The Klipsch Audio Community
Tarheel

Cables, Coffee, and Cocktails

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Just like latex paint that never dries too! Comes from the same place!

It is just such a pain to fill tires with it, messy and way to heavy, but you can get your favorite color and it's easy to see if you have a slow leak but blowouts can be a real mess.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Davis said:

Also did they quit teaching that you walk towards traffic while walking on the shoulder of a road.

I travel a busy state highway and kids with headphones on walking with traffic are clueless.

Agree 100%; walk against traffic and bicycle with traffic, but follow the damn laws.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Na, anyway it's better to fill them with a mix of acetylene and oxygen

Several years back they built a brand new dealership next to the interstate here in Beaumont.  Every fewday they'd fill one of those big balloons with helium and fly it to attract  attention and announce they were open.  The first Saturday that the service department was open they had zero traffic.  Technicians and idle time are a bad combination.  They took an oxygen/acetylene rig and fired it up.  They adjusted the flame till it was a nice blue and snuffed it out on a 2x4.  With the gas mixture still going they stuck the end in one of the big balloons.  After it was inflated they tied it off and naturally it wouldn't float.  5 or 6 smaller helium filled balloons fixed that issue and off it went with a string tethering it to the ground.  As they let the string out they'd hit the string with WD-40.  Once it got 50 to 100 ft up (I get conflicting info on the height) they lit the string and let go.  The shock wave from the explosion cracked 2 of the large full length glasses on the showroom.  The police and fire department both showed up but surprisingly no one knew what happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

That's exactly how we got the mixture right, it is really strong/loud. A one gallon zip lock bag is as loud as any shotgun, balloons work great even the small ones. I learned this back working in a shipyard, even an empty potato chip bag is quite loud.

One reason for doing it was there is nothing to fly and hurt someone so it was a pretty safe way of making alot of noise, but beware of static electricity.

• Like 3

Elden @dtel you’re a blast.

You’re wise to avoid static electricity.  First, no more mohair sweaters or sneaker loafers.  They rub some people the wrong way.  Then we could bathe you in Cyastat have Christy do a PVA peel on you. 

Dave @Mallette swears by it.

TAA_articles.pdf

said:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If that would make me like new I would give it a try, but it is a little scary coming from Dave.

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

If that would make me like new I would give it a try, but it is a little scary coming from Dave.

What, Dave the Texarkana preservationist?

Yes, he is kind of crazy, and two people like that together can sometimes be bad. 

• Haha 2

Get ready Florida

204641_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Acetylene and oxygen balloons, BIG Glad bags, 50 gal drums, etc. Ignition by broken mini xmas light bulbs and 9-12 V batteries.

My kids loved that once a year. (out in a big field). Try about a 100 balloons tied to a fence line and set the first one off, or hanging off a kite string.

Use your imagination. (careful with the 50 gal drums.)

Too much fun.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

You’re wise to avoid static electricity.

OMG, yes. Remember dragging my feet on carpet to get charged up so that I could zap someone or make a balloon cling to me due to the walking capacitor. 

I have set off many charges using ox / ac mix. Some steel tubing: spacer to make room for the mix can send a Pepsi can filled with water close to out of sight, the same with the old round Quaker State bottles. 

A small sandwich bag in a room will damage one's hearing. Due to fears of a static charge, when charging a larger volume, I would use a hose, a wire with a remote broken bulb in the bag and a battery to set off shockwaves that was heard miles away. 

• Like 2

I had so much fun w/Zerostat's when they were cheap... "Oh that doesn't work."   Back of the neck works great when they're not looking  :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

A small sandwich bag in a room will damage one's hearing. Due to fears of a static charge, when charging a larger volume, I would use a hose, a wire with a remote broken bulb in the bag and a battery to set off shockwaves that was heard miles away. 

That was what scared me about filling bags or balloons, possible static electricity. For the most part nothing will fly and hurt you except a little piece of what your filling, but that amount of sound that close to you could be really bad. I would guess it could blow you your ears permanently in one shot, since you can feel the pressure wave from a distance, at arm's length  it would be scary. 

7 hours ago, dtel said:

Get ready Florida

Or Georgia or South Carolina or North Carolina

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, dtel said:

Get ready Florida

204641_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Yes here she comes, we are shutting in production and evacuating all personnel in the next couple days. Projected to skip into the gulf after crossing Florida so you guys on the gulf coast get ready too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Paper bags filled with acetylene mix go off nice. 

when I was a kid, we got hold of calcium carbide.... don't know where we got the idea, but we started launching coffee cans. The old ones that took a "key" to open.   Put a touch hole in the can with a little water and carbide.  After some thought... I know where the bad idea came from. PopularMechanics ads for carbide cannons. 

didn't take long to learn to use a long "stick" to set them off... and that if you wait too long to set it off, you get a nice little candle.

wife is going to to Dr this AM. Burning pain at her belt line and tossing up all night.  Appendix? Gall bladder? Salmonella? Whatever it is, seems I have not gotten it, yet. She does get exposed to a lot of crap.  Them kids.... Hope I'm not next. That is the tendency.

first serious weather of the season for you east coast folks. Y'all be careful. Just 'cause you're used to it, doesn't lessen the danger... Like here... when it gets hot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, rockhound said:

Yes here she comes, we are shutting in production and evacuating all personnel in the next couple days. Projected to skip into the gulf after crossing Florida so you guys on the gulf coast get ready too.

You folks stay safe.  We need a quiet season here after Florence last fall. 

• Like 2

on a lighter note

wife brought home a stack of vinyl.

She sez the music teacher "found" this stuff in wife's storage...I doubt it

5 copies of Larry Chesky and his Orchestra  - "I want to Play in Your Band" LPs..... virgin. Never been opened, still in original shrink wrap.  Polka.

Will sell cheap

A set of music appreciation classical music lps and [I didn't know they were doing this] a set of talking book American history lps.  No vintage on LarryChesky lps... The others are 1970.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@WillyBob

Drink some beer, grill a few brats, polka down and you and the lady could start a hoedown for the whole neighborhood!

It's not been over 80 degrees here in a few days the sun came back out and Clemson plays Ga Tech tonight!

Autumn is Coming 🌜

• Like 3