Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

On 10/11/2020 at 9:39 AM, CECAA850 said:

I balance my checkbook at home when they send me my monthly statement. 

In Canada, balancing a checkbook is a foreign concept.  I don’t want to have homework that the bank should be doing for me.  When I deposit a cheque, or anytime I’m at the bank, I just get my passbook updated, and all the transactions since the last update are there.  Lately, because of COVID, the banks aren’t updating passbooks, so they just print out a statement for you, which takes only a few seconds, even if you ask for it to go back a few months.

If you never go to the bank, you can still review everything online, or over the phone, which is a bit more cumbersome.  Maybe this has something to do with the fact that there’s only a handful of very big banks here, while in the US there seem to be small local banks all over the place.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Islander said:

In Canada, balancing a checkbook is a foreign concept.  I don’t want to have homework that the bank should be doing for me.  When I deposit a cheque, or anytime I’m at the bank, I just get my passbook updated, and all the transactions since the last update are there.  Lately, because of COVID, the banks aren’t updating passbooks, so they just print out a statement for you, which takes only a few seconds, even if you ask for it to go back a few months

My son and daughter used their up to date bank balance as an indication of what they had in their account.  They never kept track of outstanding transactions which hadn't hit their account.  After a couple of overdraft charges they got the concept.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

My son and daughter used their up to date bank balance as an indication of what they had in their account.  They never kept track of outstanding transactions which hadn't hit their account.  After a couple of overdraft charges they got the concept.

Derrr

well

wife had kids today

I forgot how much she missed seeing them. She came home all smiles.

eating pizza. Frank [the cat that eats chicken bones] is begging. He's a pizza pirate. He's good around chicken, fish ... meat in general. Pizza...No  He will snipe a slice from the pan and take it to his bowl. At least he's neat about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, grasshopper said:

my guess is that they have never heard a horn section. 

One of my dad's friends boys was learning to play trumpet.... He got complaints about a car horn going off all afternoon.

Acoustic doesn't mean quiet.

I read a story in the BBC about a retired Brazilian soccer star. he was a star before stars got rich. They painted him as a quiet and happy man who was not bitter about the fact that he never got rich. He lived in "a small, government furnished apartment." He enjoyed a nice glass of wine and "playing his trumpet." Playing a trumpet in a small apartment...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Frank [the cat that eats chicken bones] is begging. He's a pizza pirate. He's good around chicken, fish ... meat in general. Pizza...No  He will snipe a slice from the pan and take it to his bowl. At least he's neat about it.

We have a feral cat who begs when we eat out back (totally our fault.) I threw her a garlic chicken wing and instead of eating it near us she picked it up and raced off, as if she was afraid we might take it back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2020 at 12:38 PM, CECAA850 said:

When it comes to anything involving money (and many other things in life), you have to pay attention, or it will cost you.

Sylvester Stallone once said something like, “You have to watch what they’re doing with your money, or you’ll find yourself standing there in your Calvins, because they took everything else.”  I suspect he may have learned a hard lesson about “Hollywood accounting”.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

It was common in the old days for future, or current, TV stars to turn up on shows like Perry Mason, Twilight Zone, etc.  The list of stars in T-Zone episodes is immense.

That's another reason why I watch old shows and movies, spot the stars. I saw a young Kurt Russell in an old movie a while back.

• Like 3

Robert Redford was on Perry Mason... and Bette Davis sat in for Raymond Burr on an episode

Several cast members from Start Trek have been on. Leonard Nimoy, George Takai, DeForest Kelley... haven't seen William Shatner, yet

Vacuumed the house yesterday. Turned to be rather counter-productive. When I got done, looked around and there was hair and crap all over everything.... 

The retainer for the filter had come loose and the machine was blowing out all what it sucked in... thanks?

I did knock down some of our organic flypaper [spiderwebs] as mosquito season is about done. Now we have a tree cricket in the house.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Vacuumed the house yesterday. Turned to be rather counter-productive. When I got done, looked around and there was hair and crap all over everything.... 

The retainer for the filter had come loose and the machine was blowing out all what it sucked in... thanks?

Geeze I hope you took the hint and took the rest of the day off after cleaning that up. Bad, very bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2