Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

8 minutes ago, Emile said:

Went up on the roof today to remove some debris.  Jeez; scary

What's the pitch of your roof? Built mine 4/12 with flat roof tiles for this very reason. I can get away with the 4/12, we've only had snow once in the 7 years I've lived in it.

• Like 2

• Moderators

It happens, you realize you don't heal as fast and pain sucks and slows you down even more. I realize how old I am when I work outside and feel like I am done after a couple of hours, or inside, getting up and down off the floor while working on something, then seeing how you feel that night, like you actually did something more than you did.

You know your old when you wake up and something hurts because you slept funny . :(

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Emile said:

Best guess is 7/12 ... but felt steeper than 12/12 when I was up there :) 

St Petersburg, Fl, it was smart to get up there this time of year, a couple months later would have been much worse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, richieb said:

Which I why I hire out the high wire work - a couple hundred bucks is Much cheaper monetarily and physically than falling from a ladder, roof, etc. A big reason I stopped putting up lights at Christmas - bah freakin' humbug ?!? 

Your right it is definitely much cheaper but it takes all the fun and excitement out of the job. :D

I actually like being high, not that one but yes. A long time ago I did electrical work and had to climb everything from telephone poles to 600' towers and I loved the feeling. I still like the feeling but realize what can happen to my old azz and much more careful now, but it's still a rush to up in the air, no towers anymore for me.

My wife, her knees start to shake if she gets past the first rung on any ladder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

St Petersburg, Fl, it was smart to get up there this time of year,

Yeah ... thought so :)  If I would have had enough balls to walk it would have been fine, but was scooting on my a**  and burned "that part" and my hands doing it :) 

And to @richieb ... yes; had guys lined up a couple of times, but no-one ever showed up ... guess $50 for a 15 minute job wasn't enough for them :( 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Emile said:

Yeah ... thought so :)  If I would have had enough balls to walk it would have been fine, but was scooting on my a**  and burned "that part" and my hands doing it :) 

And to @richieb ... yes; had guys lined up a couple of times, but no-one ever showed up ... guess $50 for a 15 minute job wasn't enough for them :( 

--- $200/hr ? Hell with heights, when do you need me ---?!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, babadono said:

What's the pitch of your roof? Built mine 4/12 with flat roof tiles for this very reason. I can get away with the 4/12, we've only had snow once in the 7 years I've lived in it.

our roof is pitched slightly steeper than a sewer line.

I used to get my climbing thrills helping at the ranch. Climbing windmills. Going up the metal loop rungs is OK. Coming down, with gear lube on your hands makes it interesting

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Your right it is definitely much cheaper but it takes all the fun and excitement out of the job. :D

I actually like being high, not that one but yes. A long time ago I did electrical work and had to climb everything from telephone poles to 600' towers and I loved the feeling. I still like the feeling but realize what can happen to my old azz and much more careful now, but it's still a rush to up in the air, no towers anymore for me.

My wife, her knees start to shake if she gets past the first rung on any ladder.

Two pumps on a barber chair is high enough for me :P

• Haha 4

Two gables on my roof are 9/12. About 10 years ago I laddered up on the roof on the back of the house that isn't quite as steep. I walked the ridge to where I needed to replace a vent cap and stepped over the edge. My last move before sliding off the roof was to catch the ridge with my left hand. Haven't been back up there.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Wrong recliner

BSM.jpg

if he lost 100lb and was wearing a sarong ... it could be me.

what's a barber chair?...  Been getting bad haircuts for free for a long time. DIYer - cut it myself  Wife doesn't even help.... Sans "Honey, you missed a spot"

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

if he lost 100lb and was wearing a sarong ... it could be me.

what's a barber chair?...  Been getting bad haircuts for free for a long time. DIYer - cut it myself  Wife doesn't even help.... Sans "Honey, you missed a spot"

I can visualize that being you less the one hundred. However what I can't, I won't, visualize is the above being you less the one hundred "In A Sarong". To have the wind blowing open your sarong in that motorized contraption is far more than I am in for. You might reconsider  attending Hope if that is your conveyance. Men in sarongs in southern Arky is - well - its different.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2