Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Well electricity was what I was told was the enemy twenty years ago. Then "they" paid for their last political convention with in my town with it.

Oh wait, they added fees and per kw increases to my electric bill after that convention (documented that the party did not pay that bill, the "underwriters" did) so I paid for those hateful people to party & attack others downtown. One of his buddies bought our electric company and merged it with his when he was in charge before that convention. Our power goes out a lot since, blinked twice this morning. Didn't all those "green" companies get 500 million each from you know who?

random intertwined thoughts

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

It's crazy, we did not buy the car because it was a hybrid but because it was a good deal. We had no idea it would be fined for being hybrid. The other thing is we had the same exact car, the same year, model and color but with over 200k miles. This car had less than 80k and was a great price, we did not know it was hybrid or what that meant when we were told about the car.

Our son in law flips cars and ran across it so for the price and miles we got it. The one really stupid thing about this car is was apparently changed to a hybrid during the same model year. There is a metal piece about 4"x4" that runs the width of the car, we didn't notice it at first because of where it's at. When I went to check for a spare tire there was none like many cars these days. The "piece" that controls the hybrid system was mounted across and through where the tire normally goes under the mat. You can not put a spare in the compartment now, so we have the spare I took out the other car before we got rid of it and it has to sit in the back taking up space.

Like many cars now if you bought this car new it has no spare but comes with a little 12v compressor and a can of fix a flat, that would work well for a blowout. 

Besides this, it is a good car, not a scratch and runs great and has plenty of room although less now with the spare in the back. It gets about 23-25 mpg with or without the hybrid system on, how it works is it shuts the engine off when you come to a stop, yes off 0 rpm and restarts instantly when you take your foot off the brake. Good thing there is a button to turn it off. It might get 1-2 mph more if your stopping alot, it's silly.

C038750E-EB2D-4DE4-A556-D66DED16A0D9.jpeg

• Like 5

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Just hope you never have to buy the hybrid battery for that thing $$$$$$$$$$$

It's a regular battery, now supposedly there is another battery in that big tube blocking the spare tire? If it has a problem I will just try to turn off the hybrid system, probably not that easy.

Now the bad part is the alternator, I was told it is around $300+ since that's the part that restarts the car when you let off the brake. I tried to look them up, local parts do not carry them, rock auto is out of stock and gives no price, this is not a good sign. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

So that's the front of your place Elden. One thing great to have all over the south... Shade. Vehicle looks nice too, like you're thinking of more speakers!

Yes, gravel driveway and that's the yard bar in the top left out in the garden. Everything is diy including 100% of the house, if I can do it I do not pay others.

No more speakers.............unless its a deal I can't pass up. :blush:

• Like 3

If rockauto doesn't have it I'd be looking for a spare way before I needed it. They had everything my 9C1 needed except only one side of the larger diameter front end when I upgraded that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mine is no hybrid, but it has no spare tire either. Compressor and a can of fix a flat. 2012 Camaro. I believe many newer cars have this same strategy. Personally I'd rather have a spare tire in the trunk or somewhere. Sheesh, give me at least a little doughnut spare.

I hope i never own a vehicle that stops the engine @ a signal light. Silliest thing to me, for another 1 or 2 mpg? Talk about wear and tear on the starter. And what drives the AC compressor while the engine is off in the summertime (outside temp @ 99F)?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

t's a regular battery, now supposedly there is another battery in that big tube blocking the spare tire? If it has a problem I will just try to turn off the hybrid system, probably not that easy.

I just checked ebay.  Used hybrid batteries for that run between 450 - 900 dollars.  That's USED.  I don't think that you can disable anything in the hybrid system.

• Sad 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

If rockauto doesn't have it I'd be looking for a spare way before I needed it. They had everything my 9C1 needed except only one side of the larger diameter front end when I upgraded that.

I need to start looking.

4 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Mine is no hybrid, but it has no spare tire either. Compressor and a can of fix a flat. 2012 Camaro. I believe many newer cars have this same strategy. Personally I'd rather have a spare tire in the trunk or somewhere. Sheesh, give me at least a little doughnut spare.

I hope i never own a vehicle that stops the engine @ a signal light. Silliest thing to me, for another 1 or 2 mpg? Talk about wear and tear on the starter. And what drives the AC compressor while the engine is off in the summertime (outside temp @ 99F)?

Even worse it's the alternator that restarts the car, no sound at all which is different from the starter starting it. You can't really even tell the difference in mileage, maby if you were in the city alot? A retired mechanic and a neighbor friend was here the other day and I was telling him about it, he just looked at me silly so I took him for a ride, he as shocked.

If you sit for more than 30 seconds at a light it automatically starts the engine, don't know if it's an ac temperature sensor or something because of the electrical usage running without the alternator making electricity?

Just now, CECAA850 said:

I just checked ebay.  Used hybrid batteries for that run between 450 - 900 dollars.  That's USED.  I don't think that you can disable anything in the hybrid system.

Not good

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

An auxiliary battery.

There is a button to not engage the hybrid part, this makes it act like a normal car, I guess we need to keep it off, we usually do.

The button is the same button to turn on the ac. You press the button to turn on the ac and it's yellow, press it again and it's green and the hybrid system is then on, leave it yellow and it is like a normal car. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Once the hybrid battery can no longer keep up with the electrical demand the engine starts and the alternator starts charging.

That makes sense.

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Start/stop alternators on the new trucks run about 3 grand.

Not good again.

These engineers need to have a little common sense and think past what might sound like a good idea on paper at first, starting with fix a flat instead of a spare.

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:
27 minutes ago, dtel said:

leave it yellow and it is like a normal car. 

That's a good feature to have.

I am just hoping with it turned off it still runs normally if there is a problem with the Hybrid system, probably not? 

18 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

That's the corporate line anyways.

The difference in weight would be very minimal with milage, the truth is probably $ saved.

My neighbor retired mechanic bought a new Chevy and it had a compressor and fix a flat. We were talking and he said he asked the dealer and he said the same thing you did weight and mileage.

He found a donut spare on ebay and bought it while he was here, they go for about $200. I asked him what do you think it was a minimal difference in mileage or the cost of the tire?  If anyone can buy one for $200 GM can probably get them for each car for $50-$75 or less, its about money not 1/4 mpg at most better.

• Like 1