Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

11 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Clueless on some of it

Told ya ... it's food

When I was in HI, there were events called "night fishing". Really an excuse to have a pot luck at the beach. You don't ask what it is. Just eat. Believe me, you didn't want to know what was in some of it.

One dish appeared to be candied yams with marshmallows. WRONG!!!!! It was chicken innards. The "marshmallows" were unlaid eggs. Had to give that a miss.

Planned on staying in bed longer. My SIL texted wife at 4:30AM ... to tell wife that she got her phone ringer working ... and she lives in town [here, in town]. Any wonder why I call her "the X factor"? Wife's other sister [that is local] ain't much better. We have gotten phone calls from both saying they were lost in the desert and wanted us to tell them where they were. One's only info was "We're under a tree, in a pasture". I actually knew where they were, in that case.

Edited by grasshopper
  • Haha 3

100yrs+

0.5 inch in 1910

I was here to see it in '74 and '87

Wife got the boy a pocket watch to go with his cowboy thing/s. He whined because it needs to be wound .... every day. No appreciation for how complicated a machine it is.

He had a rather quizzical look on his face when the instructions called for 30 half turns of the winding stem. Prolly never seen a wind up.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

100yrs+

0.5 inch in 1910

I was here to see it in '74 and '87

Wife got the boy a pocket watch to go with his cowboy thing/s. He whined because it needs to be wound .... every day. No appreciation for how complicated a machine it is.

He had a rather quizzical look on his face when the instructions called for 30 half turns of the winding stem. Prolly never seen a wind up.

Snow about as rare as it is in New Orleans. Snows there about every 25 years. I grew up in N.O.

Yeah the younger folks have no idea about many things, like winding a watch. Or rotary corded phones. Or phone booths or reading an actual bound book. Or milk delivery, or 45 cent gasoline and cigarettes. Nor paper grocery bags, or getting a part time job when you are 13-16 years old. I had my first part time job @ 12. 

I got one two houses down from me, younger single male, purchased the house and moved in approx 8 months ago. His father comes over to cut the yard every time so far. And put out his trash for him. I hate to say it but many of these younger adults are freakin crippled, if ya know what I mean. He does appear to have a full time job tho. Drives a black late model caddy coupe.

Across the street, was here when I moved in 4 years ago, former college student, graduated one year ago from SLU, degree in poly science. Still doesn't have a full time job, parents paying for the house, vehicle/maintenance, car insurance, food, maybe his weed too. His parents are affluent. Doesn't clean the house or wash dishes, nor put out the trash. GF does that for him. Never cuts the yard, mommy pays someone to do it regularly.

Freakin cripples. I'm a rambling here.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, polizzio said:

I'm betting you know their products from their bakery in Chalmette many many years ago. 

Yes I remember it well, we lived there for years after we got married, wife is from Slidell which is where lived after moving. We then moved across the state line into Picayune Mississippi about 25 years ago. The traffic in Slidell was terrible at times so we started looking for someplace to move and found Picayune 20- 25 minutes North and the land was about 20% of the cost in Slidell plus very little traffic. We got 6 acres here for the price of a downpayment on a "lot" in Slidell.

Never thought I would live here, we used to come horseback riding and camping up here and couldn't understand why people would want to live out in the middle of nowhere, now we know, closest neighbor is about 800-1000" feet away.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, polizzio said:

Snow about as rare as it is in New Orleans. Snows there about every 25 years. I grew up in N.O.

That's true we lived on Forstall street by the St Claude bridge and the river, a block from Holy Cross, da ninth ward. :o  We moved before carrying a gun was almost mandatory. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtel said:

That's true we lived on Forstall street by the St Claude bridge and the river, a block from Holy Cross, da ninth ward. :o  We moved before carrying a gun was almost mandatory. 

Yes, you and I discussed this before. I attended Holy Cross for 3 years. Two of those years I rode NOPSI buses from Carrollton and Claiborne Ave (uptown) and back every day. The St Claude bus used to get pretty interesting some days on the way home, especially with riders getting on around Franklin Ave.

So I need to move to MS? I used to hunt deer in Dolorosa MS, loved it (18 miles north of Woodville, we leased 1800 acres). Lots of wild game. And travel to MS for dirt car races. Boiled peanuts and dirt races on a Saturday night. Met some characters in MS...always had a good time there.

Jackson MS is like NO these days I hear, gangsta.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Third day in a row for top down driving and unlike one forum bud I haven't hit a thing.  60-70 degrees @Christmas time.  Works for me.

Same here, 73F right now in Hammond LA. Cloudy tho, pretty foggy this morning. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

The St Claude bus used to get pretty interesting some days on the way home, especially with riders getting on around Franklin Ave.

I could imagine.'

I do remember the non stop busses running up and down Forstall street, but back then it was a nice neighborhood, we would walk up to Claiborne to the hot tamale stand on the corner passing all the neighbors sitting out on the porch at night. Back then you knew all the neighbors, not in the same place you do not want to know the neighbors, after moving my parents tried to sell that shotgun house. Being it was getting bad fast there were no offers, they ended up donating it to a local church, I think it's a vacant lot now.

So I need to move to MS? I used to hunt deer in Dolorosa MS, loved it (18 miles north of Woodville, we leased 1800 acres).

Na, Hammond is nice, 25 years ago when we bought this 6 acres it was 13K, higher now since the hurricane many moved across the lake and property values went crazy.

There are plenty of deer here, we see them in the yard, eating the vegetable garden and other plants. We just look at them never shot one, maby one day ?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dtel said:

I could imagine.'

I do remember the non stop busses running up and down Forstall street, but back then it was a nice neighborhood, we would walk up to Claiborne to the hot tamale stand on the corner passing all the neighbors sitting out on the porch at night. Back then you knew all the neighbors, not in the same place you do not want to know the neighbors, after moving my parents tried to sell that shotgun house. Being it was getting bad fast there were no offers, they ended up donating it to a local church, I think it's a vacant lot now.

Na, Hammond is nice, 25 years ago when we bought this 6 acres it was 13K, higher now since the hurricane many moved across the lake and property values went crazy.

There are plenty of deer here, we see them in the yard, eating the vegetable garden and other plants. We just look at them never shot one, maby one day ?

Elden, let me tell you a couple days when we were walking from Holy Cross to St Claude ave to catch the bus, a couple older neighborhood black guys jacked up any of the smaller or younger students. This would have been 1972 or 1973, seen it with my own eyes. If they could push you around and take ur change or watch or whatever of value, they would. I'd just tell em "phuck off"! I was bigger for my age too, so that helped. But on the bus when ur outnumbered, one had to be smart/quiet. Or get ur azz rolled around maybe.

I don't hunt anything any more, not for 25 year. Rather take a picture, enjoy just observing the critters and birds now. Age has a way of seasoning your priorities/perception in life. And faith too.

• Like 2