Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I'm +40 on the life expectancy so I go with what tastes good and is easy.

At 60 not really worried either, if what I have done so far hasn't killed me I'll take a chance,  never thought I would get this old. I probably shouldn't say this but i think I am ahead already considering everything.

But I am still not eating one of Carl's peppers !

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, USNRET said:

Tried it, burns too unevenly. I'm +40 on the life expectancy so I go with what tastes good and is easy.

If you are not going to do it right, don't ask for advice.  I've never had a problem with uneven burning, maybe you should brush up on the cave man skills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, USNRET said:

Tried it, burns too unevenly. I'm +40 on the life expectancy so I go with what tastes good and is easy.

30 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

If you are not going to do it right, don't ask for advice.  I've never had a problem with uneven burning, maybe you should brush up on the cave man skills.

Well, ok, using lump charcoal does take a little bit of effort....When I buy a bag, I dump it in my wheelbarrow, and sort it into three piles, small, medium and large.  Take the large pieces and split them into small and medium pieces.  Keep the small and medium pieces separated into different storage containers.  I use cheap plastic containers or buckets with a top so that it stays dry.  Use a handful of the small pieces at the bottom of a charcoal chimney and then load the rest of the chimney with the medium pieces. (never, ever use lighter fluid).  Light the chimney with a piece of newspaper.  Then I normally throw a  whole butchered baby goat and a few bunnies on top, and there you go.

• Like 4

I'd try them peppers. I wouldn't eat a whole one ... I'm crazy, not stupid.

I have some that grow wild down here.   They are pretty warm. That they grow wild is your first hint. Similar to a chile tepin...   chile pequin [bird peppers].  Little things. About the size of a pea.  I cracked a green one between my teeth. That was as far as it got. Gag reflex disposed of it.  And it NEVER touched anything but my teeth.

and I will nibble on habaneros

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vasubandu said:

Have you ever tried the sous vide method? I use it for steak, hot, warm, or freezing (which in Seattle is anything under 50 degrees).

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

does sous vide translate to precook?

Not criticizing. Just summing the process up.

the flame and char is just for appearance, basically.

Yeah, I have do use that to do my wife's steak ... she want's hers well done - no pink. otherwise we tend to end up with jerky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, USNRET said:

Coffee for me. Doughnuts for all the teener females from the sleep over.
New optical cables from Monoprice.

House is empty. Girls are at a golf lesson. Boy is at the museum with his girlfriend. Getting settled in for the NASCAR race.

Planning 1 3/4" rib eyes with teriyaki / Montreal steak seasoning but it's 37 outside and I have issues grilling in the cold. 22" Weber with Kingsford charcoal. Hints?

Ribeyes.jpg

Hello friends...............   NO problem with cooking in the winter temps here in the NE!   Nat gas 5 burner grill and side burner.   My record for cooking 'scrapple' on a Saturday morning was LAST month during that very cold stuff that most everyone EVERYWHERE was experiencing, it was dead on 5 degrees.........pork turned out just fine in a saute' pan NO cover... !     :lol:

Lowest temp for grilling up 8 swordfish steaks for dinning guests / dinner party?,   20 degrees.....managed 500 degrees under the hood with four burners running at full out....    :)   They were a hair under done (better to err on THAT side of things) and a simple 30 sec. in two microwaves kept dinner rolling and everyone pleased...    Did the same this year (Christmas night dinner party) this time, 25 degrees and I made sure to add a minute to each side..........this time PERFECT!  (as in, NO microwaves needed to save them steaks) :emotion-21:

Well, thats the outdoor winter cooking stories from here................................

• Like 3

6 hours ago, USNRET said:

Coffee for me. Doughnuts for all the teener females from the sleep over.
New optical cables from Monoprice.

House is empty. Girls are at a golf lesson. Boy is at the museum with his girlfriend. Getting settled in for the NASCAR race.

Planning 1 3/4" rib eyes with teriyaki / Montreal steak seasoning but it's 37 outside and I have issues grilling in the cold. 22" Weber with Kingsford charcoal. Hints?

Ribeyes.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

does sous vide translate to precook?

Not criticizing. Just summing the process up.

It is a very specific kind of precook.  You cook the food in a sealed (preferably with all air sucked out) bag at very low temperatures for a very long time. We are talking 120-130 degrees.  That very gently coos the meat through to the desired doneness which can be rare if you want. And then it is finished on a very hot grill to create the texture and appearance you want. I learned about this from an amazing meat store in the neighborhood, and at first I thought the guy was making it all up because they are very very serious about their meat. But he said that no matter how good you are with the grill, you are  still cooking the inside that you can't see, and if you lose count of how many beers you have had, you probably will lose track of time too.

The thing I notice is that the meat has no toughness, even on the surface.  I had not realized before how much the texture around the surface is affected.  If you want to try this, there are lots of sites online that explain how to do it with a pan of water, a thermometer and a timer.  

It works for your wife.  Maybe you would like it too. We won't tell anyone.

• Like 3