Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Thanks for sharing the photo's Carl.  I hope you both are enjoying the down time.  How did your LF react when you told her you two were going on vaca Chuck? Take Jake with you?   😂  😂   Had to!  Have a great time Carl!  Apex brother apex!

If you don't see any gators or big iguanas in the river be aware that the gars are mean, fast and barracuda like fish that have been known to jump into your boat to bite you.

Found a picture of a big one (not me there): The teeth are gnarly with their mouth opened!

alligatorgar25.jpg

• Like 1

Hello boys & girls :rolleyes:

That was in jest, just for Carl. I've only seen them a foot or two long on the Halifax, didn't see them in the Banana river (same thing down at the Cape). There was cell phone video on the news once when I lived there of one jumping into a fishing boat and biting one of them.

That big kid sure is happy with that giant one though, the muddy water seems more like TX too!.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldtimer said:

7 hours since that post.  3 hours since the last post in the lounge.  Has the life been sucked out of this place?  I've seen more life in a nursing home on a Friday night.

Yeah....maybe we need Mark and Beeker back to liven things up.  I think things are more lively over in RTM and Vinyl Spinning.  Perhaps some of our key board warriors have gravitated there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, dtel said:

Plus they can live a very long time out of the water, they do feel twice there size if you hook one.

This is a fact. I have landed a couple 5 foot plus gars out of Lake Ponchartrain many years ago. They are really easy to catch. I brought one home to clean and eat the flesh, but those scales and skin, might as well be Kevlar armor. I took a Skil saw to it out of frustration. People who know what they are doing use a sharp hatchet to open em up and clean.

Here is a crazy fact. For 37 years I lived close to the Bonne Carre Spillway. It has 2 large canals probably 75 yards across and approx one mile long, from the excavation of dirt to build the spillway levees. These two canals are connected by a smaller canal which also joins the lake. A Google overhead view will show you the layout. The entire spillway is 7500 acres in area. Anyways, I have hunted, fished, 3 and 4 wheeled, boated, knee boarded, swam, target shot, hiked, and rode dirt bikes over the years. Its like a huge play ground for local residents. I fished quite a bit there and I have seen big gar roll on the surface of those canals while fishing early in the mornings. 

So we got those big gar in there swimming and feeding in the canals, same place where many people swim and ski. Never heard of anyone attacked by a large gar, but after I saw one in the spillway, it kind of worked in my mind. No doubt one of those 5 or 6 footers could grab a human and take them down below the surface. These big gars are supremely powerful swimmers. Especially a child swimming, good grief it would be easy for them to do. But it doesn't because they are intimidated by large prey (human size).

Same with alligators. I have bass fished in a 14' aluminum skiff and seen 10 foot+ alligators sunning on tree blowdowns along the canal and when you get close, they hit the water. I once saw a 12 footer about 30 years ago, he did the same. You start watching the water after, least I did for a while. This occurred along Reserve Canal (diff location) drainage canal to Lake Ponchartrain. You don't see the really large gators any more, they have been mostly killed off by the hunters. Alligators avoid human contact if possible.

In 40 years I have never heard of a large alligator gar jumping in a boat. Never heard of anyone being bitten by one either in the wild. 

spillway history/facts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnet_Carré_Spillway

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What do y'all do when your beans aren't very good :( and your constitution won't let you toss them?

I've got some good stuff in again this week, but the hopper in my grinder is full of the previous stuff. This is going on a couple of months now.... trying to get back into the groove where I just do it subconsciously in the morning like the first thing we all do. 

It happens every now and then that wherever I get mine from either gets a different batch that isn't as good or flat out roasts and puts an entirely different bean in the bags.

Gotta use them and mainly I just put a tsp of sugar into a qt of coffee. Today a couple of drops of maple syrup and milk, not my idea of a good am drink but I'm doing it. I've used brown sugar (it takes a lot less of this) and years ago almond extract. The flavored coffee fad didn't hit me hard at all. While I'm at it I have made my own mochas when i had a good dark roast after dinner with a good real (you know.. four ingredients) chocolate ice cream.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

What do y'all do when your beans aren't very good :( and your constitution won't let you toss them?

I've got some good stuff in again this week, but the hopper in my grinder is full of the previous stuff. This is going on a couple of months now.... trying to get back into the groove where I just do it subconsciously in the morning like the first thing we all do. 

It happens every now and then that wherever I get mine from either gets a different batch that isn't as good or flat out roasts and puts an entirely different bean in the bags.

Gotta use them and mainly I just put a tsp of sugar into a qt of coffee. Today a couple of drops of maple syrup and milk, not my idea of a good am drink but I'm doing it. I've used brown sugar (it takes a lot less of this) and years ago almond extract. The flavored coffee fad didn't hit me hard at all. While I'm at it I have made my own mochas when i had a good dark roast after dinner with a good real (you know.. four ingredients) chocolate ice cream.

Just power through the old beans.  It'll make the good stuff taste that much better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Make iced coffee.  Brew up a big batch or two and keep in the fridge to have ready.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 7/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, dirtmudd said:

I start my day .... Or all day with coffee.... Hot or cold. Cold during the summer months....

On 7/5/2019 at 6:44 PM, JohnJ said:

Why bother.     Bleh:emotion-41:

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

37 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Make iced coffee.  Brew up a big batch or two and keep in the fridge to have ready.

• Thanks 1

Don't buy the ice cream anymore since she can't eat anything now, so I'll stick with the milk for now.

Powering through..... yes that's like burning the toast, scrape it off with a table knife and eat it anyhow.

Iced coffee?  How much will you pay me to do that?

They're kids starving in china this town right now so waste-not / want-not!