Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I didn't say rice was cheap ... but compared to potatoes... It did take some getting used to sticky rice.

and it being served with EVERYTHING.

Order spaghetti and they ask one scoop or two of RICE.

they brought two guys from the mainland to get the bowling alley up and running - the machines, that is ... I was one. Kauai is small. And I am somewhat of a character ... didn't take long to meet folks.  

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

--- so are you saying there are nicer places to vacation ?  Hell just the other day the Feds issued a travel warning at a popular Mexican resort. I guess one pick and choose carefully these days --- ?

It's fine for vacation.  Still the good ole USA.  Great historical spots both Hawaiian and American.  Living there is just not as great as it was.  Some would say ruined by Californians.  Maybe a little but it's more than that.  

Just now, oldtimer said:

There was a bowling alley right next door to us.  Now it's closed and falling apart.  It was so cool, with dioramas of Hawaiian scenes all around the walls.  This all in the last 20 years.

which one? The guy I worked for had a couple over there.

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It's fine for vacation.  Still the good ole USA.  Great historical spots both Hawaiian and American.  Living there is just not as great as it was.  Some would say ruined by Californians.  Maybe a little but it's more than that.  

It seemed pretty much just like the mainland, except for the fact that its nights and days are screwed up because of being so far around the world.  All the prime-time events occur mid-afternoon over there.  

The homeless problem is at a breaking point.  30 years ago you hardly saw it except in some beach areas.  States are putting them on planes with one way tickets.  They are everywhere, in the parks, beaches, along streets.  It's the worst per capita homeless problem in America.   To be sure Hawaii is the best place on earth to be homeless, it's not like sleeping on a grate in a Philadelphia winter.  Enough has already been reached though.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Like many things in life the good things seem to get compromised as their popularity increases --? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

The homeless problem is at a breaking point.  30 years ago you hardly saw it except in some beach areas.  States are putting them on planes with one way tickets.  They are everywhere, in the parks, beaches, along streets.  It's the worst per capita homeless problem in America.   To be sure Hawaii is the best place on earth to be homeless, it's not like sleeping on a grate in a Philadelphia winter.  Enough has already been reached though.

--- sounds the way of Cali --?!

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It seemed pretty much just like the mainland, except for the fact that its nights and days are screwed up because of being so far around the world.  All the prime-time events occur mid-afternoon over there.  

It's awesome for sports.  Wake up have some coffee and watch the games.  By early afternoon it's done and you still have the rest of the day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It's awesome for sports.  Wake up have some coffee and watch the games.  By early afternoon it's done and you still have the rest of the day.

I was in DC a couple years ago at this time. I wanted to watch the basketball games... I couldn't stay up late enough to see the damn tip-off, even ...

1 minute ago, WillyBob said:

I had heard about the homeless problem from a friend that just came back from the BigIsland

Mexican beach is 150 miles due west from me.

LOL.  I heard it from a high powered politician that they are rapists, murderers and drug dealers.  Some are assumed to be good people.

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

LOL.  I heard it from a high powered politician that they are rapists, murderers and drug dealers.  Some are assumed to be good people.

They are.  It was even covered tonight on 60-Minutes.  Human traffickers are loading Mexicans by the tens and hundreds into the backs of 18-wheelers, and some are dying inside them.  Part of the expose discussed the reasons they are leaving in hoards - because the gangsters are intimidating local businesses, forcing mom and pop to shut them down and just flee.   For 60-Minutes to confirm this (probably not intentionally), there must be some truth to it.