Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Not deprived bud,

Didn't really come out as I was thinking, I never meant you were deprived, well maby a variety of seasonings deprived was kind of what I was thinking. 

When traveling North I always had a hard time finding seasonings to cook with or places that used much seasoning,  if they called it cajun they usually just added pepper. But I have to say I do like the flavor of Old Bay, it's from the Chesapeake Bay area, they use it to steam crabs, somewhat the same flavor we use down here for boiled seafood. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

she's making her Spice Cake

Some of them can be really good, but I'm strange, I even like the holiday fruitcakes

26 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

good dark rosted coffee

That is always good.  

• Like 2

That seasoning on Blue Crabs is the BEST!!!!

It was the first kind of Utz potato chips I ever had also.

dtel don't fret, I was havin' fun and didn't.

Never had terducken before, Madden on MNF is where I heard about it decades ago. Was too cheap to shell out for the whole bird version that has the cornbread stuffing so hush puppies ARE cornbread, and heck with my brother and family now showing up, it's not gonna be enough:huh2:

• Like 3

• Moderators

I wouldn't pay that much for one either, I really don't care for them but the kind you got would be good for me. I don't care for the dark meat so I would rather have the kind you got. Plus I really only like duck one way, cut thin and blackened and spicy.

All the years I duck and rabbit hunted when I was young I gave them all away, my mother could turn either one into leather, it wasn't into later and someone else cooking them that I liked it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well it was marked down to 39 + tax and it was total Madden-ness that caused me to buy it!

Was planning on just the two of us having it for two days, that's not happening now.

Hey check their website, I got a decent price on it!!

Only had duck a-la-orange at a french restaurant one time, you know a slice or two, a sprig, small piece of fruit and a drizzle of something interesting over the top, ya wait and wait, then eat.

Kind of an oily meat but good. Just not enough.

Then loosen your tie go to the closest burger joint and get a cheeseburger for less than you paid for one stalk of asparagus at the restaurant!

Never went to one more hoity-toity restaurant and never will!

• Like 2

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Then loosen your tie go to the closest burger joint and get a cheeseburger for less than you paid for one stalk of asparagus at the restaurant!

Never went to one more hoity-toity restaurant and never will!

We don't care for it either, if we eat out it's usually Chinese, most of the time we would rather just cook something different. Seafood, steak or other things, I would rather spend the money on ingredients and have better food and more of it. Most of the time cheaper than eating out but still not cheap.  

• Like 2

Jim `N Nicks is from down there-a-bouts isn't it?

Their catfish sandwich or their sausage plate, or even the simple ribs.............

The one down at the river here went bad a couple of years ago we patronized their joint!

You're right, but I've got lots of cayenne pepper, tabasco, and I'm gonna text my brother he's still got a steel gut and has real hot sauce he could bring!!!

• Like 2

Ah H*ll

Thought since MI was right next to LA you might have them there @dtel!

My old neighbor was from the lower part of LA and she was the one that told me about them a few years ago.

https://www.jimnnicks.com/

Pretty sure it was a change in mgmt that caused me to stop going to the one here. Good Food, decent price.

16 hours ago, RT FAN said:

That looks beautiful USN. Since I don't have a smoker I have to rely on Greenberg's smoked Turkeys from Tyler, Texas to get my fix!

My brother lives in Tyler and we get those from time to time as well.  They're outstanding.   The carcasses make great soup too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I actually saw snowflakes and heard the sleet hitting cars in the parking lot where I was in the ten o'clock hour this morning. In the upper 40s I think then but it was cold a quarter mile up today here.

Before that I saw something at the grocery store I had never seen before. Knew you could order then online. $65 for a whole one with the cornbread dressing, too much for my budget today.

$40 for a 4 1/4 lb breast. Yeaaaaaa! We're having cajun tomorrow. We miss you John Madden and loved you for years. Get my football on Saturdays now.

Got some Zatarans red beans and rice and hush puppies too!

IMG-20181109-144037.jpg

& Luzianne Tea ONLY allowed in this house!

A local store made these for years. We'd get the whole turkey stuffed with boudain. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Jim `N Nicks is from down there-a-bouts isn't it?

They started out in Birmingham. Their BBQ is pretty decent to me, of course everyone likes something different when it comes to BBQ. I did stop at a location in Montgomery several years ago and wasn't impressed with any aspect of that location. Must have been off-season for the circus. They had a bunch of clowns working there.

Keith

• Like 1

I loved their catfish sandwich, S&P Catfish was "invented" not too far from here. The Belmont hot hole, where the hot water leaves the hydro-electric plant........ 5 to 8 pounders all day long if you know the right spots to linger. Their BBQ is not native to these parts but ok, their sausages, pimento cheese, slaw and stuff was really good when I went there 4 -10 years ago.

Then they gave me the shaft twice after I drove twenty miles to pay them for their food ??

NAY NAY NAY!

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Thought since MI was right next to LA you might have them there @dtel!

For the most part, if we go to LA it's either the cruise terminal or the French Quarter.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Alton Brown's

One of my favorite cooking shows, he is the only one who really explains what happens when cooking, the chemical changes in food and ingredients.

• Like 2

Alton Brown did have a good show I saw sometimes, Justin Wilson was/is? very entertaining!

BTW that little Turducken is all gone...well my nephew is finishing his seconds duck and reds&rice with the sausage and Tabasco I made it with!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Justin was but still, reruns on PBS...I hope. Passed away awhile back...RIP:)

Go down to the slab near the river mouth, bay more lately to muse upon the gulls, pelicans and the abundant cormorants flying overhead or sitting like birds of a feather flocking nearby. Fishermen and their families enjoying the weekend with either catching their seafood or picking it up locally.

Enjoying my swamp cabbage, cheese grits, hush puppies and the fried mullet which I readily enjoy, especially smoked. Life is good enough here and healthy enough with an adequate liquor store a flash away, with a selection that merits attention from time to time. Bought some SA Octoberfest recently to celebrate a birthday last month along with an old school Smirnoff which my brother tends to like a smidgen of after taking the top off of a Chelada, making it a slightly similar B Mary...Merry times of late riding along with my brother who still likes to hunt and I occasionally see some wildlife, which is fun along with riding in ratrods, model T's and VW 3 wheeler he has built, or modified upon. Listening to my records and after 3 months or so here am finally turning to local TV just for a change. It is quiet enough sometime, you can almost hear yourself think. So far, living the life of but not near a life of Riley. A Spartan existence of minimal wealth and downsizing materially may be my course of direction. Maybe my next boatride will clear my head more. Meanwhile, semi-retired and doing craigslist although about sold out and the stock market keep me connected somewhat. Yes, a good crab boil of blues, a good idea and, good for your immunity. Of which, hope all are doing well here, of course...:emotion-44:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Alton Brown did have a good show I saw sometimes, Justin Wilson was/is? very entertaining!

BTW that little Turducken is all gone...well my nephew is finishing his seconds duck and reds&rice with the sausage and Tabasco I made it with!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1