Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Looks like y'all dodged a bullet. Not sayin' there won't be some powder burns.

Just puttered today. Listened to music... Watching the kittens

Wife went back to work. Feeling OK. Not great... has to cream her coffee, still.

Cooked a [sorta] light dinner for her/us. Fried some cod. Egg wash and rolled in Ritz cracker crumbs. Peas, raw sliced red bell peppers and some carrots.

Anyone have feelings about the "veggie burgers" being marketed by the fast food places?

Do we remember the stink about TVP {textured vegetable protein] added to meat as an extender?  Looks as though it is OK as long as you don't mix it with meat?

...and we are starting to get some mosquitoes, finally. Not like I look forward to them. They usually have shown a month ago. Been way dry for a rainy season.  We're into the deficit for annual, now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tarheel said:

8am Thursday we should get some rain and wind.  How much is anyone's guess.  It seems to be weakening a bit but that may change too.  I do minimal preparations but LF is more prudent.  She even thinks the Green Egg could blow away and wants to move it up against the house😑

I do remember conversation about a concrete culvert.... just chain the green egg with a "ham chain"... park the BMW in the service center with the highest elevation for a detail to the interior, and pick it up after next week.... oh yeah... those flat panel's would make nice shutters too lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Waiting........such a slow moving storm......much like Florence.  Best guess....land fall on the Outer Banks but we may get 105 mph winds and up to 10" rain here in Wilmington.  Wrightsville Beach (3 miles from me) and Carolina Beach (13 miles) under mandatory evacuation. 

I'll keep you posted.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Waiting........such a slow moving storm......much like Florence.  Best guess....land fall on the Outer Banks but we may get 105 mph winds and up to 10" rain here in Wilmington.  Wrightsville Beach (3 miles from me) and Carolina Beach (13 miles) under mandatory evacuation. 

I'll keep you posted.

Again! :angry2: Nature is a MOTHER.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just talked to a buddy in Beaufort S.C. and he's going to ride this one out, though they've evacuated quite a few times over the years, depending on the storms.  He's not going to get flooded in the home because we put it 9' in the air, but in that area, it's mainly about the water at this point and the rain and tidal surge specific to when it is at its worst.  Right now, it appears that they will have a big push in the early hours Thursday AM that will catch a high king tide.  I suggested he reconsider and he'll have a few hours to do that, but being on one of the outer islands, there reaches a point where the decision will be made for you. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, dtel said:

That would be enough for me, I would leave, even if it stays a 2.

Where’s your sense of adventure?  Let me tell you how i live ... I was on a flight recently, you know when the plane is ready to land and the flight attendant announces to put on your seat belts? Well, i didn’t do it. You know why? Because I don’t care. I laugh in the face in the danger.  Now just don’t cough around me, i’m ascared of that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

That would be enough for me, I would leave, even if it stays a 2.

We were neighbours for years, and during my time on the coast, I stayed for some and left for others.  To each their own.  You make your choice and live with the consequences.   

• Like 3

=== I suppose those that elect to stay, “ride it out” and not evacuate might be equated to us Midwesterners who upon hearing tornado sirens, watching TV news and radar as impending doom hovers overhead elect not to head to the the basement but head to the driveway for a better look. May as well have have a block party at that point, nearly every red-blooded male is outside making his own prediction on when or if to head below ground — good times.🌪💨

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, richieb said:

May as well have have a block party at that point, nearly every red-blooded male is outside making his own prediction on when or if to head below ground — good times.🌪💨

That's true, but with  tornado they are smaller and could miss you, although if it does not  your in bigger trouble than in a hurricane and hopefully closer to a shelter, like seconds away because that's all you may have.

But if nothing else you will have that dream of being able to fly fulfilled, but for a short time.

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

was on a flight recently, you know when the plane is ready to land and the flight attendant announces to put on your seat belts? Well, i didn’t do it. You know why? Because I don’t care. I laugh in the face in the danger.

Your just a wild man. :lol:

Now just don’t cough around me, i’m ascared of that. 

Nevermind I take that back.

Where’s your sense of adventure?

It's part of being alive, a dead adventurer has lost that feeling.

Staying in a storm is not just about the excitement, that's the fun part, the bad side besides being hurt or killed is the inconvenience of the next few weeks. A few weeks of no power and the services you get used to gives you a different attitude about appreciating things.

• Like 3