Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

14 minutes ago, Weber said:

Sorry, that was accidentally misleading, I have no question. Just leaving it open to share an experience.

I mostly machined stuff for the foundry operations (grey and ductile cast iron) or in the process of pattern-making, modifying the patterns to get the molds to run with less scrap, and other various and sundry tasks.  Most of the machine work was done on mills or lathes.

How much free space do you have inside that bell-housing where the repairs were made?...enough to insert and inner ring from the inside so that you don't need to change the hole pattern?  And if you don't have enough free space, can you turn it from the inside and still retain enough material to provide the strength it needs by using an inner ring in the area you make space for from the inside?

Just wondering...

• Like 2

That job left this morning. That whole machine is a little different. The clutches mount on a tapered shaft and the shaft does not go in a pilot bearing, it has an outboared bearing. The bell housing and bearing housing mount on a plate that bolts to the main frame. I just drilled and tapped new holes in the housing and plate and the bearing housing could rotate the 30 degrees and bolt straight to them. 

Drilling the plate. 

20161026_184403.jpg

• Like 3

I did 5 axis Fadal for a short time after my USN days. My last job was a 25 foot diameter electromagnet on an older NC converted to CNC. Cool place to work. After hours the shop was ours to build whatever we wanted for our hot rods.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I whittled a race car out of a piece of balsa wood once when I was in cub scouts.

Now you are just making shitt up; Cub Scouts weren't founded until 1930 and the max age to join is 12 so you were too old.....

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

So, did your effort win a trophy in the pinewood derby??  I think we still used eastern white pine back when I was a Cub Scout in the early 1960's.

Mine sucked.  It was somewhere between 64 and 68 as we lived in Florida at the time.  I think you were right on the pine though.  The balsa wood creation was in the cub scouts as well.  It was a rocket looking thing that had 2 wires on it that suspended it from a string.  There was a propeller on the front that was driven by a rubber band.  You wound it up and hung it on the string and let go of the propeller    the ship that went the farthest won.  I actually won that contest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

The balsa wood creation was in the cub scouts as well.  It was a rocket looking thing that had 2 wires on it that suspended it from a string.  There was a propeller on the front that was driven by a rubber band.  You wound it up and hung it on the string and let go of the propeller    the ship that went the farthest won. .

We did that, too!  My dad found a longer rubber band that let you get more distance when it was totally wound up tight.  More "fuel" gets you further!  LOL!

• Like 1

The above trophy was only for 1st place Troop, as my regional 1st place trophy was knocked off the mantel and broken... My father had a Shopsmith, and the sanding wheel enabled me to easily shape the car. The drill press allowed me to wire brush the wheel nails, which were "lubed" with powdered graphite. The school I attended was willing to let me use their postal scale to determine how much lead weight I could add, and the lead rods were incorporated as tailpipes... Good times. Great memories. Thanks, Dad.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

The above trophy was only for 1st place Troop, as my regional 1st place trophy was knocked off the mantel and broken... My father had a Shopsmith, and the sanding wheel enabled me to easily shape the car. The drill press allowed me to wire brush the wheel nails, which were "lubed" with powdered graphite. The school I attended was willing to let me use their postal scale to determine how much lead weight I could add, and the lead rods were incorporated as tailpipes... Good times. Great memories. Thanks, Dad.

• Like 1