below seasonal 20C/68F, but it will get warmer over the weekend, up to 29C/84F.  Port Alberni, the usual hot spot of the Island, will have single-digit Celsius overnight temperatures, meaning under 50F.  A hot week or two would make it fell like it’s actually summer, but since A/C is really rare in homes here, maybe I shouldn’t grumble, and be happy with the onshore breezes that keep the heat from ever reaching the baking hot stage.

Things could always be worse, here in the First World.

5 hours ago, babadono said:

68 the high in the summer? That's cold. Sounds like winter temps in my area.

and not a particularly nice winter day, at that

we got some precip last night. Had some hard rain. Not a lot... but hard. So hard, that it came as a solid. Hail

Wonder how much is left of the garden.

cooling measured by the standard A/C terms... in tons [of ice]

20 hours ago, babadono said:

68 the high in the summer? That's cold. Sounds like winter temps in my area.

That’s what we get for having the cold North Pacific on 3 sides of Victoria, here on the southern tip of Vancouver Island.  Even so, it’s still warmer than a San Francisco summer.  Besides, it’s that relatively (compared with the land) warm winter ocean that means that it almost never gets really cold, with snow rarely lasting more than two weeks in winter, and snow-free winters happening every few years.

In nearly every part of Canada, nearly every home has a boot tray that comes out every Fall.  It’s a plastic or rubber tray with raised edges that holds two or more pairs of boots (and a litre or so of water), and is essential when you or your visitors come through the door with slushy boots or shoes.  You don’t want that (usually) salt-impregnated slush getting on your hardwood or carpeted floors.  Here in Victoria, I’ve never seen one in a home or even in a hardware store, where you would normally buy them.  People raised here probably wouldn’t know what a boot tray is, nor why it’s needed.

• Like 2