Tarheel

Cables, Coffee, and Cocktails

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I was thinking of Steve Bannon.

The cables, coffee, or cocktail?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Ah, I was thinking of someone else.

I think we've discussed this before - just Resist.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, novisnick said:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/etsy.html

im assuming we can post links. If this isnt allowed, mod please delete and let me know. Im new here and couldn't find this specific in the rules. 

Not trying to cause trouble, just very leary when I come across some things. 

Don't want to cause trouble.....just don't mention Carl's slushies:P

• Like 2

Morning gang

Coffee X 3

Only 100 predicted.

River Rock is sitting here looking at me, ready to be De-molded.

KitchenAid was overheating and shutting down during mixing yesterday, likely the heat of the day

as well as the load on the mixer paddle, we can fix that.

On July 17, 1967, Jimi Hendrix dropped out as the opening act for The Monkees.

63929270b514db8d8eaa100188abb529--stop-bullying-posters-stop-bullying-quotes.jpg

• Like 1

Billy Gibbons was in a band that opened for Hendrix for a while, Jimi called Gibbons the greatest living guitarist. That's quite an endorsement. 

• Like 3

Hey all and a happy taco Tuesday....

The Boss and I have had our hands full with all the BS of life.... shop, kids, house, mom and more shop.

We are leaving today to go on vacation. This is our 1st real vacation in 19 years. We are off to Niagara Falls. Getting ready to roll out now. We rented a 2017 Dodge Ram truck for the adventure. I'm sure the Pilot would have been ok... but not taking chances with it.

OK guys, we'll check in later... 

MKP :-)

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

The Boss and I have had our hands full with all the BS of life.... shop, kids, house, mom and more shop.

We are leaving today to go on vacation. This is our 1st real vacation in 19 years. We are off to Niagara Falls. Getting ready to roll out now. We rented a 2017 Dodge Ram truck for the adventure. I'm sure the Pilot would have been ok... but not taking chances with it.

Great to hear from you Mark.  Be safe and have fun on your vacation, you've more than earned it. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Have fun Mark, pretty cool place. 

I was swamped with work, but got away last week to San Antonio Tx. It was awesome. If it wasn't so hot, I could live there.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Billy Gibbons was in a band that opened for Hendrix for a while, Jimi called Gibbons the greatest living guitarist. That's quite an endorsement. 

Jimmy must have been stoned? 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, richieb said:

Jimmy  Jimi must have been stoned? 

I sure hope so.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, richieb said:

Jimmy must have been stoned? 

Yea, he was probably always stoned. 

In a recent Gibbons interview, he said the Jimi was serious when he said that.

• Like 3

Maybe Jimi owed Billy some money and Jimi wanted to butter him up to stop Billy's nagging talk of his debt....what?.....it could have happened.

Gibbons is not far above Angus Young in my books. ZZ makes some good music but the talent in the band is not much to brag about.....my 2 cents.

Tim

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Yea, he was probably always stoned. 

In a recent Gibbons interview, he said the Jimi was serious when he said that.

OK, I stand corrected. Gibbons must have been stoned.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, richieb said:

OK, I stand corrected. Gibbons must have been stoned.

I sure hope so.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, richieb said:

^^^^^

--- and you weren't ??

• Like 3

3 hours ago, teaman said:

Gibbons is not far above Angus Young in my books. ZZ makes some good music but the talent in the band is not much to brag about.....my 2 cents.

IMHO, Jimi Hendrix, himself, was not a GREAT guitarist...INNOVATIVE, yes...and he deserves THAT credit...but GREAT??  Just look at how many REALLY GREAT guitarists there were around prior to Jimi's death...Chet Atkins and Les Paul (himself), to name JUST TWO of them!  And that is just in ONE genre of great guitarists, not even including any of the truly great CLASSICAL guitarists who were around at the time.

There are VERY FEW of Jimi's studio recordings with REALLY CLEAN picking going on in them...and more often than not, the quality of the studio recordings left much to be desired...especially in the mix-down end of things.  IMHO, the studio is MOST OFTEN the place where the BEST recordings SHOULD come from, simply because there are more options to do things correctly in the studio, AND more options to lay down additional tracks to be included into the final stereo mix. 

There are exceptions to this.  For instance, Savoy Brown...a band that ALWAYS sounded better "live" in concerts than what they laid down in the studio, IMHO!  Some performers absorb crowd energy and it shows when they are playing live.

Jimi Hendrix was one of those performers, too!  Unfortunately we have been left with very few live well-recorded performances of really great quality by Hendrix...his life was just cut too short....too soon...in his performing years to have had enough well-recorded  material of his "live" performances.  Of those which DO exist, Band of Gypsys is IMHO the best.

• Like 4

Every since Jimi left this world we have all these artist trying to do what he did. Call it innovation, call it shredding, call it destroying perfectly good Strats. Call it whatever you want. He was the first to do it and by my count, nobody has equaled it yet. He was not a clean wholesome picker like Chet and I suspect he didn't want to be. Don't get me wrong, a whole bunch of people can do some awesome SH*$ on the guitar, but it's not like the real McCoy if you will. Seems like there is a touch of Jimi in every rock n roll guitarist since. His influence was/is huge IMHO.

It's true that most live recordings of Jimi sux, but that's the way it is for whatever reason. Same thing with Joplin from that era.    

• Like 2