Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

On 1/28/2019 at 4:38 PM, WillyBob said:

I have an Aurora with the pancake motor, still. My cousin had HO cars with a vibrator motor. They  buzzed around the track.

I loved those little pancake motors. Those things worked great.

• Like 5

On 1/28/2019 at 4:38 PM, WillyBob said:

I have an Aurora with the pancake motor, still. My cousin had HO cars with a vibrator motor. They  buzzed around the track.

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

I loved those little pancake motors. Those things worked great.

Slot cars, those were the days.   Like many, I started with the gateway drug of Aurora HO buzzers, before graduating to AMT 1/24 scale with functional steering.

My fondest slot car memory is the evening there was a frantic knock on the door of our Spring Lake, MI home.  My buddies had raced on their bikes the few blocks from the local slot car emporium, which was a large track that filled an old hardware store, to tell me that some guys from Muskegon had blown into town, with what they thought were fast cars.  They urged me to grab my DIY Corvette with a Pittman motor in a DIY copper tubing chassis to show these out-of-towners what FAST really is.   Oh . . . the pressure of being a slot-car-slinger.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Slot cars, those were the days.   Like many, I started with the gateway drug of Aurora HO buzzers, before graduating to AMT 1/24 scale with functional steering.

My fondest slot car memory is the evening there was a frantic knock on the door of our Spring Lake, MI home.  My buddies had raced on their bikes the few blocks from the local slot car emporium, which was a large track that filled an old hardware store, to tell me that some guys from Muskegon had blown into town, with what they thought were fast cars.  They urged me to grab my DIY Corvette with a Pittman motor in a DIY copper tubing chassis to show these out-of-towners what FAST really is.   Oh . . . the pressure of being a slot-car-slinger.

Don't leave us hanging.....how did you fare? Did you defend the local slot car honor? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Most certainly.  Those challengers were sent back to Muskegon with their pickups between their legs.

Most excellent.

One of my older brothers was into slot cars big time when we lived in Daytona.  There were a couple of really big multi track facilities there then.  This would have been in the mid to late 60's.  He was all about modding his cars and controllers and I frequently saw him hand winding motors for specific applications.  He had quite the collection of bodies, motors, controllers and parts.  My favorite car was an open air car that had a big Rat Fink at the steering wheel with one hand on the wheel and the other reaching way up to a tall stick shifter.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Most excellent.

One of my older brothers was into slot cars big time when we lived in Daytona.  There were a couple of really big multi track facilities there then.  This would have been in the mid to late 60's.  He was all about modding his cars and controllers and I frequently saw him hand winding motors for specific applications.  He had quite the collection of bodies, motors, controllers and parts.  My favorite car was an open air car that had a big Rat Fink at the steering wheel with one hand on the wheel and the other reaching way up to a tall stick shifter.

Vintage-1-24-Scale-Revell-Rat-Fink-in-his-Lotus-Ford-Slot-Car

Condition:
Used

Ended:
Jan 06, 2019 , 6:53PM

Winning bid:
US $602.00

• Vintage-1-24-Scale-Revell-Rat-Fink-in-his-Lotus-Ford-Slot-Car
Have one
  • Like 3

Well back online with the pc today a mild oc to 4Ghz /45 degrees C with the stock cooler. Helps that the heat in the daytime here is set at 65F.

Found out the pump in the water cooler went out before I tried to update the motherboard bios..... a perfect storm of bullya to destroy a pc.

Fighting with the newest version of win10 `cause it doesn't like me to use apps that have been doing their thing for years that msft wants to get in on that action now:mad:.

Now I can relax after the frustration of getting this box set up again.

It was only 30 at noon here when we were headed home (Oct. weather in the 1970s here) and what better to pick up for lunch when I'm tired of cookin' & cleanin' when you're from NC???

This is it I tell ya!

IMG-20190130-122818.jpg

IMG-20190130-124653.jpg

Barbeque (here it's pulled pork w/vinegar & red peppers) sandwich,  slightly overcooked hush puppies today, fried okra, ONLY Luzianne tea here and real good banana pudding!

On our finest dishes that were in the can hours ago.

• Like 4

We're up to the mid 40s* now... that's nice Eldon... but where did the babes go?

*Thats what it said on my phone, our kitchen window thermometer showed we were at 37 after I logged off, down to 35 now an hour later.  Die bugs DIE!!

Edited by JohnJ
  • Haha 2

My previous life in the center seat. A little over 8,000 hours doing this. You will note that at 200' above the water number one engine is shut down to save fuel. At times we also shut down number 4 but were limited to a minimum of 1000' with two of the four shutdown. Is it any wonder that this aircraft suffers from corrosion from salt spray. Fun times...fun times...for kids, too old for this crap now.

https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=RlS0-bZct5I&u=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dw17qIrXL2r4%26feature%3Dshare&fbclid=IwAR3TIMzxtYatcopqtqpmn6OWEDdKjeJRGvmrZhruhmqzpaEqQVr4YMHV78I

• Like 3