Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Spam isn't Filipino.  I'm not sure it is really all that tasty either.  The origination was in the survival food nature from history.  It became a part of the culture post war time.  I don't mind it in small amounts in a fried rice, but seriously?  It is shelf stable in the can, but priced what a sirloin steak is on the mainland per pound.  So it is not even cheap considering the quality.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

How expensive is Spam on the islands? It's about $2.64 at home and the equiv. here in the Phils.

It's definitely a culture thing here from WWII. I love Spam and eggs... put turmeric on the eggs while cooking and hot sauce on everything when eating.

• Like 4

Just now, dtel said:

Can't blame you, but I have had both, but don't want to know what's in them or how they're made. 

we always call the ingredients azzhole rings and eyebrows (which leads me to a funny story next time I see you)

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, USNRET said:

we always call the ingredients azzhole rings and eyebrows (which leads me to a funny story next time I see you)

IF ur hitting the pilgirmage let me know I'll throw some in the cooler.  Just googled the place and found this story from the Chicago Tribune...  Half hour down the road and it's freakin great w/french fried onion rings and a few beers.  Doesn't get any better imo!

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/sc-trav-0710-food-bologna-20120710-story.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Phils runs on 220 and house wiring looks like they've used 18 gauge zip cord. Oh, wait, they did... in some houses. Using 1/2 inch drill plugged into this extension box. Always makes me nervous.

IMG_20190110_37810.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Can't blame you, but I have had both, but don't want to know what's in them or how they're made. 

Bologna is a cooked, smoked sausage made of cured beef, cured pork or a mixture of the two. The bologna might include choice cuts, depending on who's making it, but usually contains afterthoughts of the meat industry - organs, trimmings, end pieces

we have a polish market...  that uses only good ingredients.... So if you go to Wal-Mart.. Don't know the quality of their products..

https://www.polishfoodutica.com/our-history

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Hey Mike @dirtmudd did you notice the name of the current winter storm?

It's Gia 😀

Winter Storm Gia forecast: Monster snowstorm to span half the US

A powerful winter storm, which is being dubbed "Winter Storm Gia" by The Weather Channel, is expected to wallop parts of the U.S. this weekend with snow and ice. Snow is expected to travel along a narrow 1,500-mile-long path that stretches from the Midwest to the East Coast — impacting millions of people.

Northern Missouri and central Illinois will be hit the hardest, potentially seeing more than 8 inches of snow by Sunday, the National Weather Service (NWS) reported Friday morning. The Colorado Rockies and northern Mexico should also anticipate heavy snow, the organization warned.

"In much of swath from Missouri to southern Ohio, this will heavy and wet and a strain to shovel," AccuWeather meteorologist Bill Deger said in a blog post. "The snow will be wet and clinging in nature. Weak tree limbs may give way under the weight of the snow and lead to sporadic power outages."

WHAT IS A POLAR VORTEX? A LOOK AT WHAT COULD BE IN THE FORECAST THIS WINTER

More than 40 million people are currently under winter storm alerts, according to meteorologist Kelly Cass Winter. Major cities such as Indianapolis, Cincinnati and St. Louis have been told to prepare for "significant snowfall" — at least 7 inches in some neighborhoods.

"The snow will be wet and clinging in nature."

— Bill Deger

It will be the first big winter storm of the season for many cities.

St. Louis, in particular, could see the biggest snowfall in five years, NWS meteorologist Kevin Deitsch told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, as the city prepares for up to 9 inches. The heaviest snowfall is slated to arrive overnight Friday for the city.

View image on Twitter
  • Like 2