Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

that a stub of a Sago palm? 

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Tarheel.......and yes that's a Sago Palm.  A freeze kills the prawns and they have to be cut off. 

Yes, I hate those things, they make some serious thorns, if you get stuck it seems to leave a bump for a year. I think it funny when people put them right on the side of a walkway where there small and cute, later they huge and you can't pass on the walkway so they cut them down.

Same palm leaf/frond they use for Easter Sunday, don't know why but it is ?

Tarheel in that last pic with the brick walkway, the plants look really uneven from the walkway, probably an optical illusion of the pic ?

It all looks good I do not like boxwood's so I don't blame you they do nothing, no flowers and when they get older they always look rough. Looks like 3 Firepower Nandina on the side, nice colors in the winter. Is that azaleas or Indian Hawthorn on the side, either way it looks nice. I love new mulch, pine needles does well also and last a long time plus gives you a place to get rid of it. 

I like the rock border, I did the same by the gravel driveway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Tarheel.......and yes that's a Sago Palm.  A freeze kills the prawns and they have to be cut off. 

oops my bad

sorry

we have some thorny stuff. Most everything. The bloody bermuda grass will stick you. 

there is a beauty of a thorn  bush.  Graythorn.  The Mexican name sounds much nicer, but I would butcher the spelling.

this bush does not have thorns. Not like raspberries or roses or hawthorn.  It is thorns.  Every growing end is a point

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

i go in for my physical on Monday; but, i got the lab results back this morning.  Except for the things that could kill me, i’m doing fine.

Doc said most of the test results were great.  she is having the lab rerun the glucose test as it came back slightly elevated.  Cholesterol was 169. I can ask her questions at the physical on Monday.  I’m pleased with the results as i really haven’t taken care of myself (eating wise) since i moved. I do eat a ton of bread & cheese, and i know i need to cut back on that. VERY rare occasion that i eat sweets.  I haven’t had a doughnut in YEARS. Couldn’t even tell you the last time I ate a piece of cake. I think i had a piece of pie about two years ago. I do break down a couple times a year and eat some ice cream.

Well hell your gonna live forever, you eat better then me, well healthier maby not better. :P Cake , ice cream, donuts does nothing for me, now cookies or chips is a different story, but I do enough damage with regular food.

Sounds like good news for you, just remember look twice before you cross !

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, WillyBob said:

I roll my own cigarettes.... really

"tailor made" cigarettes are about as "good"  as canned ground coffee

since I'm on a roll...

there is tobacco that grow wild down here.  The indigenous peoples used it for religious ceremonies ... it must be pretty strong.

So what you say, hey I'm going outside to have a folgers ? :wacko:

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, USNRET said:

Anyone use milk of magnesia on threads?

Dip the bolt threads in it before installation on things that run hot like exhaust manifolds, headers, turbo-jet hot sections.

Muy bueno

I sell bulk tanker loads of the stuff. For wastewater use, it is called magnesium hydroxide. It has other industrial uses also, but is excellent for for pH control in wastewater systems. Also, the bacteria like it more than any other pH raising chemical on the market. 

Go figure.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

still my greatest threat ... i walk three miles a day, and now do it without my hearing aids (listening to music with ear buds instead), so i am training myself to look over my shoulder every time i cross a street. 

I want to die in my sleep, like my grandpa -- not like the screaming people that were riding in the car with him.

Actually, my grandfather died at 76; but, with medical attention he probably could have lived longer. The little village on the island of Faial where he was born and died, the hospital there says that all old people died from a heart attack. He had a bleeding ulcer, so we doubt he had a heart attack. 

the Portuguese women in my family all live into their 90s (except my Mom, who died at 33; but, she was killed by a drunk driver). The men don’t live as long, mid-70s to mid-80s. When my grandma died at age 93, her older sister was still alive (for two more days then she died). None of them lived in a nursing home or anything like that -- they were all mobile up to the end.  Her little sister, lived to 101 or 102 ... in a dangerous neighborhood in Oakland too.

Your right, doing anything without your hearing aids or listening to music you have to be looking everywhere. I cut grass here and my sisters with a tractor about 6-7 acres total and I use earbuds with sound damping ear earphones over that. I can hear the engine and cutter but that's it and it's a strange feeling, I am always looking over my shoulder and all around. But it is fun.

