The Klipsch Audio Community
Tarheel

Cables, Coffee, and Cocktails

Another substance to look at that is indeed sulfur like what used to be in root vegetables. It hasn't been since cultures have moved away from "natural" fertilizers for farms. It tastes nasty but I put OJ in the back of my mouth like I'm going to take a BC Powder throw it in then chase it. You would have to plan on cutting your nails more often and getting haircuts more often too, but it helps with joint inflammation among other things. Look for OptiMSM and research it to see if it might be worth it for you. With a family history of arthritis and broken bones, hyper extended knees long ago, when they started acting up five or six years ago (@ 50) I started utilizing it and won't quit it now.

https://www.amazon.com/Kala-Health-Crystals-Supplement-Inflammation/dp/B07GDT5ZD8

@dtel

Pineapple upside down cake is one of my faves too, haven't had it homemade in too long now. Right up there with pecan pie done right!

9 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

. You would have to plan on cutting your nails more often and getting haircuts more often too, but it helps with joint inflammation among other things.

If my nails or hair grew any faster I would have to deal with them twice a week. But my joints do tend to get inflamed, but that's a totally different subject. 

• Like 1

Hope all of you guys get better, fighting low platelets induced by one of my life-sustaining Rx's (the dr said) funny it started after six weeks of radiation and a half week of 5F___ __U that got unplugged real quick back in `07

Yea all my stuff, just the above and vitamins & minerals plus omega-3 and a beef liver supplement cleared the two docs looking into it. Can't force enough eggs, can't force beef liver either... that's what the www says would help.

Then the purple group of medicine in town here saying that mom had pneumonia again go to the er NOW yesterday at 5pm. Her epiglottis quit working this June and it's been difficult here.  Will not go to a "purple" hosp never-ever again. So went to the teal group they took another xray said it was just a touch, caught it early and two more pills daily for a week.

Switching all of her docs from purple to teal now.  

The teal folks take the Hippocratic Oath more seriously it seems lately! 

Should be doing the lawn and yard work now but I'm taking a respite from all of this and will do half of it later then the rest tomorrow.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, dtel said:

If my nails or hair grew any faster I would have to deal with them twice a week. But my joints do tend to get inflamed, but that's a totally different subject. 

Ya know something? When I moved to FL in late `92 my hair and nails instantly begin growing and needing maintenance way more often.

Not sure if it was the beachside tropical humidity `cause it's humid here in NC way too often, maybe it was the salt air from the ocean??? 

18 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Ya know something? When I moved to FL in late `92 my hair and nails instantly begin growing and needing maintenance way more often.

Not sure if it was the beachside tropical humidity `cause it's humid here in NC way too often, maybe it was the salt air from the ocean??? 

Probably the calcium in the water.

Good thinking @CECAA850 but the water was nasty and I hooked up my countertop silver impregnated charcoal filter real quick!

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

Good thinking @CECAA850 but the water was nasty and I hooked up my countertop silver impregnated charcoal filter real quick!

Where my parents lived there was a lot of the sulfur in the water.  They had an RO filter installed just to be able to drink it.  Being on well water with galvanized piping didn't help matters.

• Like 1

Love the idea of RO but the percentage of waste is an issue with the fleecing/price of water here since a certain group took control.

23 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Love the idea of RO but the percentage of waste is an issue

That would be a concern with a whole house system, but most homes use a small Reverse Osmosis water filter system that just sends water to a dispenser tap at the kitchen sink, and a line to the ice maker, so the amount of water used to flush the membrane is low.

Carl had some info on some that were kinda frugal with the waste a while back once.

Well we don't have a corner lot Thank God, but 150 feet of curb and .33/acre they use a formula to turn $14 worth of water used into a $50 bill. Water drained off this property when we got two feet plus of rain with that hurricane in less than 12 hours, but that's the only time that I know of since 1966. We get charged for runoff that does not happen every month that we want to get water. It is billed punitively.

Old painters never quit using empty fives, I keep one that I get a qt or so when drawing hot water to the kitchen sink a couple of times. More to the tub at the other side of the house from the water heater, and seven quarts at a time from the dehumidifier that runs overnight more often than not to keep the humidity around 40%.

I can flush my #1 out of the toilet with it all day long sometimes but I can't make a gallon do a flush yet like the button on top of the new ones does!

Yep got a boring life now, I "Take the Long Way" to keep me busy sometimes, but darnit I'll keep that bill under $50 a month just to spite them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

That would be a concern with a whole house system, but most homes use a small Reverse Osmosis water filter system that just sends water to a dispenser tap at the kitchen sink, and a line to the ice maker, so the amount of water used to flush the membrane is low.

That's exactly how we have ours.  Tap at the kitchen sink and a line to the icemaker.  I've heard that permeate pumps make them more efficient but haven't purchased one.

5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I've heard that permeate pumps make them more efficient but haven't purchased one.

The pump is not really needed for a few gallons a day of household use.

I would want filtered water at the bathroom sinks as well, at the least.  Water is expensive, but so is drilling a well.  I like the sunk cost of a well, though.  Eventually it pays for itself, as long as no one pollutes it, which is another issue that those responsible won't own up to.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I would want filtered water at the bathroom sinks as well, at the least.

It is a good idea to micro-filter all your household water (I use multi-stage filtration systems at my place), but the Reverse Osmosis is mainly for drinking and cooking water. 

We do have a well so there may be calcium and other minerals, but I would guess not alot of sulfur since there is no taste or smell.

The well is 375' but it all depends on where they stop from what I hear, if they stop no matter what the depth and there are way to many of certain minerals especially sulfur it will not be so good.

A friend bought a house a mile or two from here and the water was so bad they couldn't even wash clothes, it would turn them orange and smell. They had to put a new well down, they used the old well to water the grass and garden.

My parents lived in a town surrounded by Arlington that had well water so bad it killed houseplants.  And we thought Arlington lake water was bad before that.  The yard never fared too well either.   This was town water.  At least it wasn't Flint or Newark.  Around here the town has won awards for best testing water in the state, which in Texas isn't saying a lot I know.   Wells tend to stain fixtures red from the iron.  Acme Brick land yeah!

8 hours ago, windashine said:

... o O (well, Happy National Coffee Day - Oct 1 2019)

everyday is coffee & cocktail day.. here !

unless someone is pulling your cable..

• Haha 1

sure glad I don't worry about water ... except have or not

our water has some minerals. Nothing like sulfur. 

I don't conserve too much. Been told to "save" water for 50 years. Ya know who isn't saving our water?    The govt. They keep allowing more houses and giving them the water I "saved".  We are way beyond overdraft... A long time ago. The indigenous population showed how many can survive w/o supplementing water.  

rant over

I see CocaCola has introduced a new energy drink.  Kinda come full circle. Struck me as a little ironic.  Didn't Coke start out as an elixir to help with "the blues"?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

but the Reverse Osmosis is mainly for drinking and cooking water. 

I'm not so sure how good R/O is for you. Seems I heard it leaches minerals from your system.  I could be wrong. 

• Like 1