Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

Was at the oldest daughters house today to work on the pool again. At the end of the summer last year we pumped it out and cleaned it then painted it. They never connected the pump or filter because it was winter, not smart. So today we pumped it out with a 2" pump and the kids cleaned out the leaves. It took hours to pump it out at over 25,000 gallons, tomorrow they will paint some and it is on them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i think i’ll go get myself a beer.  An iced cold Guinness Draught should hit the spot. 

I would offer to hold it for you but it's a Guinness and I have 0 % Irish blood so there may be laws, you wouldn't have to worry about me drinking it for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i think i’ll go get myself a beer.  An iced cold Guinness Draught should hit the spot. 

Have several in the fridge - left overs from last weekends corned beef and cabbage extraveganza. Oh damn, it was Good. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

No Irish blood in me as far as I know; but, i haven’t had a DNA test either. Mom was full-blooded Portuguese and Dad was Scottish/American.  I’ve always been a Lager man; but, suddenly developed a taste for Guinness Draught (and Guinness Blonde, which is a Lager).

If there's some Scottish, I'll bet a little Irish seeped in!

• Like 3

I have no personal knowledge regarding the accuracy of the testing done by 23 and Me, and the like.  The DNA testing used in forensic evidence is rigorously documented, as are the credentials of the experts involved.

More than thirty years ago we used DNA evidence to convict a guy of robbing a store.  During the robbery in Battle Creek, MI, one of the robbers was shot in the hand by a fellow robber.  Rather than seek emergency treatment locally, the robbers drove to Detroit, approximately 2 hours away, and  presented to an emergency room where unexplained gun shot wounds were common.  It didn’t work.  He was convicted by the exactly matching DNA in the store.

Another time involved a paternity case.  The county prosecutor brings paternity actions on behalf of the State of Michigan so that responsible fathers pay child support, rather than the state.  While waiting around, we were discussing the then “newfangled” DNA testing with the expert witness.  He confided that DNA testing only showed him as a 98% chance of being his own daughter’s father.  I’m certain the tests are more sophisticated today.

Using 23 and Me in a criminal case would be like using a Boy Scout with a merit badge in fingerprint comparisons.  The science is real, but the expertise is not.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

That’s what my brother told me. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to use a 23 & me or Ancestry DNA result in a paternity case?  @DizRotus @Jeff Matthews @dwilawyer any idea what the court’s view of these test is?

You racial background isn't used in court.  The only thing in court is whether it is your DNA or if you are parent/relative of someone else.   They wouldn't be submitted under Ancestry or 23 and me.

The Ancestry and 23 are valid, however, they can be off on European location. 

They are notorious for mixing up Hispanic and Native American.

There is still a lot of interpretation going on.  The data is accurate, what you can say from that data is slowly becoming more refined.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Check this 50 plus pound catfish caught in the lake at Rodney’s Place this evening. If you’re attending Pilgrimage consider bringing your fishing pole!  Catfish, large mouth bass and perch. One of Roy’s favorite fishing spots!

01C051DC-3C6D-4D71-890D-6DB570FDE321.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dtel's wife said:

Check this 50 plus pound catfish caught in the lake at Rodney’s Place this evening. If you’re attending Pilgrimage consider bringing your fishing pole!  Catfish, large mouth bass and perch. One of Roy’s favorite fishing spots!

01C051DC-3C6D-4D71-890D-6DB570FDE321.jpeg

Hey Christy! Did anybody I know hook into that??

• Moderators
3 hours ago, WillyBob said:

@BigStewMan

I got kicked out of the scouts for refusing to wear a uniform

@dtel's wife

that looks like work, to me.  Fish that size stop being cleaned and more butchering

If he got bass, cats and perch ... are there brim/bluegill? Or are perch bluegill? Bet they are.

Check this out. Also caught at Rodney’s two or three days ago. 

402F7FC0-8DC5-4302-8827-454BAFB49C50.jpeg

86F94896-D581-4A82-8BB3-6EE8931A8EC3.jpeg

• Like 3