101 and living in a bad spot in Oakland, she must have been tough or at least she has seen alot.

Faial would not be as place to get sick

I love that joke about granpa, I remember laughing the first time I heard it and it's funny every time.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Windy, chilly, and sunny.  Pollen pretty heavy too.  A few breaks in the irrigation system fixed yesterday.  No alcohol consumption for 3 days:mellow:  That's about it.

that's like me saying . I did not drink

my second pot of coffee today...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mornin' all

Got the Olds back. $175 lighter.  I look at new cars and all the gadgets in them ... makes me look hard at putting some $$$ into this old pos. Runs good and is reliable. Easy on fuel, too. I figure 30mpg. It does better on pure hwy driving. My mileage isn't exactly an average of city/hwy. Drive 20 miles and pause the car for a stop sign, then go. Slow down for turns or a cow ... Dodging potholes that kinda stuff.  Traffic ... uh, no.

Went traditional when I bought beans yesterday. ColombianSupremo.   Using the end of the Guatemalan this AM.

winter has returned. A few days of normal and sub-normal .... back to 80's   until the next one, then it's all spring's fault

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dtel said:

Yes, I hate those things, they make some serious thorns, if you get stuck it seems to leave a bump for a year. I think it funny when people put them right on the side of a walkway where there small and cute, later they huge and you can't pass on the walkway so they cut them down.

Same palm leaf/frond they use for Easter Sunday, don't know why but it is ?

Tarheel in that last pic with the brick walkway, the plants look really uneven from the walkway, probably an optical illusion of the pic ?

It all looks good I do not like boxwood's so I don't blame you they do nothing, no flowers and when they get older they always look rough. Looks like 3 Firepower Nandina on the side, nice colors in the winter. Is that azaleas or Indian Hawthorn on the side, either way it looks nice. I love new mulch, pine needles does well also and last a long time plus gives you a place to get rid of it. 

I like the rock border, I did the same by the gravel driveway.

At the front of the house Ruby Lorapetlum

By walk way Kaleidoscope Abelia

Side of house Camellia Sasanqua  "Yuletide"

Side of house Cleyera Japonica

Side of house Crimson Fire Lorapetlum

Remove all old greenery,  repair drip line irrigation, 3 cubic yards mulch, 1 yard topsoil, and 10 man hours labor=$1482.00

• Like 2

Nice!

wish I had it so easy.

I am still clearing rock off the surface of our piece.  Filling "baskets" 4ft tall X 1.5ft dia on the fence line.  5 down. I think t will turn into a wall before I'm done or like one of those Inca homesites.

I think about those farm fields with the rock "fences" I saw in VA.  The poor bugger plowing.... tang!   Not again?!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

At the front of the house Ruby Lorapetlum

By walk way Kaleidoscope Abelia

Side of house Camellia Sasanqua  "Yuletide"

Side of house Cleyera Japonica

Side of house Crimson Fire Lorapetlum

Remove all old greenery,  repair drip line irrigation, 3 cubic yards mulch, 1 yard topsoil, and 10 man hours labor=$1482.00

Those Lorapetlum look a little different that the Purple plum here, but these are old, I like these plants. We have a sasanqua that went crazy here it got huge, it's about 10' tall and 10' wide, it's called Pink Snow mostly because it make so many flowers it makes the ground pink all around.  Just remember to trim it all once a year to help keep it full looking, like azaleas.

Looks good.

You can see why they call it pink snow

yard-3.JPG.c4ec47ac7de6ae3a6fdb46b227141cfe_(2).JPG

• Like 4

• Moderators

This is a old Purple plum Lorapetlum , which is close to the Ruby, they can get big. I need to trim this group alot or it will get tall and in the way of the walkway. I like this plant, it's this color all year, unless it flowers which is bright red/pink.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

I worked at a plant nursery for a while

one day a lady came in wanting a flowering tree     ..........................   that didn't make a "mess"

I was younger and ... um, more polite. I didn't laugh in her face or send her to get plastic or silk.  I would now

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Pleased because they are better than previous results?  Or pleased for some other reason?

not better than a couple of years ago ... pleased that they weren’t worse.  i guess my opinion of “eating bad” has changed to the point that what I now deem as eating bad, is still better than days gone by.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2