Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Sancho, wow, we have something in common, our wives are both ill. I have a thread going and there was a lot of support from the board, your wife and you are in my prayers, look at https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148802-ugg-what-a-day/ for more info on my wife. I feel WITH you brother! Better days ARE coming.

Edited by Cal Blacksmith

Few comments, Cal...

I am not entirely certain about the shelf life of green beans. I've read where they've found green beans in Inca caves over 500 years old still in good shape. I keep mine in the freezer and have gone past 15 months and they're still better than anything pre-roasted.

You missed "camp coffee," which is excellent perhaps only because it's a beautiful, chilly morning by the river. I use a basic camp pot, boil the water furiously, then dump the coffee right in. Half a cup of cold river water settles the ground after a couple minutes brewing and careful pouring has you ready to go. It doesn't last long enough for the grounds on the bottom to affect it much! My dad said the cowboy cooks used to break an egg into the pot to settle the grounds. Never tried it myself...

As to drip, the solution to the paper catching the oils is to used a permanent metal filter. While the coffee from these is NEVER hot enough, it can be pretty good.

I've a Sunbeam vac pot from the late 40s, and love it. Seal is still great...too great. I can hardly get it loose after it's sat for a few months and then it's also really hard to reseal. Any suggestions for something that might rejuvenate old rubber without getting into the coffee?

Another good one is a 30s or so giant Wearever pot. Probably 15 cups or so. It has a cylinder for the grounds. Boil the water, then submerge the cylinder for a few minutes to brew. It's a good 'ern!

As to grinders, I consider burr grinders second to crushing as per the old bulk grinders with the big wheels. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but it just seems good to me. Wish I'd have purchased one 30 years ago or so. Quite expensive these days. Same for the European wall mount grinders...really hard to find and pricey.

For expresso, I have a larger than usual (most of them are one or two cup) Italian stove top pot that is excellent. Can't remember what I paid for it or even when, but it wasn't too pricey. May have been used...can't recall. But it does a heckuva good job and is goof proof.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Back from 9:30 doctor's appt.

Chuck--hope the doctor prescribed more speakers! Seriously, hope you are well. Enjoy your coffee.

Good morning Steve.....as a matter of fact I have been talking to Dave (GotHover) about a pair of his open baffle Yield speakers :)

have poured in Heavy Dose of Duggans

That sounds tasty, so I checked it for availability. Not available, living in New Hampshire we have only State operated Liquor outlets.

The State picks the brands and prices here. :mellow: Ma & Pa and Grocery chain stores can only sell beer & wine. ^_^

New Hampshire ? it's still winter until June there if im not mistaken, well heII if my EVs sell ill send you a bottle.

• Like 1

Good write up Cal. I think I mentioned that you should start a coffee thread a while back. At any rate I'm glad you are posting here! I'm trying to source green coffee beans locally as we speak.

Another good reply from Dave as well.

You guys are as serious about your coffee as you are your music and gear!

Cheers gents :emotion-44:

Few comments, Cal...

I am not entirely certain about the shelf life of green beans. I've read where they've found green beans in Inca caves over 500 years old still in good shape. I keep mine in the freezer and have gone past 15 months and they're still better than anything pre-roasted.

You missed "camp coffee," which is excellent perhaps only because it's a beautiful, chilly morning by the river. I use a basic camp pot, boil the water furiously, then dump the coffee right in. Half a cup of cold river water settles the ground after a couple minutes brewing and careful pouring has you ready to go. It doesn't last long enough for the grounds on the bottom to affect it much! My dad said the cowboy cooks used to break an egg into the pot to settle the grounds. Never tried it myself...

As to drip, the solution to the paper catching the oils is to used a permanent metal filter. While the coffee from these is NEVER hot enough, it can be pretty good.

I've a Sunbeam vac pot from the late 40s, and love it. Seal is still great...too great. I can hardly get it loose after it's sat for a few months and then it's also really hard to reseal. Any suggestions for something that might rejuvenate old rubber without getting into the coffee?

Another good one is a 30s or so giant Wearever pot. Probably 15 cups or so. It has a cylinder for the grounds. Boil the water, then submerge the cylinder for a few minutes to brew. It's a good 'ern!

As to grinders, I consider burr grinders second to crushing as per the old bulk grinders with the big wheels. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but it just seems good to me. Wish I'd have purchased one 30 years ago or so. Quite expensive these days. Same for the European wall mount grinders...really hard to find and pricey.

For expresso, I have a larger than usual (most of them are one or two cup) Italian stove top pot that is excellent. Can't remember what I paid for it or even when, but it wasn't too pricey. May have been used...can't recall. But it does a heckuva good job and is goof proof.

Dave

By all means, drink it how you like it, your espresso is really a moka pot, the traditional way to drink coffee in

Italy but it is not espresso, the pressure is too low. Espresso is apx one and a half to two floz (for a double

shot) of brewed coffee made from 14g (fo traditional Italian brewing) with 195 to 205f water at 9 bar of pressure in about 25 seconds.

Don't know the specs, Cal. I do know the thing scared me to death the first time I used it as it blew through the grounds and made 4 cups in maybe 10 seconds. The pressure appeared to be very high indeed, about that of a pressure cooker blowing off a popoff valve.

i stood WELL back...

In any event, I've never had expresso any better...but I may just have bad taste!

Dave

PS - Just went and looked at the two I've kept. The big one is about 5 standard cup capacity, and is French SEB. The little one is perhaps two expresso cups and is a "Dolce Cafe" made in Italy, dated 1957. I'd really never researched it until you mentioned it, but it appears the differentiation is largely something of a trade thing. The output of these things is, perhaps, detectable to us average Joe drinkers in a A/B, but it is STRONG, hot, and I certainly couldn't tell you much difference. I am pretty sure the pressure on the small one is really high. The big one probably takes around 25 seconds.

Edited by Mallette