Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Beaumont.  30 miles from the LA border on interstate 10.

I was in Beaumont once about 45 years ago , was flown there from offshore whan a storm was coming. It was a cow pasture with a small shed on it that had a sign Beaumont / Port Arthur Airport, it was just for helicopters from offshore, no landingstrip. They had a rental car waiting for us, and by the time we drove back to NO it was over and time to go back to the Gulf. Driving back there was a large Coors plant, somewhere down there.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, dtel said:

I was in Beaumont once about 45 years ago , was flown there from offshore whan a storm was coming. It was a cow pasture with a small shed on it that had a sign Beaumont / Port Arthur Airport, it was just for helicopters from offshore, no landingstrip. They had a rental car waiting for us, and by the time we drove back to NO it was over and time to go back to the Gulf. Driving back there was a large Coors plant, somewhere down there.

I moved here in 1980 so, 40 years ago.  That airport is the Jack Brooks regional airport I believe which is half way between Beaumont and Pt Arthur.  It'll handle prop airplanes and small jets now.  I've never seen any brewery here other than the little craft ones.  Maybe it was a distribution site or possibly was moved before I got here.

• Like 1

Back in the 70s we'd get clothing from them.. the sweaters, levis or whatever for Christmas. The gloss white boxes that had the White House embossed on them I showed to all of my friends. Thought it was cool even though it was a department store!

*Porterhouse time, it's up to room temp time for the evoo and some salt. Got to start the grill, cleaned & sliced up the shrooms already. Had potatos for two days, going to be different and have salad with the beef in a while!

Catch y'all later!

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 2

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I moved here in 1980 so, 40 years ago.  That airport is the Jack Brooks regional airport I believe which is half way between Beaumont and Pt Arthur.  It'll handle prop airplanes and small jets now.  I've never seen any brewery here other than the little craft ones.  Maybe it was a distribution site or possibly was moved before I got here.

I have no idea, it was just a giant building with a big Coors sign on it, it was huge. I remember it because back then in Louisiana and East you could not get Coors for some reason.  My best friend really wanted some Coors but we had no way to get it so I kept looking nd was able to get him a case for his birthday. It was funny, he tried it and it gave him diarrhea for days, everyone thought it was so funny because it was all he talked about was wanting to try Coors.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I tried to look it up and found nothing, the more I think about it I wonder if it was just a plant that had the same name and we thought it was Coors beer ? All I remember was a huge plant and it had the name on the outside ?

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Catch y'all later!

Good reason, got to take care of the important things like a good steak. :emotion-21:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

I tried to look it up and found nothing, the more I think about it I wonder if it was just a plant that had the same name and we thought it was Coors beer ? All I remember was a huge plant and it had the name on the outside ?

There's a really big distributor in Beaumont that's right off I-10.  They probably had a sign on the outside.  Now that you've said that it seems familiar.

Not the best I've ever done. Maybe too liberal with the evoo or because I dumped the sauteed mushrooms and garlic right on the plate. Plus the fire was hot, grill said 430 and I knew if I didn't put it on the coals would die too quick & normally like it more rare. Enough of that, I didn't even make the salad `cause I was HUNGRY today.

PXL-20201009-191217848.jpg

Couldn't resist when it is $12.99 marked down to $6.99 then they do the senior discount on Thurs that my gray temples earned me! Wasn't even angus but this was tender and long gone now! Good, good dinner today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow, FINALLY got caught up in here.  Steve's vertical, Grasshopper saved the recliner and will prolly work on an ejection seat at some point, found the Coors, which is VERY important and never gave me anything I didn't ask for.  Hoping everyone down South is going to make it thru the storm.  Now MicroMara is ANOTHER story molesticating

all those poor nursies over there.  😂

Thinking I've got nice weather around here til the end of next week and I'm trying to get ahead of the game a bit but my Auctioneer buddy keeps coming up w/great stuff at amazing prices.  The down side is driving to pick the stuff up.  Snagged a couple more like new magic carpets for this place AND the catch of the eon.  Picked up this Kennedy tool chest for $525.  They had TONS of S-K Wayne tools that went cheap also but I'd just hurt myself with all of those.  Got there to pick up and found out why he had the tools & chest.  He had the engine torn down and was working on his wife's 1960 MG Roadster when he passed.  Talk about a beautiful car?  MINT condition too.  My buddy is talking to her about selling it to me but so far no soap.  This thing is pristine.  So I've been holed-up in the garage takin care of business before the weather changes and I have to figure out where I'm going to put the MG.  hahaha

IMG-20201009-145546136-1.jpg

I KNOW I've got a pack or two of gum in there somewhere!  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

Wow, FINALLY got caught up in here.  Steve's vertical, Grasshopper saved the recliner and will prolly work on an ejection seat at some point, found the Coors, which is VERY important and never gave me anything I didn't ask for.  Hoping everyone down South is going to make it thru the storm.  Now MicroMara is ANOTHER story molesticating

all those poor nursies over there.  😂

Thinking I've got nice weather around here til the end of next week and I'm trying to get ahead of the game a bit but my Auctioneer buddy keeps coming up w/great stuff at amazing prices.  The down side is driving to pick the stuff up.  Snagged a couple more like new magic carpets for this place AND the catch of the eon.  Picked up this Kennedy tool chest for $525.  They had TONS of S-K Wayne tools that went cheap also but I'd just hurt myself with all of those.  Got there to pick up and found out why he had the tools & chest.  He had the engine torn down and was working on his wife's 1960 MG Roadster when he passed.  Talk about a beautiful car?  MINT condition too.  My buddy is talking to her about selling it to me but so far no soap.  This thing is pristine.  So I've been holed-up in the garage takin care of business before the weather changes and I have to figure out where I'm going to put the MG.  hahaha

IMG-20201009-145546136-1.jpg

I KNOW I've got a pack or two of gum in there somewhere!  :)

The old English cars and bikes can be a lot of fun. I've owned many.  Fasteners and threads are BWS (British Whitworth Standard) so be prepared to get at least the basic hand tools.

To easy to round off-strip hard to find nuts and bolts. Also a few taps and dies. Have fun.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, NADman said:

The old English cars and bikes can be a lot of fun. I've owned many. 

Having tool for those is a must, some break more than Fords and that's saying something. :lol::D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Eh, no hurry on anything.  Prolly having a wet dream about the ride but ya never know.  Taps n stuff?  Ha, have lots of that stuff just not metric.  That dude had EVERYthing.  One impressive list of S-K Wayne stuff sold.  Quarter, half, inch drive sets in both metric and US.  Breaker bars, cranks, torques, you name it.  Just gimme the tool chest!  Not a mark on it inside or out.  Like new.  Looked it up and $2350 new.  Not me, I'm cheap!  :)

• Like 4