Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Carl had some info on some that were kinda frugal with the waste a while back once.

Well we don't have a corner lot Thank God, but 150 feet of curb and .33/acre they use a formula to turn $14 worth of water used into a $50 bill. Water drained off this property when we got two feet plus of rain with that hurricane in less than 12 hours, but that's the only time that I know of since 1966. We get charged for runoff that does not happen every month that we want to get water. It is billed punitively.

Old painters never quit using empty fives, I keep one that I get a qt or so when drawing hot water to the kitchen sink a couple of times. More to the tub at the other side of the house from the water heater, and seven quarts at a time from the dehumidifier that runs overnight more often than not to keep the humidity around 40%.

I can flush my #1 out of the toilet with it all day long sometimes but I can't make a gallon do a flush yet like the button on top of the new ones does!

Yep got a boring life now, I "Take the Long Way" to keep me busy sometimes, but darnit I'll keep that bill under $50 a month just to spite them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

That would be a concern with a whole house system, but most homes use a small Reverse Osmosis water filter system that just sends water to a dispenser tap at the kitchen sink, and a line to the ice maker, so the amount of water used to flush the membrane is low.

That's exactly how we have ours.  Tap at the kitchen sink and a line to the icemaker.  I've heard that permeate pumps make them more efficient but haven't purchased one.

I would want filtered water at the bathroom sinks as well, at the least.  Water is expensive, but so is drilling a well.  I like the sunk cost of a well, though.  Eventually it pays for itself, as long as no one pollutes it, which is another issue that those responsible won't own up to.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

We do have a well so there may be calcium and other minerals, but I would guess not alot of sulfur since there is no taste or smell.

The well is 375' but it all depends on where they stop from what I hear, if they stop no matter what the depth and there are way to many of certain minerals especially sulfur it will not be so good.

A friend bought a house a mile or two from here and the water was so bad they couldn't even wash clothes, it would turn them orange and smell. They had to put a new well down, they used the old well to water the grass and garden.

My parents lived in a town surrounded by Arlington that had well water so bad it killed houseplants.  And we thought Arlington lake water was bad before that.  The yard never fared too well either.   This was town water.  At least it wasn't Flint or Newark.  Around here the town has won awards for best testing water in the state, which in Texas isn't saying a lot I know.   Wells tend to stain fixtures red from the iron.  Acme Brick land yeah!

sure glad I don't worry about water ... except have or not

our water has some minerals. Nothing like sulfur. 

I don't conserve too much. Been told to "save" water for 50 years. Ya know who isn't saving our water?    The govt. They keep allowing more houses and giving them the water I "saved".  We are way beyond overdraft... A long time ago. The indigenous population showed how many can survive w/o supplementing water.  

rant over

I see CocaCola has introduced a new energy drink.  Kinda come full circle. Struck me as a little ironic.  Didn't Coke start out as an elixir to help with "the blues"?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

It is a good idea to micro-filter all your household water (I use multi-stage filtration systems at my place), but the Reverse Osmosis is mainly for drinking and cooking water. 

5 hours ago, WillyBob said:

I'm not so sure how good R/O is for you. Seems I heard it leaches minerals from your system.  I could be wrong. 

100% pure water in a plaster lined swimming pool will slowly dissolve the plaster. That is one of the reasons why pool water is treated to maintain a pH balance.

Purified water as part of a healthy diet and lifestyle will maintain a proper balance in your body. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Purified water as part of a healthy diet and lifestyle will maintain a proper balance in your body. 

I agree, but don't follow, the second 2 points at least. 

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

By minerals if you also include heavy metals, I'm OK with that.

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

getting rid of heavy metals is good.

I can only take so much of heavy metal at times myself. :unsure2:

• Like 3

I know my place in that world. I am a donor.   Now, if ya wanna bowl a few games for money, that is different.

just because it is Fall, doesn't mean it has to feel like it... but, it does. Humidity is gone.  50`AM and 90` high. Thoughts of chainsaw .  Just trying to enjoy the comfortable weather.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WillyBob said:

I know my place in that world. I am a donor.   Now, if ya wanna bowl a few games for money, that is different.

i’ve lost the bowling skills ... used to average over 200; but, the past two times that i’ve bowled, i couldn’t even slide. I did manage a 198 game; but, that was pure luck. 

Haven’t bowled regularly since 2001.  Can’t figure out why i don’t slide ... put different pads on my shoes, then rented house shoes twice ... same result. it’s as if i’m putting all my weight on that foot or something. strange, that never was a problem before -- ended up with a sore knee from the sudden stops.  so now, bowling is another thing i suck at. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/1/2019 at 9:56 AM, Marvel said:

Have you tried glucosamine?

never heard of the stuff ... i’ll have to investigate. thanks.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:56 AM, Marvel said:

and MSM every day.

a dose of the main stream media?  no thank you.   Not sure what MSM is; but, i take no vitamins or anything.  With my neck arthritis and two herniated disks in my neck, i told the surgeon that i didn’t want surgery and wouldn’t take any drugs until the pain was unbearable ... since the condition will be with me for the rest of my life, i didn’t want to depend on pain meds too soon. 

• Thanks 1